Highway 2 In Montana

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Luvtheroad, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

Need some advice. We'll be heading east out of Oregon in late August, early September and want to stop at Glacier NP. Our choices are to go north off 90 at Coeur d'Alene and take 2 over to Kalispell or 90 to Missoula and go north to Kalispell. I like to take smaller roads but BF (who does all the driving/towing - 39' fifth wheel - so has the final word on the route) likes highway as much as possible. If you've driven 2 west of Kalispell, was it a good road?

2. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Feb 2 2011, 01:08 AM) [snapback]25380[/snapback]

Need some advice. We'll be heading east out of Oregon in late August, early September and want to stop at Glacier NP. Our choices are to go north off 90 at Coeur d'Alene and take 2 over to Kalispell or 90 to Missoula and go north to Kalispell. I like to take smaller roads but BF (who does all the driving/towing - 39' fifth wheel - so has the final word on the route) likes highway as much as possible. If you've driven 2 west of Kalispell, was it a good road?

When we went to Glacier we went to Missoula and took 93 up to Polson and then on up from there pulling a 38' 5er. No problem.

3. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

I have driven all 3 routes (I90 and US93, US2, and US2, ID200/MT200, US93) you can take between Coeur d' Alene and Kalispell in the last few years. The OP is asking if US2 is a "good road". Not knowing what you mean by "good", I will say it is no problem driving it with a large RV on US2. If your concern is with traffic/speed/time, etc., it is not a good road compared to I90. It is mostly 2 lane and you will be going through small cities and towns every 10, 20, 30 miles via the US2 route (or the ID200/MT200 route). This

4. hahnderosa

hahnderosa
    Expand Collapse

We drove that part of Highway 2 a couple of years ago. In one area the road was being reworked and we had to drive on mud for about a half mile - not fun - but surely that project is finished now. Campgrounds are usually wedged between the road and the railroad track... in one place our RV actually shook every time a trained passed - all day and night. But, overall it was a nice trip and I would drive that route again. We have a 38' Class A and pull a Wrangler. Enjoy Glacier - it is one of my favorite parks!