Interesting Option For Electric Only "boondocking"

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by Fitzjohnfan, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Here is a new option for campers to be able to plug in for very reasonable rates. One person used them in Utah and the rate was $1.00/hour and $1.00 to turn on the electricity.

http://www.shorepowerconnect.com/

Imagine some of the possibilities. What if Wal-Mart installed some? What about storage facilities, you could plug your RV in and have it turn on 24 hours before you arive so your refrigerator will be cold when you arrive.

RV parks could use them to upgrade their electrical infrastructrue and then customers could pay only for the electricity they need and it would prevent those showing up late and leaving early without paying. Of corse the rate would have to be higher since the customers might use other facilities that the owner would have to maintain.

What do you think?

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm, $1 an hour is a pretty steep price for electricity. One campground I was at last winter in Florida only charged me $12 for a week of metered power.

Walmart is not likely to ever install any RV specific amenities beyond designated parking spots. To do so would open them up to having to comply with any number of local, state, and federal health and safety requirements that a basic parking lot operator does not have to be concerned with.

3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Dutch_12078 @ Oct 10 2013, 04:29 PM) [snapback]35026[/snapback]

Hmmm, $1 an hour is a pretty steep price for electricity. One campground I was at last winter in Florida only charged me $12 for a week of metered power.

I agree, but take the situation where you just want to stop for the night, recharge your batteries, maybe pop some popcorn, and watch a movie. You could plug into one of these for 4 hours for a lot cheaper than getting an electric only site at a campground. Certanly not for everyone, but it does add an option for those looking for a quick stop, and electric plug in, especially those RV's without an onboard generator.

Banditoman60 likes this.
  4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

If that's all you're paying for a few hours of stopping to recharge (or pop some corn), then yes, it might be a worthwhile alternative.

5. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

With a fast charger that would be ok.

However, it is designed for electric vehicle charging and that voltage is incompatible for most RV's

6. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

We saw their "TSE Pedestals" at a truck stop a while back. They were standard 50-amp hookups, located around the border of the parking lot.

There's a picture here: Truck Stop Hookups

7. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Oct 13 2013, 11:29 PM) [snapback]35034[/snapback]

However, it is designed for electric vehicle charging and that voltage is incompatible for most RV's

Just curious, how is the voltage incompatible with most RV's?

8. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

Cool idea. National Grid in NY state is installing charging stations in the
    Buffalo area. We saw some in the parking lot of Burchfield-Penney (art
    museum), but I think they were just for cars. The theory is the people
    with electric cars will use them to "top up" while they run errands or
    go to museums or such things.

http://www.buffalonews.com/business/new-ef...c-cars-20130925

Having charging stations with compatible RV hookups would be awesome.

9. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

We really do not need charging stations but just electric as our batteries all have different amp hours. I do not think this is for spending the night at and during the day traveling, the alternator keeps us charged.

10. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(RanMan @ Oct 16 2013, 10:36 AM) [snapback]35041[/snapback]

The pictures clearly show a trucker using a standard extension cord plugging into the side of his truck. National Electric Code would require a standard outlet be compatible with any other such outlets with respect to voltage and current.

11. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Car charges are generally "level 2" which means 30 amps @ 240 volts. An rv might not like that too much. But then--it is likely to be a different plug. Specifically a J1772.

[​IMG]

It is also possible that I'm wrong and that they do have a "level 1" outlet which would be 120 volts @ 20 amps.

If it does 20 amps @ 120 volts, then with a charge of $2.00 for the first hour it competes with running a generator. After that it "wins" sorta kinda. I'd still not wish to pay $1.00 per hour for 20 amps @ 120 volts.

QUOTE(RanMan @ Oct 16 2013, 08:36 AM) [snapback]35041[/snapback]

12. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Dec 15 2013, 12:45 PM) [snapback]35423[/snapback]

Hi,

Car charges are generally "level 2" which means 30 amps @ 240 volts. An rv might not like that too much. But then--it is likely to be a different plug. Specifically a J1772.

[​IMG]

It is also possible that I'm wrong and that they do have a "level 1" outlet which would be 120 volts @ 20 amps.

If it does 20 amps @ 120 volts, then with a charge of $2.00 for the first hour it competes with running a generator. After that it "wins" sorta kinda. I'd still not wish to pay $1.00 per hour for 20 amps @ 120 volts.

Again, the pedestals that I inspected at a truck stop had standard 50 amp RV outlets. I have no idea what their fee schedule looks like. I couldn't find a way to see their fees on their web site.

13. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Dave,

Did the ones you saw have the shorepowerconnect label on them? Or were they from someone else? I did find a page that says the company offers a level 1 charging connection on their pedestals--but it doesn't specify the plug type, other than to say it is 20 amps @ 120 volts.

Hi docj,

No, it looks more like a Marinco twist lock to me, on the truck. It does suggest a 12 gauge or larger cord. It does suggest that there is a 120 volt plug on the pedestal though. Marinco is a standard--but not that many RV's have the twist lock type connectors.

[​IMG]

QUOTE(docj @ Dec 15 2013, 08:29 AM) [snapback]35422[/snapback]

The pictures clearly show a trucker using a standard extension cord plugging into the side of his truck. National Electric Code would require a standard outlet be compatible with any other such outlets with respect to voltage and current.

14. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Shorepower's web site says that all that's needed to connect to their truck stop power pedestals is a heavy duty extension cord. They do offer a kit that includes a GFCI, breakers, and outlets for installation in a trucks that are not prewired, but it's not a requirement to use their system. Marinco power cord connectors are standard on many boats, TT's and 5'vers, as well as some newer shorepower equipped truck cabs/sleepers.

15. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(Dutch_12078 @ Dec 17 2013, 10:52 AM) [snapback]35426[/snapback]

Shorepower's web site says that all that's needed to connect to their truck stop power pedestals is a heavy duty extension cord. They do offer a kit that includes a GFCI, breakers, and outlets for installation in a trucks that are not prewired, but it's not a requirement to use their system. Marinco power cord connectors are standard on many boats, TT's and 5'vers, as well as some newer shorepower equipped truck cabs/sleepers.

I appears that adapters are readily available, also. This is a 30A adapter, and I'm sure 50A ones are available also: Locking 30A adapter

16. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

No adapters needed, Joel. The Marinco equipped rigs have standard 20, 30, or 50 amp plugs on the other end of the cord that fit standard residential or RV outlets.

17. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(Dutch_12078 @ Dec 17 2013, 02:00 PM) [snapback]35428[/snapback]

No adapters needed, Joel. The Marinco equipped rigs have standard 20, 30, or 50 amp plugs on the other end of the cord that fit standard residential or RV outlets.

I was thinking about a rig like mine that doesn't have a Marinco fitting; if the pedestal had a Marino twist-lock fitting I would need an adapter for my regular RV cord wouldn't I?

18. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(docj @ Dec 17 2013, 05:43 PM) [snapback]35429[/snapback]

I was thinking about a rig like mine that doesn't have a Marinco fitting; if the pedestal had a Marino twist-lock fitting I would need an adapter for my regular RV cord wouldn't I?

The pedestal doesn't have the Marinco fitting, the truck/TT/5'ver/boat end has it. The pedestal end of the cord has the appropriate standard plug for the service current needed.

19. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Dec 16 2013, 10:49 PM) [snapback]35425[/snapback]

Hi Dave,

Did the ones you saw have the shorepowerconnect label on them? Or were they from someone else? I did find a page that says the company offers a level 1 charging connection on their pedestals--but it doesn't specify the plug type, other than to say it is 20 amps @ 120 volts.

They looked just like the pedestals I cited earlier: Truck Stop Hookups

The pedestals from Shorepower apparently come in a variety of configurations. Page two of This PDF file says that the Shorepower Technologies Truck Stop Electrification (TSE) pedestals are

Available in 2-user and 4-user configurations
    • Each user gets one or two standard 120 volt, 20
    amp outlets (NEMA 5-20R)
    • Two users get a 30 or 50 amp 208-240 volt outlet
    (NEMA 14-30R or 14-50R) - Not NEC compliant
    for EV charging

A standard RV 50 amp plug is a NEMA 14-50R.

20. Saddlesore

Saddlesore
    Expand Collapse

I have used the pedestals with an 18 wheeler, they have 20,30, and 50vac connections,, no issues and it is "clean" power.