Lake Whales/river Ranch Florida

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by campergal, Nov 2, 2012.

1. campergal

campergal
    Expand Collapse

Hi there - we spent our first winter in Florida last year and loved it (could the weather have got any better????). We moved around and stayed in a total of 13 different parks. This year we are planning to head there again and want to stay in no more then 3 parks. I am wondering if anyone could tell me about the Lake Whales and River Ranch area in Central Florida. Are they fairly populated? We stayed in Moore Haven last year for a bit and loved the park but found it was quite a ways away from everything. We would prefer to be somewhat closer to a populated area but not quite as busy as ... say ... Clearwater area.

Any assistance would be appreciated :)

Trish

2. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

Trish

Lake Whales is not bad.But a place we like is Sebring a little south of there.We stay in state parks so can`t tell you much about the privet parks there.But love the town and has a lot of things going on through the year.It is big enough to have all the stores you need but traffic is not bad and easy to get around once you have been there a while.We are not snow birds but just like the area.We live just south of Daytona so it is a change from that. :)

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We have spend a little time at River Ranch. A place that has everything in one place. You have sites down by the fishing docks, in the trees, and out in full sun. This park is not close to a town or city but not to far away from Lake Wales for supplies. You can take a boat from this park to the Gulf or Atlantic Ocean. You can fly in if you have a small plane. Park sets on a ranch so rodeo and cowboys on Saturday night, restaurants and bar open on weekends, and lots more items in the park. May be booked out by now. We do not care for Moore Haven as well. Lake Wales has other RV parks but we have not been to any near the city.

4. campergal

campergal
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the feedback - it sounds like River Ranch will have all that we are looking for - is Lake Wales a large town or village? ... will it be quite easy to get groceries etc? I know in Moore Haven they had people come in with produce, fish etc on a weekly basis which isn't bad but I do need my Walmart fix now and again!!! I have been in contact with them, at this point they still do availability in what they call their "standard sites" which I am thinking is in open sun in the older phase of the park which is fine with us.

Trish

5. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi campergal,

Lake Wales, population about 12 000, has a WalMart Super Centre on highway 60, just at the entrance of the town if you are coming in from River Ranch. The distance to River Ranch is about 25 miles.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Trish,

Yes you do have a Walmart at 2000 State Road 60 & Hesperides Road. As you come out of the park and drive west on Hwy 60 you will past Walmart. You also have Publix supermarket and prices are better plus each week you will see two for one sales. Lots of small shops to buy items you may need. Population is around 13,000. A nice town to visit.

7. campergal

campergal
    Expand Collapse

I guess we are decided, we are going to start our winter vacation in River Ranch! So excited to start planning! We are purchasing a brand new 5th wheel toy hauler so plan to have lots of fun with it! Thanks so much for the input.

Will try to be quicker with my reviews this year! Just found all of mine from last year and sent them in but they were rejected :( Too old as we travelled in Feb/March 2012. Too bad as I had reviewed two brand new campgrounds that had no reviews. Oh well.

Thanks again.
    Trish

Wanted to add, I totally understand the reason for the rule re: dates for reviews and it's a shame park owners do what they do. I personallly own a park (just read the latest review on my park 3/10 .. the poster said roads were small etc etc etc which is fine, his point of view but he also claimed "fireworks were being shot off"...the ONLY time we allow fireworks in our park is on Canada Day ... he was here in July...and we do them ourselves with the help of the local firemen...wonder if he was here for that celebration!!! lol) So, yeah, I can see where I would love to be able to respond to that review :)

8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

If you are going to be doing internet searches on Lake Wales, remember it does not contain the letter H. You will get better results.

9. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Lindsay, you are right about the "h" of course. Just a little true story. Several years ago Prince Charles, the present Prince of Wales, came to Canada. While doing the usual opening of hospitals, visiting veterans and other "princely" jobs he was presented with a commemorative silver plate with the date and his name engraved. In all the quality checks of this present nobody had seen the spelling error, the "h" that's not supposed to be there! :D Apparently he took it in stride with a nice smile. and a corrected version of the plate was later sent to him.

10. campergal

campergal
    Expand Collapse

:rolleyes: explains why I was having a hard time finding the campgrounds and other information on google and allstays! Thanks :)

11. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Trish,

This address will take you to the road into the park. Use it as you can zoom past the road before you know what happen. Hwy 60 speed limit is 60 MPH at this point. Large sign at River Ranch but people miss it. Ranch is a couple miles off Hwy 60.

GPS: 27.80081 -81.21849

12. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I worked in Lake Wales for 5 years back in the 1980's. Same the Challenger blow up from there. Never forget it.