Slingbox Tv

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Bud in Florida, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

I have been looking at ways to get TV on the road. I was wondering if anyone here has tried a slingbox and then connected it to a regular TV through a video S connection? Thanks

2. ddbradley952

ddbradley952
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Bud in Florida @ Apr 17 2008, 10:44 PM) [snapback]11262[/snapback]

I have been looking at ways to get TV on the road. I was wondering if anyone here has tried a slingbox and then connected it to a regular TV through a video S connection? Thanks

The sling box really does work, and it goes like this:

I wanted to put cable in my camper but the cost to do so was high. In motion and stationary dishes were in the thousands, wiring was expensive, a term contract was also required. The headaches of rewiring were significant and the reliability of the service was hard to predict, trees blocked out the signal, wind and rain interfered all the time and at best only about 30% of the time could I expect ideal results. The sling box was the answer for me.

I already had cable TV and a high speed internet connection at home plus a laptop computer from work with internet capabilities. I hooked up the sling box to my spare bedroom TV and Ethernet router in about 5 minutes. It feeds my cable signal up to the internet where I can then watch cable TV on any computer in the world that is connected to the internet.

I then took my laptop computer and using either an air card from sprint or a wireless signal from my location can receive the same cable signal I get at home directly on my computer. I can receive signal on ANY computer from any place in the world in the world as long as it is connected to the internet. I did not need to make any modifications to the camper at all.

My analogue TV's were also obsolete so rather then buying digital TV's, I purchased a flat panel monitor and hooked it up to the laptop with a monitor cable extension cord and installed it in the bedroom. I now have cable TV in the living room as well as in the Bedroom. I can also move the monitor outside when I sit at the picnic table.

Cost? sling box $100. Laptop? Already had it. Flat panel monitor? $180 (already needed to replace the TV's so it really did not cost).

It should be noted that a sprint air card is basically a cel phone modem and provides high speed internet every where your cel phone works. THIS MEANS that you now have the equivalent of IN MOTION SATELLITE TV with out buying a dish. The best part is that you do not need to set up a dish, if trees are in the way of a dish then the dish will not work however the sling box with an internet connection does not have this problem.

This is probably going to put King Dome and other dishes out of business some day. Yeay!!!

3. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(ddbradley952 @ Apr 20 2008, 01:05 AM) [snapback]11276[/snapback]

The sling box really does work, and it goes like this:

I wanted to put cable in my camper but the cost to do so was high. In motion and stationary dishes were in the thousands, wiring was expensive, a term contract was also required. The headaches of rewiring were significant and the reliability of the service was hard to predict, trees blocked out the signal, wind and rain interfered all the time and at best only about 30% of the time could I expect ideal results. The sling box was the answer for me.

I already had cable TV and a high speed internet connection at home plus a laptop computer from work with internet capabilities. I hooked up the sling box to my spare bedroom TV and Ethernet router in about 5 minutes. It feeds my cable signal up to the internet where I can then watch cable TV on any computer in the world that is connected to the internet.

I then took my laptop computer and using either an air card from sprint or a wireless signal from my location can receive the same cable signal I get at home directly on my computer. I can receive signal on ANY computer from any place in the world in the world as long as it is connected to the internet. I did not need to make any modifications to the camper at all.

My analogue TV's were also obsolete so rather then buying digital TV's, I purchased a flat panel monitor and hooked it up to the laptop with a monitor cable extension cord and installed it in the bedroom. I now have cable TV in the living room as well as in the Bedroom. I can also move the monitor outside when I sit at the picnic table.

Cost? sling box $100. Laptop? Already had it. Flat panel monitor? $180 (already needed to replace the TV's so it really did not cost).

It should be noted that a sprint air card is basically a cel phone modem and provides high speed internet every where your cel phone works. THIS MEANS that you now have the equivalent of IN MOTION SATELLITE TV with out buying a dish. The best part is that you do not need to set up a dish, if trees are in the way of a dish then the dish will not work however the sling box with an internet connection does not have this problem.

This is probably going to put King Dome and other dishes out of business some day. Yeay!!!

How is the picture quality? I realize you are using a monitor. I wanted to hook my computer up to the TVs in my RV. Thanks for the information