Rodanthe, Nc

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Northernmom, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Northernmom

Northernmom
    Expand Collapse

We are planning a trip to the OB in mid August. I have found 3 CG in around Rodanthe, NC. Do you recommend any of them: Camp Hatteras, KOA or Ocean Waves all in a row along the coast. We will be camping in a tent trailer with 3 kids. If anyone has been there and would like to give some advice that would be great.

Thanks

2. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at Cape Hatteras, which is quite nice but very $$$$. The three parks you mention are very close....almost side-by-side. Hatteras has all pull-thrus, fairly spacious, cement pads, surrounded by sand. There are 2 pools...one indoor and the other out. The ocean front sites face a large dune, so you have easy access to the beach, but no water view. There is a new section to the park where sites have views across Pamlico (sp?) sound, making for great sunset views. If we go back, we'd stay in this section.

The KOA is just a parking lot. Waves is a little greener than Hatteras, but the sites are all back-in and close together. Waves is cheaper. The beach for all three is the same and terrific.

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

If your looking for a full service resort campground then try Camp Hatteras, we have two older teenage boys and this is one of the reasons why we chose the campground. Last July we stayed on the cement pads on the Ocean side and loved it. Had a breeze about 85% of the time. (If you have a awning take it in in the evening because of summer T-storms) Camp lounge & game room has lots of stuff for kids/teenagers. Very clean well run campground, very pet friendly and all the campers I noticed were very respectful of each other. The only down side is its on the expensive side.

I've never been to the KOA or Ocean Waves but have read great things about them...
    Probably can't go wrong with any of them.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

4. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

p.s. I just reread your post. If you have young children, you might not want the Pamlico Sound view sites because they are across the highway from the main park and the ocean. There is not a huge amount of traffic on the highway, but it is the major route down the Outer Banks.

5. Northernmom

Northernmom
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the advice, yes we do have younger children, ages 10,8,5. We will be driving 28 hrs to get here and our children have never seen the ocean. I have a feeling all they will want to do is have fun on the beach. Camp Hatteras was our first option ($78-85/night) or the KOA ($100/night). The KOA looks like a parking lot, but granted we are just sleeping there.

Here's hoping for a great vacation in August!!

B)

6. lynnz

lynnz
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Northernmom @ Feb 22 2010, 10:30 PM) [snapback]21035[/snapback]

Thank you for the advice, yes we do have younger children, ages 10,8,5. We will be driving 28 hrs to get here and our children have never seen the ocean. I have a feeling all they will want to do is have fun on the beach. Camp Hatteras was our first option ($78-85/night) or the KOA ($100/night). The KOA looks like a parking lot, but granted we are just sleeping there.

Here's hoping for a great vacation in August!!

B)

We stayed at the KOA last summer and are in fact going again this summer. With the KOA value card it's not $100 a night. Lots of kids and activities for them with the pool etc. It wasn't so bad. read all the reviews.