Texas - Between Fredericksburg And Mission

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by lukidog, Dec 26, 2009.

1. lukidog

lukidog
    Expand Collapse

We'll be spending January in Fredericksburg and then plan to head south to ... who knows where... perhaps Mission. Just looking for some suggestions on places to stay and things to see along the way between F'brg and Mission. Thanks in advance.

Lukidog

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I first read your post a few hours ago, and since then I've been trying to think of some places to recommend for you. Actually I thought of many places; narrowing them down was the hard part.

First, places to stay: I don't know how far you want to travel before stopping again so some of these will be close to the Freds area.

These are in the Hill country:
    Buckhorn Lake Resort in Kerrville
    Parkview Riverside RV Park in Concan
    Garner State Park (listed here under Concan)
    Lost Maples State Natural Area (listed here under Vanderpool)
    Blazing Star in San Antonio

If you want to go to the Texas Coast try Pioneer RV Resort in Port Aransas.

There are numerous parks near Mission. I do not know what to recommend there.

As for places to see:

I'm sure you've already discovered the Nimitz Museum in Freds and all the wonderful little shops. Kerrville, Ingram, Boerne and almost all Hill Country towns have unique stores for browsing or buying.

Go to the east of Freds and you will find the Wild Seed Farm. I'm not sure they will have much blooming right now, but when they do it is a neat place. On farther east you will come to Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park. His and Lady Bird's home is here.

Keep going east and you will get to Austin which has way too many interesting places to cover here, but three of the best are the LBJ Presidential Library and Museum, the Texas State History Museum, and the Texas State Capitol.

Also in the Freds area is Enchanted Rock State Park. This is a great area to see Bluebonnets, but you will probably be gone before they bloom.

South of Freds you will find Garner State Park and Lost Maples. Garner is a very popular state park in the summer, but I'm not sure what it is like in the winter since its main attraction is the Frio River. Last Maples is known mainly for its beautiful fall color, but it is a nice area to see anytime.

Like Austin, San Antonio has lots to offer: The Alamo and other missions, the Riverwalk, El Mercado (Mexican market), the Institute of Texan Cultures, to name just a few. There is also Sea World and Fiesta Texas, but I'm sure they have very limited hours in the winter if they are even open at all. If you like basketball the Spurs will probably have some home games while you are in the area.

On your way to Mission you could detour a bit to Corpus Christi and Port Aransas. The Texas State Aquarium is interesting and the Whooping Cranes will be at their winter home in Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. The King Ranch is just a little northwest of Corpus, and they are supposed to have an interesting tour of the ranch.

There is so much more, but hopefully this will give you something to think about.

3. lukidog

lukidog
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your help, Texasrvers. While in F'brg, we plan to see a lot of the places you mentioned that are within a couple hours drive. Perhaps we'll make it over to the CC area on our way south. The Aransas Wildlife Refuge sounds pretty cool. Thanks again for your suggestions, I'm sure we'll add many of them to our itinerary.

Lukidog

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

5. Highway Star

Highway Star
    Expand Collapse

Bentsen Palm RV Resort in Mission. This is our 2nd winter here and a great place to stay. The price is a little on the high side (to me) but the sites are large, the grounds are beautiful and the staff is fabulous. We have access to the owner's property that is on the Rio Grande and he even provides free kayakes and bikes. There is a state park just down the road that we also have free access to walk or bike though. Guess when I look at all the amenities the price really isn't that bad.