Review likes

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Fun finders, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

As long as we are talking about "Likes", I've wanted to know about the other side of the coin since this "Like" feature was added late last year or early this year. Back then, I asked why marking "NO" to the question was NOT also tabulated. I never got an answer to that question.

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

The "system" giveth and the system taketh away! :D

drfife likes this.
  3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

The purpose of tabulating "likes" for reviews has been primarily to indicate to readers which reviewers are "trusted" reviewers (as measured by other readers). As you are aware the system does not, at present, identify which reviews have received likes. Therefore, there would be no purpose to tabulating negative votes since they would simply be aggregated and no one would know which review was being flagged.

The way things are at present you can decide whether or not to trust someone's reviews because of the number of likes he has received. I'm not sure there would be much benefit to saying "such and such a reviewer had 100 likes and 5 dislikes."

#23 docj, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Why not remove the "review helpful no" first of which who has the right to say what is helpful or not? A young camping family in a popup or tent will most likely see a campground/rv park differently vs someone who is retired, going full time and traveling in a class A.

also, why tabulate something negative that will most likely get negative responses from the members of this web site who have taken their time to submit reviews?

Doesn't this site have policies concerning minimum requirements for reviews? as long as those requirements are met. every review has the possibility of being helpful to someone.

Just saying... :)

Mike

BankShot likes this.
  5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Mike:

I agree with you and IMO there should be just a single button that reads "Did you find this review especially helpful?"

I have put that suggestion forward to the programming team.

Joel (AKA docj)

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I agree with this idea.

7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Been gone over a week and just got back yesterday. Just curious if anything has been done to reinstate the "helpfuls" most of us had that have been lowered substantially from what they were? I like to feel that my reviews are helpful to others contemplating a stay at a park or campground we've stayed at. I just checked my stats it still shows that I only have one helpful review out of 44 submitted when at last count I believe I had 17. Is there any chance that at some point the "system" will be able to get everything back to where it was before the "big cut".......... :(

By the way I think what mdcamping said makes a lot of sense. A review is either helpful and can marked as such, or not helpful with no meaningful need to mark it so IMHO.............

BankShot............(aka Terry)

8. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We took a long look at this issue and it appears that the helpful reviews count was incorrectly inflated by a malfunctioning software counter. These have been retallied and while numbers now appear to be much lower, they accurately reflect the database. The counts will slowly rise again as folks find your reviews helpful.

9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Well as my father use to say, whats going to be is going to be.

Janet thank you for looking into this!

Mike

10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

You mean to say that out of the 44 reviews I've sent in, the 3 that now have magically reappeared (up from just 1 but not even close to 17) are it? Somehow I am not believing that but hey, if that's how the system works then I guess that's what will be. Seems a tad strange to me however. Just sayin"...... :rolleyes:

Many of us took a hit but again, it really ain't no big deal in the scheme of things. Forward ho the wagons............... Oops, meant to type RVs....... :D

BankShot...........(aka Terry)

11. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We took another pass at this, rebuilding some counters and making adjustments. It's looking a little better...

12. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Much "mo betta". Thanks Janet for chasing down all them helpful reviews for us. You folks put a lot of time and effort into stuff like this that happens and I know most of us really appreciate it........ :D

All the best, BankShot............(aka Terry)

13. drfife

drfife
    Expand Collapse

Mine jumped back up, too.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

14. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Same here!

Thanks!

Mike

15. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

THE BUG IS BACK! It seems that I lost my helpful review count

16. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

The last I remember, I think I had 77 likes. Now I have 57.

17. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Yep, mine too have dropped off to 16 and I had a lot more than that at last count. Oh well, who's counting as long as other members get some good info that helps them make their decisions on where to stay or not to stay. It's only a number in the bigger scheme of things. But hey, if the real numbers can be found it is nice to know your reviews are being read as well as useful.............. :D

Regards, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

18. Edd505

Edd505
    Expand Collapse

Still can't check the likes and it shows 0 now

19. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Are you possibly confusing reviews for parks which have received a "helpful" vote and posts in the forum which received a "like" vote? Your profile shows that you have received 2 "helpful" votes for your reviews; however, I cannot find where any of your posts have received a "like" vote, so listing a 0 for "likes" would be correct.