First newbie question...

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Jetfixer03, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Jetfixer03

Jetfixer03
    Expand Collapse

Ok guys, I've never trailer camped before, so I'm going to open with a really stupid question.

When it says 'electric', can I assume that is water as well? 'Full Hook-up', I take that to mean elec, water, and sewer at a minimum, and possible cable. Please set me straight.

I wasn't kidding when I said newbie! Thanks.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the group! "Electric" usually means electric only. Sites with electric and water should say so, be listed as "E/W", or have both electric and water symbols. And yes, "Full hookups" or "FHU" does mean electric, water, and sewer. Cable will usually be listed separately.

Don't worry about being a "newbie", we all were at some point... :)

3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the forum! Dutch nailed the answer to your question, but let me add some additional info.

If you contact an RV park and ask about their electric sites, verify it will suite your needs.

Look at your electric plug from your RV. Does it look like a regular plug in your home? Then you have a 20-amp plug.
    If it looks like your dryer plug with 3 prongs, then you have a 30-amp setup. If you have 4 prongs, then you have a 50-amp setup.

I explain this because in RARE cases, RV parks will only have one or two types of plugs at their pedistals. You can always get adapters to go from a larger plug (on your RV) to a smaller plug (on the pedistal), but not larger. You can adapt from 50 amp on your RV to 30 amp on the pedistals, and from 30 amp to 20 amp with adapters.

Hope I haven't confused you.

Regards,
    Chris g.

4. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Clarification - if there is 50 amp on pedestal, I use an adapter for my 30 amp trailer.

5. Jetfixer03

Jetfixer03
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. Can't wait for 2017!

6. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

I've seen places that say they're full hookup when the actually have only electric and water. They're wrong, of course, but I always verify they have sewer hookups at the sites if it's important to me, even if they claim full hookups.

7. Jack B

Jack B
    Expand Collapse

I carry two adapters one for 50 to 30, the other household to 30, also have an RV 30amp extension cord for that odd time you are throwing your electrical cord under your unit for a "wrong side" hook up. Be sure to watch for campgrounds that charge for electric as an extra. This is often the case for stays longer than overnight.
    Have a good time!

8. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Hi there and welcome to the Site. It is always good to see new members becoming engaged and asking question. I assure you, there is only ever you that will think a question is stupid. There are probably lots of other members or casual 'watchers' looking for the same answers as you but don't want to ask. We have all started off as newbies, some have asked, some have watched and waited for the answers.

Now I know your question was in relation to "what is full hook up?" and you got answers back relating to the varying amperages of power you can expect to find but I would like to recommend something that will compliment your growing collection of adapters. I would whole heartedly recommend the you invest in a decent electrical management system - not just a surge protector. Power at campgrounds can and will fluctuate. Under voltage can do significant damage to the electrical accessories in your RV in much the same way as an spike in electricity.

I would recommend that you consider buying an EMS such as the Progressive Industries 30 or 50 amp electrical power protection. They can be bought from a number of on-line sites such as Amazon or direct from the company which appears to be having a sale at the moment. Built in the US, they come with a lifetime warranty. Agreed, they are perhaps a little more expensive than what you can buy from the RV dealer or Camping World but definitely worth the added insurance for your RV and the accessories.

Have fun with the rig.