Rv,ing 4 Corners, Co,ut,az,nm

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by witherig, Oct 21, 2011.

1. witherig

witherig
    Expand Collapse

ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON CAMPING CLOSE TO THE WESTER BORDER OF COLORADO SO YOU CAN EASLY GET TO UTAH, ARIZONA,MEW MEXICO?
    THANKS

2. imagardener

imagardener
    Expand Collapse

That is a tough one (as perhaps you've been finding out). We spent 3 weeks in the area in 2010 and campgrounds, good or bad, are few and far between. I think we ended up staying in Farmington NM on our way to Arches Nat'l Park in Utah (lots of good cg's). But we alternated between 2 star motels and campgrounds because of not finding campgrounds in NW New Mexico.

I'll have to look for records to see where we stayed and report back. I see Navaho Lake SP is near there, just can't remember if we camped there.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(witherig @ Oct 21 2011, 12:55 PM) [snapback]27967[/snapback]

ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON CAMPING CLOSE TO THE WESTER BORDER OF COLORADO SO YOU CAN EASLY GET TO UTAH, ARIZONA,MEW MEXICO?
    THANKS

Check the listings for Cortez, Mancos, and Dolores. They are all in southwest Colorado with Cortez being the closest to the Four Corners. (You will have about a 30-40 mi drive to get to the NM, UT, or AZ borders and it is about 10 mi to Mesa Verde NP.)

You did not mention what type of park you wanted--full hook ups, boondocking, manicured, rustic, pool, cable, wi-fi?--but there are all types of parks in this area. We stayed at Sundance in Cortez. It is right in the middle of the city so stores and other services are very convenient. We were very comfortable there. I agree with the reviews except the one rated 1. Sounds like that person was mad because of the street noise (we didn't hear any) and then slammed the whole park. We also found the office personnel to be very friendly and accommodating so I don't know what his problem was. We saw the KOA, but did not stay there. It looked nice. For more rustic "camping" I think Dolores would be your best bet.

Hope this helps.

4. imagardener

imagardener
    Expand Collapse

Mesa Verde (SW Colorado) has a campground but we didn't go there (I know it's major but we were tired after 5 weeks on the road and another week's drive to get home). It's got reviews here I think.

5. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

This summer we stayed in Bluff UT, Cortez CO, and Mancos (Mesa Verde) CO. Bluff is about two hours from the four corners. A very good place to stay with several good RV parks, couple of good places to eat, and VERY scenic views in ever direction. Also a historic small town. Cortez CO also quite a nice place to stay. We had a forced overnight here when our turbo blew in the middle of town. While we waited we found out that this is a lovely area with a huge middle of downtown park, nice fixed up old section, and some very nice indian ruins. I also highly recommend Diesel Technology if you need motor work in this area. Family operation and they do first class work. With a new turbo we made it to our next destination in Mancos opposite Mesa Verde N park. We stayed at the Mesa Verde RV resort. I recommend it highly. MV N park is a treat. I had not been there since I was a kid.