RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another "fine" Enhancement By The Cable Company, Anyone encounter this at an RV Park?
Lindsay Richards
post Dec 21 2012, 09:18 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4762

I'll bet a lot of these boxes will drive off with the coach in the morning by accident. We already have a great solution to this, read a good book.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Jul 3 2013, 11:44 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16651

Well, now I have experienced two RV parks that required you to be a techno GEEK to watch cable TV. Those RV parks were served by Comcast.

I'm now at an RV park served by Charter. The RV Park owner told me that they haven't been hit yet, but Charter is about to require the same boxes that Comcast did.

I hope there is a way around this, who wants to have to be a techno GEEK to connect to cable?

--------------------
JJ from Pacific Northwest

Check out my blog on TOADLESS RVing!
http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me some suggestions.
+Quote Post
docj
post Jul 4 2013, 10:02 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

We were in a similar situation a few months ago. Normally we would use our satellite dish, but it was being blocked by a tree. I connected to the cable system without a box and could get about half the available channels with my HDTV but they were scattered all over the band and had some pretty odd channel numbers associated with them. Since we were only there for two nights we didn't care that much; it was too much trouble to get a cable box.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
+Quote Post
pianotuna
post Jul 6 2013, 11:03 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10403

Hi,

It is a cash grab in the name of "better service". If I want video--I get it via the wobbly wide web. Now if they would stop gouging us for bandwidth charges.....

--------------------
Regards,

Don
+Quote Post
Dutch_12078
post Jul 7 2013, 07:11 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 35147

Comcast, and locally at our base cottage, Time Warner, both supply the digital converters at no charge for the first six months or so after the all digital transition. After that, the converter rental for late comers is about half the cost of their standard set top box with all the bells and whistles.

--------------------
Dutch
Great Sacandaga Lake, NY
1995 Coachmen 33' Class A
2011 Toyota RAV4 toad
+Quote Post
Dutch_12078
post Jul 7 2013, 07:27 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 35147

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jul 4 2013, 01:44 AM) *

Well, now I have experienced two RV parks that required you to be a technophobe to watch cable TV. Those RV parks were served by Comcast.

I'm now at an RV park served by Charter. The RV Park owner told me that they haven't been hit yet, but Charter is about to require the same boxes that Comcast did.

I hope there is a way around this, who wants to have to be a technophobe to connect to cable?

I carry two thin flat RG6 adapters that allow the coax to pass through a window with it closed tightly enough to keep the bugs and rain out. When I run into a campsite that requires a digital converter, I connect a 25' cable to the pedestal cable connection and then to one of the thin pass-thru adapters. A short jumper cable then connects the pass-thru to the converter's "Cable In" port. Another jumper connects the converter's "To TV" port to the other thin pass-thru, with a 10' cable connecting that to my normal "Cable In" connection in the water bay. It's a bit more work than a standard straight in connection, but nothing all that technically difficult. When the UHF channels first went into widespread use in the 50's, many of us hooked up similar converters to our old black & white TV's with little or no technical knowledge.

--------------------
Dutch
Great Sacandaga Lake, NY
1995 Coachmen 33' Class A
2011 Toyota RAV4 toad
+Quote Post
KFS
post Aug 5 2013, 02:22 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 81442

Oh those boxes. I don't even like them at home.

The 80's called, they want their technology back.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com