Home Sweet Home

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Luvtheroad, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

Five months, 25 states, 13,151 miles and we're back home at last. Bittersweet: Glad to be home, but missing the road already. Oh, well, only 7 more months til we take off again..... It feels weird to be able to take more than 5 steps in any direction and not run into something.

2. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Oct 2 2011, 07:54 PM) [snapback]27794[/snapback]

Five months, 25 states, 13,151 miles and we're back home at last. Bittersweet: Glad to be home, but missing the road already. Oh, well, only 7 more months til we take off again..... It feels weird to be able to take more than 5 steps in any direction and not run into something.

I feel your pain. We just returned after 6 months on the road. I am always glad to be in warm weather but really prefer the motorhome over the stick and brick. Glad you had a good trip.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Same here. We like home in FL but love to travel. On the road now in the woods (FL State Park) and moved north. Will be back home in Nov. and planning the next trip out. Motorhome has over 103,000 miles on it now. :D

4. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

I guess our 11 years of fulltime has spoiled us as that kind of travel just sounds tiring to me! We got a home base again last January and in May we headed out for our summer travels. We arrived home five months later, traveling through 13 states, traveling 5,500 miles in the motorhome and another 6K with the towd. We had a great time, spent three weeks in Washington state, two months in Oregon and almost a month traveling through California. We find that the best part of RV travel is the ability to sit still, anywhere we happen to enjoy!

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Oct 3 2011, 08:41 AM) [snapback]27797[/snapback]

Same here. We like home in FL but love to travel. On the road now in the woods (FL State Park) and moved north. Will be back home in Nov. and planning the next trip out. Motorhome has over 103,000 miles on it now. :D

Isn't is sort of sad when you see Motorhomes(and other RV's) for sale and you know they haven't been used to ther full potential. I scan the for sale ads frequently and see units all the time that are 10, 20, and even 30 years old, that have less than 50K miles on them.

6. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ Oct 24 2011, 01:36 PM) [snapback]27999[/snapback]

Isn't is sort of sad when you see Motorhomes(and other RV's) for sale and you know they haven't been used to ther full potential. I scan the for sale ads frequently and see units all the time that are 10, 20, and even 30 years old, that have less than 50K miles on them.

I don't think so. Ours was purchased new in May, 2007 and we have spent over 1200 nights in it since then in a lot of different areas. We have just about 15,000 miles on the odometer. Low mileage does not necessarily mean not used to potential. We, through the years, have been overnight in 48 states and every continent except antarctica. For us it is the destination, not the journey that is desirable. Your mileage may vary.

7. sheltie

sheltie
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(joez @ Oct 24 2011, 02:58 PM) [snapback]28000[/snapback]

I don't think so. Ours was purchased new in May, 2007 and we have spent over 1200 nights in it since then in a lot of different areas. We have just about 15,000 miles on the odometer. Low mileage does not necessarily mean not used to potential. We, through the years, have been overnight in 48 states and every continent except antarctica. For us it is the destination, not the journey that is desirable. Your mileage may vary.

I agree. We generally go from point A to point B and then stay there for 1-4 months. If there is something along the way that piques our interest, we will stay over night to see it. Otherwise I just want to get where I'm going. Our MH is eight years old, has 32K miles and we average in excess of four months a year in it. To us we simply transfer our home from the S&B to the MH and back again. We get the best of both worlds for us that way.

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I'm in GA at a friend's house before I go to a camp hosting job. I like being on the road. However, I don't like the EXPENSE of getting from one end of the country to the other. I should have planned better and got camp hosting jobs on the way to "stay awhile."

JJ

9. Salt & Pepper Adventures

Salt & Pepper Adventures
    Expand Collapse

Wow, that's a lot of travel! We hope to surpass you sometime in 2012 -- we left Southern CA (home) for a N.A. then European tour - we hope to be gone two years. Would love to hear what you most need when you are out for so long (other than a larger bed!-- our #1 issue!) and your favorite camping spots -- our General Plan route is on our blog:

www.sltandppr.blogspot.com

10. imagardener

imagardener
    Expand Collapse

Salt&Pepper

How will you get your MH to Europe? I bought the book written about shipping it by boat but it was written a few years ago and seems fraught with problems. I'd love to drive our Roadtrek through France and Spain.