Do You Use A Cb Radio In Your Rv?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by willranless, Dec 23, 2010.

1. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

Recently a friend of mine suggested that I install a CB radio in my RV Park office in order to communicate with passing RV's. I was just wondering if this would be beneficial or not. According to him, some campgrounds he recently drove near are using the CB radio to broadcast a short message to RV's in their area, announcing site availability. I would like to hear from some of you to find out if you use a CB radio in your RV and, if so, do you monitor Channel 19 most of the time when you are traveling?

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

There was a thread a while back that asked this same question. You can see those replies if you look at Mar. 28, 2010 in the General Chat forum.

3. fpullanosr

fpullanosr
    Expand Collapse

Any marketing idea that will increase business is a good idea. Keep in mind that CB radio transmissions do not travel very far. Therefore, unless your transmitter is right next to a major highway you will reach very few traveling RV'ers

Then you would need to time your transmissions to occur when most RV are passing by your transmitter.

4. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RanMan @ Dec 23 2010, 05:38 PM) [snapback]25135[/snapback]

Recently a friend of mine suggested that I install a CB radio in my RV Park office in order to communicate with passing RV's. I was just wondering if this would be beneficial or not. According to him, some campgrounds he recently drove near are using the CB radio to broadcast a short message to RV's in their area, announcing site availability. I would like to hear from some of you to find out if you use a CB radio in your RV and, if so, do you monitor Channel 19 most of the time when you are traveling?

please consider my comments here as a former CB user. I have been a licensed amateur radio operator for almost 35 years and have not been active on CB for many - MANY years.

There are some technical considerations you need to remember with CB.
    1) it is unlicensed, and while there are official rules and regualtion, they are ignored. This means that language on CB is quite "colorful", so it may be unwise to have the receiver on in the general public may be able to hear.

2) What you propose could be considered "broadcasting", and is against the FCC Rules & Regulations. But, hey, it is CB and no one pays attention to the FCC anymore.

3) it is AM, noise is the norm.

4) it is very local communications. While hams can easily communicate literaly around the world on less than 5 watts RF, since CB is AM, with all the noise, reliable communications is maybe 1 to 3 miles.

A better option would be FRS. Family Radio Service. Also unlicensed, but it is FM and on UHF. This allows you to use a scanning receiver in the receiving area, and a handheld transceiver can be left in the charger until someone calls.

You can publish the FRS channel and CTCSS tone that you plan to use. You should read the FCC Rules before use, there are some channels that are restricted to GMRS users. GMRS is licensed and interference by unlicensed users is not tolerated very well.

5. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I do not have a CB radio and have no plans to get one. I think it is an item whose time has passed.

A good web site may be a better investment in acquiring clients.

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

NOt CB, but I have some two way radios, I once used them when a friend was traveling in a car behind me....... Don't know if those would work.

JJ

7. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Dec 23 2010, 07:08 PM) [snapback]25138[/snapback]

There was a thread a while back that asked this same question. You can see those replies if you look at Mar. 28, 2010 in the General Chat forum.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry to start another thread on same topic. I kinda thought it had been dealt with here before. When I searched for "CB Radio" the search was rejected because one of the words was less than 4 characters. I could have found it if I had deleted "CB" from the search.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(RanMan @ Dec 27 2010, 01:27 PM) [snapback]25173[/snapback]

Thanks for the replies. Sorry to start another thread on same topic. I kinda thought it had been dealt with here before. When I searched for "CB Radio" the search was rejected because one of the words was less than 4 characters. I could have found it if I had deleted "CB" from the search.

No problem on the second thread. Just thought you might like to see the first replies. This is a difficult phrase to search because of the 2 letter term--CB. I had a bit of an advantage because I remembered there had been another thread. I just had to figure out how to search for it. I did what you said and searched on just radio. Anyway I hope the replies gave you the info you wanted.

9. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

BTW, the "unofficial" RV channel is #13, and the channel for emergencies is #9.

I mostly use the CB to find traffic information when things slow down, or for another distraction when driving gets boring. It may be useful if you are out of cell phone range and need assistance. I also have a couple of hand held units and give these to the kids when they go to the playground so I can call them back for dinner.

10. dave n holly

dave n holly
    Expand Collapse

I have a Cobra I used to use in my pick up truck and was thinkin' of putting it in the Coach,
    Not sure if it would be useful tho......

11. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

No CB for probably five or more years now. I don't care for the language commonly used on it and few RVers are ever there.

12. zthatzmanz28

zthatzmanz28
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RanMan @ Dec 23 2010, 05:38 PM) [snapback]25135[/snapback]

I remember years ago when we traveled with our parents, campgrounds and truck stops used to advertise on their bill boards what channel they monitored. My wife and I will be adding a radio to our vehicle when we go on the road this summer.

13. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

I used one for a very short while years ago (8 or so, when we first started camping). I quickly learned to leave it off due to language if kids were in listening range -- which meant I almost always had it off. So now it sits in my home's basement somewhere.

Years ago I knew a lot of people who used CBs when traveling, especially if in groups. Now I don't know anyone who has one in their vehicle. With cell phones there doesn't seem to be any need or want for CBs.

14. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 14 2011, 11:06 AM) [snapback]25624[/snapback]

Years ago I knew a lot of people who used CBs when traveling, especially if in groups. Now I don't know anyone who has one in their vehicle. With cell phones there doesn't seem to be any need or want for CBs.

Growing up in the '70's/'80s my Dad used one when we were camping. I think the last time I used one was 1991, headed to Ocean City MD in a 2 car convoy - in case we got seperated. Other than the nostalgia factor, I haven't really seen much need for one.

15. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

I do still use one on the road some times for traffic info such as back ups and best way through some city's like go through the middle or around it on a by pass.

16. Sundevil

Sundevil
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wink @ Apr 11 2011, 10:07 PM) [snapback]25826[/snapback]

I do still use one on the road some times for traffic info such as back ups and best way through some city's like go through the middle or around it on a by pass.

I've got one, but normally only use it for information, and weather. Sundevil :)

17. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RanMan @ Dec 23 2010, 03:38 PM) [snapback]25135[/snapback]

I have a CB radio in my truck and I use it mostly to ask other people what kind of problem is happening on a given road or, if you need an immediate assistance. B)
    I agree that the CP range is about few miles only and would not be indicated for long distance communications.