Sugar Pine Point State Park

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by lives4camping, Oct 19, 2016.

1. lives4camping

lives4camping
    Expand Collapse

Hey all,

I'm looking to go to Sugar Pine Point SP near Tahoma at Lake Tahoe along with my in-laws. My husband and I have a 30 foot Class A, and my in-laws have a 34 foot Class A. The largest size motorhome accepted is listed at 32 feet, but I'm wondering if anyone has been there in a larger RV. We have walked through the park multiple times (in winter when it's empty) and it seems like it would easily fit bigger RVs.

Anyone with experience with this park?

Thanks!
    Sophie

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

lives4camping -

We have never stayed at that particular campground on the Emerald Bay side of the lake. We have however scouted out several others around the lake and found them all to be very cramped and not all that easy to maneuver a Class A in. Tahoe area land is horrendously expensive to own and therefore the park owners have to charge high rates and cram as many RVs into their parks as possible to make it all work. The park across and down the road at Meeks Bay Resort is nice but does not allow pets of any kind on the premises, including the RV park itself. We wanted to stay there a couple of summers ago and were willing to pay the going rates however when they told us we could not bring our 7 lb. Chihuahua with us, we told them bye bye. Usually most parks have a foot or two clearance in the sites they say can only accommodate a certain length RV so if you have been there and feel your 30' Class A will fit then I would imagine it would. Hope it all works out for you when you do go. We love Tahoe and only live about an hour and a half from the lake but we have simply decided not to take our coach up there due to what I just said. I realize this wasn't much help, hopefully someone who has actually stayed at Sugar Pine Point will jump in and give you something more to go on.............

Safe travels, BankShot............(aka Terry)

#2 BankShot, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  3. lives4camping

lives4camping
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your response! I looked at Meeks Bay Resort also, but for 2017 I can only find two weekends with availability (May and September I think), and it looks like there are no refunds for RV site reservations. It's nearly impossible for us to plan that far out without the possibility of getting a refund.

We also live about 1.5 hrs from Tahoe (we're in Roseville) and would love to be able to camp there, but haven't been able to make it work so far. There was a few possibilities we found in South Lake Tahoe, so maybe that's a better option although we'd prefer to stay on the north side of the lake since it's easier for us to drive to.

Happy camping!

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

If you already haven't you might give Zephyr Cove RV Resort & RV Park a try. Located just a few miles north of Stateline on the east side of the lake. It is an "okay" park but again they have somewhat high rates during the season and sites are not really all that level. Again they cram them in and the pictures on their website aren't really anything like it looks once you drive in and start looking around. If I had to pick one park to stay in on or near the lake however this one would be it. Right across the road from the lodge and beach area it is very conveniently located also. Just a thought if you find yourself really up against it to get into a place when you need to. Depending on what time of the year you are going it would be best to make reservations far in advance to make sure you can get in if that's where you end up going.....................

Again regards, BankShot...........(aka Terry)

PS: We live in Meadow Vista, just up the road from you. Up in these parts us RVers refer to you guys as "lowlanders".............. :D