annoying issue with location

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by wiredgeorge, Mar 26, 2024.

1. wiredgeorge

wiredgeorge
    Expand Collapse

Have camped at Old River Road RV Resort, Kerrville Texas many times. I am there right now with my "location" allowed. When I attempt to add a WiFi speed test I get this message:
    "We cannot detect any nearby campgrounds. Would you still like to run a speed test?"

I am in slot 91 of this campground and the GPS function can't find it? What the heck is the point of trying to add information to the campground reviews?

2. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Wiredgeorge,
    The problem has been forwarded to the "Help Desk" Thank you for reporting the issue.

3. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

The reason you may be having trouble is complicated but here goes... We draw an invisible circle around parks for location purposes. Your device is located not via GPS but by the location of the connection you are using. That might be your cell connection or the park wifi. If the cell tower or the wifi router location is pinpointed to be outside the park (circle) this issue can occur. As an example - sometimes park wifi is supplied by a cable company and their switching station (their router) might be outside the circle.

On mobile, sometimes your provider locks in your last login location, and sometimes restarting your phone will move this location. You might give this a try :)

4. wiredgeorge

wiredgeorge
    Expand Collapse

Janet, I attempted to log the Old River Road RV Resort WiFI speed while parked directly next to one of the many transmit antennas. I was NOT trying to do anything with my cell phone but was using my Windows 11 laptop. I have no idea how the campground's WiFi is generated. Shouldn't matter. If logged into rvlife.com campground reviews and attempt a WiFI speed test, circles around a campground in the software shouldn't block the ability to record very useful information.

5. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

On your laptop, do you have location info allowed? This is usually a setting in your browser or possibly in your security software,

6. wiredgeorge

wiredgeorge
    Expand Collapse

Your website software prompts to allow location. I did indeed select to allow to be located. I had turned off my VPN as well. I didn't attempt to write a new review as I had already reviewed this campground a couple times in the past and not much had changed, if anything. Last time I didn't add WiFi speed as I believe that function had not been actuated at the time.

7. Joseph_117

Joseph_117
    Expand Collapse

I've had this problem several times in diff parks when at my campsite depending on the size/location. The check in/location only works near the front gate or closer to the front gate, then it shows me a the park. It sometimes happens on parks with a lot around them or huge ones. (Happened in D.C.) Try near where the campground location is on the RV life map(gate or office) and see if there is a diff? Maybe not the issue but worth a shot.