1000 Island Area

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by CAMPIN KEN, Feb 2, 2009.

1. CAMPIN KEN

CAMPIN KEN
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip up to the 1000 Island area in NY later this year. We camped in this area about 10 years ago. I think I remember a nice State CG when we were there right on the St. Lawrence Seaway. I believe it was called Wellesley Island State Park.

Has anyone camped there? Can you give me your thoughts on the CG?

Thanks very much.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

3. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

ken. go there you will love it. we have been there at least 5 times. f loop is the only loop that has full hook ups. try to get in section 2. site numbers 39 thru 42. most of the sites ar big in this area. the even numbers are on the outside. just a short walk over the hill is the marina. some of the other sites over look the river, but have water and electric or no hook ups.
    we took our pontoon boat with us and went sightseeing in and around all the islands. we went everywhere by boat, clayton, alexandria bay and cape vinent. we even went to dinner on it.the water is so clear you can see the bottom in over 20' of water. fishing is great. it's the small mouth capital.
    the last time we where there the state was cutting back on the help. the campground need some tender loving care. it was still one of the best places we have been to.
    we made our reservations through www.reserveamerica.com. they ware a site map for you to pick your dates and site.
    i took some nice pictures. if you would like i could email you some.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dog bone @ Feb 3 2009, 01:33 PM) [snapback]15036[/snapback]

i took some nice pictures. if you would like i could email you some.

Dogbone,
    I would like to see those pictures. I have 3 different possible vacations mapped out for this summer. This park is on one of them (that's how I knew the reviews were good - I had already looked at them.)

5. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

cheryl, i sent you an email about the pictures. i used this web site to make reservations,http://www.reserveamerica.com/. they let you pick your site and the days your going to be there. the campground does not do any kind any special activities. you have to do your own.i think you will enjoy yourselves.
    i don't know when you a planing to go. there is no pool and if you like to swim it will be at the beach they have. the water stays pretty cold til august. i have been there around the 4th of july the kids where the only ones in the water. we liked the week before labor day.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

I sent you a pm with my email address. If I choose that trip, we would be arriving at that park Aug. 10th or 11th and staying 6/7 days. We don't really get into campground activities. We like to "site-see" and then just spend the evenings at our campsite. Occasionally, we will go to the pool, but that is not a deal breaker.
    Thanks in advance for the pics.

7. CAMPIN KEN

CAMPIN KEN
    Expand Collapse

Dog bone wrote:

Not sure how to use quote feature. :(

"ken. go there you will love it. we have been there at least 5 times. f loop is the only loop that has full hook ups. try to get in section 2. site numbers 39 thru 42. most of the sites ar big in this area. the even numbers are on the outside. just a short walk over the hill is the marina. some of the other sites over look the river, but have water and electric or no hook ups."

Dog bone, I'd love to see your pictures. I'll try to send you a pm. We would probably like to be in a site that we can sit and see the river. Can you give me an idea of which sites or loop would be good to see the ships go by? Am I correct in my thinking? This was a big thrill for us during our last trip.

I thought that one of the State CG's actually had a liqour store right at the CG. Could Wellesley be that CG?

Ken

8. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

ken, you will see a few sites, on the pictures i sent, that are on the water. they don't have full hook ups. there are a few places in the campground you can go and see the boats. down by the marina there is a point that extend out. you can walk out on the rocks and see them going by. the marina also has boats to rent. the lake freighters and the bigger ships stay in the american channel. which is on the southern side of wellesley is. the canadian channel is to the north. the depth of these channels is about 160'. you will not be able to see the ships from the park. if you take a ride to alexandria bay there is a park by the hospital you can sit and watch the ships go by. that is where the boat tours come out of . they take you in and out of the islands and to boldt castle. clayton has an antique boat museum. they also have boat tours there also. they have an old speed boat there that will take you for ride on the river.
    there is or was a campstore at the park. i know it didn't sell liqueur. it might have sold beer. before you get in to the campground there is a gas station and convienance store that sells beer. the hard stuff you will have to bring over from the main land. try to remember everything because everytime you cross the bridge there is a toll. $1.50 as i remember.
    on the way to canada, there is a duty free store on the canadian side. you can by booze, beer and gifts there. you must declare it when coming back through customs. you will need a least a birth certificate or passport to cross. just pull over and pay the tax when you go through the gate.

9. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Note to one and all....

Do not stay at Seaway Island Resort on Wellesley Island the place is a dump. The Cg you are talking about, the State Park is much better. The fee for the bridge was $2.00 a couple of years ago, but note you only pay one way, into Canada. If you want to visit Boldt Castle, go to the Boldt Castle Boat House, on Wellesley Island, and they ferry you across to the castle...less crowded. Hope you enjoy your stay...

10. CAMPIN KEN

CAMPIN KEN
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone for the great info.

Dog Bone, thanks for sending the great pics! Really appreciate your help.

Ken

11. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

no problem ken. glad to have helped. the wife and i are thinking about going back up. it's been about 4 years since we've been there. this year we're headed to ocean city, md for fourth of july. it would be next year we would be going there. probably the last two weeks in august.
    butch. i know what you mean about that place. we drove around in it. it's a coast to coast resort, i use the term loosely and i am a member, but would not stay there.

12. Katrinamp

Katrinamp
    Expand Collapse

Hello!
    We are thinking of booking a site for June at the Wellesley Island State Park but are unfamiliar with the sites. I can't find any pictures anywhere to tell which ones are in the wide open and which are more secluded by trees. Does anyone have ones they can share? Thank you so much!
    Katrina

13. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Katrinamp @ Jan 26 2010, 02:22 PM) [snapback]20760[/snapback]
    Hello!
    We are thinking of booking a site for June at the Wellesley Island State Park but are unfamiliar with the sites. I can't find any pictures anywhere to tell which ones are in the wide open and which are more secluded by trees. Does anyone have ones they can share? Thank you so much!
    Katrina

If you go to http://www.reserveamerica.com/. It will give you the layout of the campground and let you pick and reserve the site you want.
    If you need full hookups, that would be f loop. It is an open area, with about 50 sites in it. The inside of the loop backs up to a big grassy field. The outside you back up to the woods. Most of the sites are in the open.
    Most of the sites along the water are dry camping or just electric. They would have the most shade. There is another loop, I think it is e. That one has water and electric. That one is an open area also.
    There is no pool. They have a beach down by the marina. It is tucked in a cove with rock peninsulas on both sides. The water will probably be on the cold side. It is a nice little area.
    If you would like some pictures I would be glad to email them to you. We love it up there. There are a lot of interesting places to go and see. The sites themselves are some of the biggest we have ever stayed at.