Mt Trip

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by snorebel, May 3, 2009.

1. snorebel

snorebel
    Expand Collapse

planning trip to glacier Aug 7 7/d Lake five resort any feed back good/ bad or other rv sites any help/ info on our way out glacier/yellowstone/sd first long trip from Boston thank you snoreb

2. westernrvparkowner

westernrvparkowner
    Expand Collapse

Interstate 90 from Thru South Dakota has a number of interesting stops. I recommend checking out the Corn Palace in Mitchell, the car museum in Mudro, Wall Drug of course, don't forget Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse in Rapid City/Black Hills. Continue on to Little Big Horn Battlefield if you find that interesting. There are several routes to Glacier, I enjoy the Swan River Valley through Seeley lake on in to Kalispel. The route through Polson is also very scenic. You can also take US 89 to Great Falls on in to Glacier. Very scenic. You mentioned you will be visiting Yellowstone also. Yellowstone is best toured from the West (West Yellowstone) and North entrances (Gardiner) or Fishing Bridge. (assuming you want hookups). Don't set up in the south to tour Yellowstone, it is too far from most major attractions. Same thing with Cody and the East Entrance. Your other post indicated you were a little dicey with the new fifth wheel, so you may wish to avoid Fishing Bridge, it is very tight. If you are arriving after August 16th, be aware of a major road closure. The Yellowstone loop between Madison and Norris is going to close for the rest of the season. This will make touring from West Yellowstone more difficult. I suggest staying in Gardiner or Fishing Bridge for easier access. Don't forget the Beartooth Highway as a day trip (no Motorhomes or trailers however). Cody, Wyoming has the Buffalo Bill Historical center, a great museum. Actually 5 museums in one, worlds largest collection of Western Firearms, need a full day to visit. Cody also has a nightly rodeo, If you do not hit one of the major rodeos during your trip. Be aware of the Sturgis Motorcycle rally in the first weekend of August. Avoid Sturgis/Black Hills during this time, unless this is of interest to you. (do the research on what I mean, Great Party but it goes on 24/7 and anything goes ). At Glacier, take some hikes, they are great. Be sure to take a tour onto a Glacier, they are not going to be around much longer, unfortunately. The best way to travel Going to the Sun road is to take the tour bus. No fun driving the road in a personal car. The lodge at Marys Lake is a national treasure, take time to tour it. The boat tour of Mary's lake is also great. Since there are several routes to and from Glacier, I suggest you take one route there and another out. If you travel I-90 to Butte, Butte is an interesting town, they chamber of commerce has a tour bus, and the mining history is interesting. Deer Lodge has the Territorial prison museum with a very large classic car collection. Why I do not know, but it is an impressive collection. The best thing to remember on this entire trip is to not put too much time into worrying about your RV site. You will not be staying in it for long. The vast majority of parks around the big western national parks are geared towards providing safe and secure parking with hookups, they are not like many of the eastern parks that have many activities. Finally, reservations are highly recommended in destination parks throughout the west due to the size of your Rig.. There is a shortage of RV sites at both Glacier and Yellowstone that can handle the larger Rigs.