Slab City

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Donna P, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Donna P

Donna P
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone been to or stayed at or even looked at Slab City in California
    What are your thoughts on this place
    Thanks B)

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

My thoughs would say this place is a very very small spot in CA. Our road atlas 2005 has no listed on this place. What would you find here? What city or town is close by? Is this a saw mill town up in north end of state? More information please!

3. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

Here is a link to the web site of Slab city.
    http://www.slabcity.org/
    Slab city is one of those places that everyone must visit once, "ONCE IS ENOUGH THOUGH" , one must have an open mind when visiting there. I will let the web site fill in all the rest of the details.

For Tioga & George's thoughts and pictures on slab city go here http://vagabonders-supreme.net/SlabCity.htm

Personally I think everyone needs to see this place at least once in there life time.

4. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

My New Year's resolution was to eat healthier and exercise more. You can tell where my mind is wondering to - when I saw the topic heading "Slab City", I thought it was about a Rib joint, and I love BBQ ribs, so had to open the thread!!!! Seems like I am always thinking about the tasty things that I can't have. Donna, sorry I am no help with info on your request, as I have never heard of it...

5. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

Okay...somebody has got to say it...it may as well be me ...

IS THIS PLACE A DUMP OR WHAT????:D

6. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl Fuller -- Yep you can get BBQ ribs at slab city, all you have to do is supply the ribs, the BBQ, the cook, (oh yeah we had BBQ Pork ribs tonite, weather has been upper 60's low 70's brrr its getting cold) OK OK I'm bad, but like I have already said, every one should visit Slab City ONCE!

BBear -- sure glad you said it !! No one ever agrees with my opinion of any place, just glad to see some one agrees with me for once.

7. Donna P

Donna P
    Expand Collapse

Ok, so some say its a dump, others show me a web site but has anyone ever stayed there?

8. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Browzin @ Jan 6 2007, 11:42 PM) [snapback]5705[/snapback]
    Cheryl Fuller -- Yep you can get BBQ ribs at slab city, all you have to do is supply the ribs, the BBQ, the cook, (oh yeah we had BBQ Pork ribs tonite, weather has been upper 60's low 70's brrr its getting cold) OK OK I'm bad, but like I have already said, every one should visit Slab City ONCE!

BBear -- sure glad you said it !! No one ever agrees with my opinion of any place, just glad to see some one agrees with me for once.

Browzin, yes you are bad - would you like to borrow some salt to rub into that open wound that was probably caused by frostbite, but might have been prevented with some nice hot ribs to warm the these old bones...

And if it is a dump, why would I want to visit it - I trust your assessment!!!

9. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

Donna P -- Yes we have stopped there. That is why I posted the web site plus the link to Tioga&Georges blog so that every one could see REAL pictures and the opinion of some one other than my self on this place.

Is it a dump? In my opinion yes.
    Is it worth seeing? In my opinion yes.
    Does it have interesting qualities? In my opinion yes.
    Should you stop and check it out for your self? In my opinion yes.
    Best time to go is late fall through late spring, summer is to hot unless you like the heat.

Now hope fully I haven't offended anyone with my opinions of Slab City and at the same time have answered your questions.

10. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl Fuller -- Ok I will rub a little salt into your frost bite wound. We are on our way to Quartzsite, then down to Yuma, and from there across the boarder south into Mexico. We only plan on being gone for 2-3-4 mos this trip, it depends on how soon things warm up.

Now to help heal that frost bite wound that I just rubbed salt into. We are originally from Alaska, (born and raised), so we know what COLD is all about, During my working days I had to be out in that cold working. We can understand and sympathize with what you are experiencing right now. Stay warm and remember spring and HOT summer weather is on its way.

11. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

OMG Browzin, I just clicked on the link you provided and checked out Slab City....I see what you mean about being something you should experience once. I really do not think I would want to stay there, and to tell you the truth, probably woudn't want to eat there or drink the water, but I would like to see it (day trip only). Where exactly in California is this place located?

12. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl Fuller
    It's about 3 miles from the town of NILAND, CA. off of hwy 111 north of Brawley, Ca. right down next to the Salton Sea.

The interesting part about the place at this time of the year is all the VERY EXPENSIVE RV's that are there. A lot of people like to winter there... There's no explaining other peoples taste. We will be stopping there tomorrow so that a couple of friends that are traveling with us can see what it is like for themselves, we will spend a couple of hours an then get on our way to Quartzsite for a few weeks before head to Yuma and Mexico

13. Travelin Rose

Travelin Rose
    Expand Collapse

We took a day trip to Slab City a couple of weeks ago and I agree with Browzin's comments.

It is a dump.
    I'm glad we went to see it once but would not go back again.
    I would not take my motorhome and spend time there.

We stopped at the library which should be a quite place. There was a couple having a very loud argument and we weren't sure what might happen, so we left. I'm not sure what kind of law enforcement they have there, maybe none.

Slab City is not on BLM Land. I think it is owned by the state of California.

Slab City is at Niland CA. It is east of the Salton Sea & about an hour south of Palm Springs.
    If you go, stop at Salvation Mountain at the entrance to Slab City. It is a folk art painted mountain. This web site has pictures of it.

http://vagabonders-supreme.net/SlabCity.htm

14. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Browzin @ Jan 7 2007, 11:44 PM) [snapback]5716[/snapback]
    Cheryl Fuller
    It's about 3 miles from the town of NILAND, CA. off of hwy 111 north of Brawley, Ca. right down next to the Salton Sea.

The interesting part about the place at this time of the year is all the VERY EXPENSIVE RV's that are there. A lot of people like to winter there... There's no explaining other peoples taste. We will be stopping there tomorrow so that a couple of friends that are traveling with us can see what it is like for themselves, we will spend a couple of hours an then get on our way to Quartzsite for a few weeks before head to Yuma and Mexico

Hey Browzin, if you get a chance, take some pics to post here. By the way, you can just call me Cheryl - I feel like I am in trouble when someone uses my whole name!!!

15. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Browzin @ Jan 7 2007, 01:42 AM) [snapback]5705[/snapback]

:D .... I did however enjoy reading the Tioga & George's journal....makes me feel sane! :blink:

16. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

17. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dbnck @ Jan 31 2007, 07:02 PM) [snapback]5951[/snapback]

A couple of years ago, we were staying at the Salton Sea and took the car over to check out Slab City. I discussed my impressions on our website: http://www.debcar.com/Story0312Indio3.htm

I've always been curious, but I don't think I'm that curious.

I think I'll just keep staying in Borrego Springs.

18. JimK

JimK
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Donna P @ Jan 6 2007, 01:46 PM) [snapback]5696[/snapback]

Has anyone been to or stayed at or even looked at Slab City in California
    What are your thoughts on this place
    Thanks B)

I know the original post was several years ago, but there's a good 8 minute video about Slab City here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuv1BXEi_w

Pretty much tells it like it is....

19. movannernz

movannernz
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl Fuller @ Jan 7 2007, 05:01 PM) [snapback]5701[/snapback]

My New Year's resolution was to eat healthier and exercise more. You can tell where my mind is wondering to - when I saw the topic heading "Slab City", I thought it was about a Rib joint, and I love BBQ ribs, so had to open the thread!!!! Seems like I am always thinking about the tasty things that I can't have. Donna, sorry I am no help with info on your request, as I have never heard of it...

Happy New Year Cheryl, perhaps you should be on the Weight Watchers forum instead, like myself, I am also eating healthier and exercising more and have lost 1.6kg in my first week. So I will be nice and slim for our USA motorhome holiday. Summer here of course so it is pleasant to be outside. JulieT

20. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Movannernz,

You've made a mistake many of us has made at least once on this forum. You are replying to a years (5, actually) old post. I remember Cheryl from back then. Don't expect a response from her. I don't think she has been active on this forum for several years.