Did I Just Alienate My RV Park Neighbour Because Of His Dogs?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by 2dogsandacatfulltime, Oct 5, 2016.

1. 2dogsandacatfulltime

2dogsandacatfulltime
    Expand Collapse

I think I just made an enemy. Here is some background.
    We full-time. We have 2 dogs and a cat. We have never had a complaint about our dogs or cat. They do not bark or make noise when we are gone unless someone hits the side of the trailer or knocks on the door.
    Our neighbor in the campground has three large pit mix dogs in his motorhome. While he is there they are quiet. You would not even know he has dogs. But when he leaves for the day he opens the windshield drapes and opens the large slider window in his kitchen area.
    When I walk from my door to my truck I have three large snarling slobbering dogs pressed up into this window with just a screen between them and me. Yes the WINDOW will easily allow them to escape if they push the screen out. It's big enough for a human to get through when open.
    When I take the dogs out it is like I have commenced World war three. I take mine (old beagles)out of their sightlines as quickly as possible. I keep waiting for them to push the screen out and come after us.
    After a week of this nonsense I invited the campground owners wife to see my dilemma. She did not want to walk anywhere close to the dogs in the window.
    ALL I ASKED WAS THAT He SHUT the WINDOW WHEN HE Left for the day.( Yes his air conditioner works so the dogs wouldn't overhea
    Well, the next morning he made several trips to the office and made a big show of being moved because of me.
    This GOOD CHRISTIAN GENTLEMAN ( campground owners description) is mad and butthurt because I want him to take responsibility for the three slobbering monsters in his care. I assume I am also being mean to his wife and children as well although I have only seen them once.
    Yes it is a Christian campground... Yes I am probably a heathen because I asked him to shut his window to contain his dogs BEFORE someone or Something got hurt.
    He uses this campground as his home base. They live in their motorhome coming and going. We are transient and will be here 2 months because of my husband's job.(Yes we are those dreadful contractors no one wants to rent to. ( Old, Married, quiet, no drinking, no drugs, clean up after our pets, quiet pets, friendly but not overly so.)
    I am now that mean dog hating woman.. I am confused by this because If someone had asked me to shut my window because my dogs were being a nuisance I would have shut my window. I wouldn't be mad and I sure wouldn't make a big deal out of it.
    Can someone explain if I have made a terrible mistake and am just too thick headed to see it?

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I'm going to say this about that. My feelings are that you have/had every right to say something to park management about this. The fact that this old boy got his liver in quiver over it is his problem and not yours. When you are neighbors with someone who has dogs such as his are I think anyone with common sense would have said something about it. Here again, this is one of those 1%ers that feels everyone else should be dancing to his tunes. The fact that he would leave a window open with a screen that could easily be broken thru by a large dog shows me he has little to no respect for you or anyone else. Pitt Bulls and the various Pitt mixes all get a bad rap at times simply due to their background and behavioral patterns, etc. I've seen really mean looking ones be as friendly as can be and others that seem friendly enough,become vicious for no real reasons. It's difficult to tell just which "type" they might be. Glad to hear that park management moved him but you have to just know that someone else is now going to be on their list to scare the crap out of. Good for you for speaking up and no you should not be the least bit concerned about it and you certainly don't seem to be thick headed to me, so kick back, have a glass of wine in peace this evening and be glad he and they are gone.......................

Regards, BankShot..............(aka Terry)

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Yeah I would look at this as glass half full, he's moved and now you don't have to deal with him. He'll get over it and just maybe on his next campground stop those windows will be closed.

Mike

4. 2dogsandacatfulltime

2dogsandacatfulltime
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for reassuring me I'm not thick headed. He is in the back off to the side by himself now so no one will be next to the window of doom.
    I generally have no problem with pit mixes most aren't bad dogs. If They had been poodles acting like that it still would have been "Mister please shut your window, I really don't want a confrontation with your dogs when they come through that screen."
    Do you think common courtesy ( and sense ) has just abandoned these folks or is it just the Me,Me, Me it's all about Me Syndrome. ( that's my name for these self absorbed folks). I'm seeing a whole lot of this type of attitude lately.
    Where we're from you have respect for other people's feelings and space. If you didn't Momma would cuff you upside the head.
    I'm guessing the campground owner has had this issue before. He definitely moved him fast enough and put him where the dogs won't be in anyone else's door space.

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

You refer to them as the "Me, Me, Me" folk syndrome and I'm thinking they are one and the same as what I refer to as "the 1%ers". I have noticed lately their numbers seem to be growing. Rude, obnoxious and just plain idiotic folks are everyplace anymore including RV parks and campgrounds. We keep our distance from them as it simply isn't worth the hassles and grief to confront some of them yet the same time I refuse to let someone make our stay unpleasant due to their selfishness and disrespect for others including us. It's really getting more and more difficult to avoid them and that is what really bothers me as an RVer. Again, you did right in what you did and I applaud you for that. Hope the rest of your trip proves out to be much nicer for you. At least you got rid of that numbnut where you're currently staying...................

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

6. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

You did the right thing. I really hate barking dogs. They can be trained. Just wish the owners could be. ;)

He has moved and that is a plus. He will get over it and if not in my opinion, to bad.