Artificial grass or "turf" in camp sites

Discussion in 'Park Management' started by Mike_415, Feb 22, 2024.

1. Mike_415

Mike_415
    Expand Collapse

Hello, new to forum. I posted this in the irv2 forum, but I thought I would try here too... Renovating an older campground and now we have to decide on what to do for grass at the sites.

I would like to find out from campground owners and RVers some thoughts on artificial grass "turf". Turf will be more expensive to start but all sites would have a nice green "grassy" area from day one, and no mowing. Just wondering what anyone's experience of turf has been. Any thoughts or experiences welcome. Thanks

2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

If it is cared for looks fantastic, but once neglected looks terrible. I have some and love it, but I vacuum and rake it often and once a year add the fill they require to make the blades stand up. But saving the labor costs of cutting, caring for and the lawn care equipment might be a overall savings for a rv park. Problem would be with the dogs that are going to use it as a bathroom,and could start to smell.

3. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

As an RVr, I'd think it'd be nasty. Ewwww.:eek: At least with real turf, bird poop, critter poop, dog poop (from those irresponsible owners who don't pick up after their dog). dead things left on it, food/drinks left on it wash down with rain, decompose & feed the soil. With fake turf, all that stuff would just sit there & smell. I'd rather see landscape fabric topped by gravel than fake turf.

Are you going to have someone clean the turf after every guest? What's your plan there?

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Mike_415

Mike_415
    Expand Collapse

No plan... I don't know enough to make one. Never considered smells and such... still getting info so I know what direction to head. Thanks

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

i think its a good idea. they advertise (but i dont know for sure), that the newer artificial turfs are more advaced than older stuff. they say they are ok for pets and have easy clean up. I would look into it for the areas around the campsites, then create a fenced dog walk with real grass. this should reduce any odor issues you might get.

i think its a "sustainable" idea.

6. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

That would be a huge investment if it didn’t work. Be aware people will drive stakes to anchor awnings, dog tie outs satellite dishes and who knows what else. They will drop food lit cigarettes along with the aforementioned pet waste. At some point a sewer hose will split, dumping gallons of waste. They will drive on it, perform mechanical repairs and otherwise do things you could never imagined. And no rule, policy or hope for common sense and decency will stop it. When dealing with the general public behavior will devolve to the lowest common denominator and that is a very low bar.

Rollin Ollens, Paythebill and weighit like this.