help with a new vacation area

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by dog bone, Jan 18, 2006.

1. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

my wife and i are looking to branch out from our regular vacation sites. we enjoy being on the water, because we bring the boat and like to fish. we want to keep the traveling time down to about 5 to 6 hours. she tows the boat and i tow the trailer.

we have been to ocean city, md numerous times and have reservations there for the next 3 years. 1000 is, ny is another spot we like. been there a few times. we were thinking of maine, but can't find a campground on the ocean or bay with a marina. some place with a lake would work also.

we're getting into a rut. we live in the north west part of nj. right on the ny state line.

i figured i would throw this out there and see what happens.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

I have been to Bar Harbor and it is beautiful. The campground we stayed at doesn't have boating facilities. But here is a campground that might interest you:
    http://www.koa.com/where/me/19133/activities/attractions.htm
    I haven't stayed there myself, but it has good reviews on here.
    We were there July 2003. The water was very cold. Acadia National Park is absolutely stunning.

3. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

I would recommend you consider the Moorings RV Park in Belfast, Maine. This is truly an oceanfront campground and you can read about it in the reviews in this site. While I don't believe the Moorings has docking facilities, just down the road in the town of Belfast there is an excellent harbor where I believe you could tie up your boat.

4. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Have been spending our vacations in Maine for fifteen years, but we do not have a boat. Most campgrounds, in Maine on the ocean, do not have facilities on site for boaters that I'm aware of. On Mt. Dessert Island, (where Acadia National Park is), there are a few public boat launches, but are a few miles from campgrounds. The fresh water lakes are a different story. May want to inquire for info on Sebago Lake, has a least three campgrounds, but may or may not fit your requirements for your boat. As others have posted, Maine is beautiful, especially Acadia Nat'l Park. The park and or Sebago Lake is going to be more than a five to six hour drive for you though. Sorry I can be of more help.

5. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

dog bone;

Just a small addition to my previous post, if you do chose to go to Maine and visit Mt Dessert Island, (Acadia Nat'l Park), three campgrounds that you may want to avoid are: Patten Pond, (which is off island), Narrows Two, and Mt. Desert Narrows. The three are owned by the same people, and are not camper friendly. Horror stories abound about their attitudes, treatment and lack of abilities to deal with the Rving public. Very poor customer relations to say the least. Please beware.

6. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

thanks for the info you gave me. maine sounds real nice. i think if we go there the first time we'll leave the boat home. i don't like the idea of deb driving that far towing a 20ft boat. she makes me pull over on the way to maryland. i can't say as i blame her, following a big white whale[trailer, not me] down the road for hours can put you to sleep.
    thanks again for the ideas.