Best route Phoenix to Monterey?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by dfwcantor, Sep 27, 2016.

1. dfwcantor

dfwcantor
    Expand Collapse

Any suggestions on Best Route from Phoenix to Monterey, CA? Good Sam says I10 to I5 to 101, which looks like way too much LA area to me.

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

There are several routes you could take depending on whether you want "fast" or "scenic". If it were me I'd take 1-10 out of Phoenix and take it all the way into the LA basin till you reach the 605 north. Take it north to the 210 and then west thru Pasadena and Glendale, etc.to where it runs into and becomes the 101 or as it is also called, the Ventura freeway. That will take you north and you can cut over to the coast onto Hwy 58 just south of Salinas and that will take you over and into Monterey. Going up the 605 to the 210 will take you away from the all the congestion and heavy traffic of I-10 and I-5. I-5 just north of LA goes over what is called "The Grapevine" a big steep grade that a huge number of trucks use to get out the LA area headed north. Going out the 101 off of the 210 won't be a cakewalk but it's way mo betta than going I-5. If by chance you are in no big hurry you can cut over from 101 to Hwy 1 just north of Templeton by taking Hwy 46. That will be much slower going but way prettier. Once on Hwy 1 you will go thru San Simeon where Hurst Castle sits high on a hilltop, and also thru Big Sur, some of the prettiest scenery on the entire California coast. Again a longer and slower route than the prior one but well worth it if you have the time. Hope this helps. Have a safe trip and breathe in some ocean air for me, I miss it a lot..................

Regards, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

3. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I would concur with BankShot on the route. I've taken the route on both 101 and I-5 and the Grapevine can get really backed up with truck traffic. And occasionally, it can get ice or snow in the winter and that aint no fun at all.:eek:

4. dfwcantor

dfwcantor
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tips. I've been down the Grapvine, but it was 35 years ago in a car. The comments sparked the memory. No interest in slogging up that route.