Columbus day weekend, what's your camping plans?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by mdcamping, Sep 11, 2016.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Here up in the northeast Columbus day weekend is traditionally the last camping weekend. This year we booked a 5 night return trip to Fishermen's Memorial Campground in Narragansett RI. We love the fact the campground is just a mile or so from several beaches. Some things that will be on our plans, day trip to block Island, tour the Newport mansions, gardens, cliff walk. This year we bought 2 new bikes so we have been taking advantage of them the past year as along with our kayaks.

One thing of interest that almost got me caught flat footed. I decided to book late this year because we were not sure were we were going for the holiday. I was expecting plenty of sites available on reserve America given it was off season and the huge amount of W/E sites at the campground. To my surprise they were ALL booked yesterday. I thought I was up the creek. I re-logged on early this morning and found one new opening and quickly grabbed it. Got lucky. Point said, I think with the improved economy my booking will have to come earlier in the year

I am also hoping to squeeze in one more trip in the next 2 weeks because fall up in New England just can't be beat!

So if your full time, touring or seasonal transient what is your camping/RVing plans for the upcoming Columbus Day holiday?

Mike

Banditoman60 likes this.
  2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We try to stay away from busy parks on holiday weekends, so we might spend that weekend and beyond at our very private favorite boondocking spot in the Adirondacks. Right now we're at Lake Powhatan Recreation Area campground near Asheville, NC, but we'll be up north for a couple of appointments in early October.

3. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

Full-time RVer. Will be at Sunscape RV Resort near Casa Grande, AZ. Don't know what days I'll be working yet. So don't know what I'll be doing that weekend yet.

4. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

We are thinking of using our Harvest Host membership to visit and stay at a winery outside of Gettysburg, PA. It is a fairly easy drive up there and we love the area.

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Mike - Good on you getting that last minute space at that campground you will be going to. Times indeed have changed and there are many times the amount of RVs out roaming the highways and byways now than even just ten years ago. We just got back from a lovely week's stay at Emigrant lake in Oregon so will be staying home over the Columbus Day weekend but we wish you a very good trip and a super nice stay. Be careful on those two wheelers and don't get your pant leg caught in the sprocket............... :rolleyes:

Regards, BankShot................(aka Terry)

6. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

"We are thinking of using our Harvest Host membership to visit and stay at a winery..."

Oooo! Can hardly wait to hear what you all think of your Harvest Host weekend. Been reading about this on Chuck Woodbury's RVTravel.com newsletters. Have a great time!

7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hi Terry,

Yup I have noticed the past few years that things have picked up.

DW wants to do more biking on our camping trips so I don't argue... ;)
    We definitely try to air on the side of caution but have had our share with camping and injury's. plenty of emergence room visits: some of which includes DW blowing out her ACL on one camping trip, broken leg on another, a tick bite and coming down with lyme disease. :eek:

Mike

8. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

I could so easily go off topic with this, but we joined about a month ago and stayed at three hosts already (there are several within easy reach of home, great for a night away) and they have all been wonderful. Last Friday I stayed at a vineyard and brewery in Pennsylvania, and while I didn't care for any of their beers (and I love a good craft beer) they had a great jazz concert that normally has a cover, they let me in for free, and the grounds were fantastic.

This was our setup at the first one we stayed at:
    IMG_20160828_185040998-M.jpg

9. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

Jeez, that would almost make you want to stop camping... almost.

mdcamping likes this.
  10. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We "camp" with the punches! :D

Mike

11. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt
    Expand Collapse

Castaways Campground in Berlin, Maryland just outside of Ocean City, Maryland for the Endless Summer Crusin' Weekend/Columbus Day Weekend. We are taking our TT and '75 Chevelle to one of the best static/kinetic car shows in the world. Castaways is a great campground near the beach and the cars cruise up and down a 10 mile stretch of highway in Ocean City all day long and into the evening. When the cars aren't cruising the streets they are parked at either the inlet parking lot, or the convention center parking lot so you can check the cars out close up and personal. This 4-day car show is gearhead heaven.
    https://www.specialeventpro.com/endless-summer-cruisin

#11 Dirk Pitt, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  12. drfife

drfife
    Expand Collapse

Beavers Bend State Park near Broken Bow, Oklahoma. Beautiful park. We are there every year on the second weekend in October.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

13. Banditoman60

Banditoman60
    Expand Collapse

we're leaving early tomorrow am for the Adirondacks, spend a few days or a week then headed south to the Blue Ridge Parkway for the rest of October. hopefully some color by the time we get down there. I got 2 bros in Georgia I'm gonna have a beer or 6 with before we turn back. Happy Columbus Day Camping all .... we usually go camping in the White Mountains of NH or over to Vermont for a week but this year, we're doing South

14. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Didn't have any camping plans, but thanks to Matthew, looks like I'll be taking it inland to my in-laws.

15. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Leaving in a few hrs for RI. As of now Matthew seems to be a non issue.

Happiest Camper, I hope all is well and stay safe!

Mike

16. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Well, my in-laws got it bad - but not as bad as our house. When the power went out, I was able to get my small stoves and propane from the camper and keep cooking in the carport.

17. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Just glad to hear you and your family are safe.

18. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Second that Texasrvers. To sit and watch the news and see all those whose homes that are inundated with water, or that have been flattened by the hurricane, really puts things into perspective as to how powerful and destructive Mother Nature is. Puts a real lump in one's throat for sure. Our hearts and prayers go out to all that suffered losses in this storm................

Bankshot............(aka Terry)

19. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

I thought I would come back to this and say, yes, we did get up to Gettysburg and stayed at a winery just west of town. We had a good time, went into town for dinner and roamed around a bit. The location of the winery was also spectacular.

DSC_8019-X2.jpg

Banditoman60 and mdcamping like this.
  20. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Well it's that time of the year again, Trailer winterized & covered.

I wanted to report on our trip to RI last month we did have a last minute unexpected surprise, we planned our Itinerary based on the weather forecast, that was a big mistake! with in a very few short hrs they changed the forecast to early morning rain to all day and night torrential rain and wind, apparently Matthew at the last minute decided to go more north... So what was planned on 2 days of more kayaking and biking turned into 2 days of touring the mansions at Newport RI, shopping and visiting the local pubs. Still all in all we made the best of it. :cool:

Now for next year,

were hoping to do a trip to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, but a lot of things need to fall in place to get this trip to work so we shall see!

Mike