2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Absolute Rv Newbies! Help Please!!
gpop
post Feb 20 2014, 02:56 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 85198

Hi, thanks everyone for all the great tips.. I did not know about the first rest stop and the free publications (although I have seen these publications..thanks).
I did chuckle at the comment about the movie RV..and I'll have to come back and post any newbie dramas for you all to chuckle at !!..I hope we won't have too many though! and yes, it will be an adventure.
The RV is supplied with crockery ect..not sure regarding linen..I need to double check that..we may hire or bring our own.
I am taking note of all the interesting places you have mentioned to look up in further detail..I m sure my husband will be a taker for the beer tour! We have been up Pike's peek as my children love trains- that was a great trip! and a beautiful part of Colorado.
We are getting very excited..so thanks everyone for your input.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RLM
post Feb 20 2014, 07:36 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8584

QUOTE(gpop @ Feb 20 2014, 02:56 AM) *

The RV is supplied with crockery ect..not sure regarding linen..I need to double check that..we may hire or bring our own.

You will not be able to "hire" (in the US we call it renting) linen. That would be a health issue covered by way too many governmental regulations that we have here.

Once you see and pick-up the RV that you have been assigned, just drive to the nearest WalMart store and pick out what you think you will need. If you forget something then you will find many WalMart stores along your route. WalMart in the US is compatible to Warehouse in NZ.

Another trick is to shop at a Goodwill store. Those are run by a national charitable organization where most of the pre-owned merchandise is donated for resale. The logic of buying used/pre-owned from Goodwill is that it's cheap. And, since you probably won't be taking it home with you, it can be given back to them or trashed as you so chose.
+Quote Post
Luvtheroad
post Feb 21 2014, 12:18 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45805

...not to mention that snow is still possible in the Black Hills up to June.
+Quote Post
Jerry S
post Feb 21 2014, 11:56 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10441

I have to go along with those who are warning that the weather around May 1st in the Black Hills area (Mt.Rushmore, Jewel Cave, and Wind Cave National Parks, Custer State Park, etc.) of South Dakota can still be cold and wintry. According to my weather almanac, typical temperatures at that time of year are lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s. Of course, it could be 10-15 degrees colder or warmer. Although the the above tourist attractions are open, many other things may not be ready for tourists yet. This includes some RV parks. According to Woodall's for example, most of the Custer State Park campgrounds don't open until mid-May. While most commercial parks will probably be open by May 1st, they won't be at peak season level (pools not open, water may still be off, etc. If you do take the South Dakota route, don't forget Badlands National Park 100 miles east of the Black Hills and Devil's Tower National Park (Wyoming) 100 miles northwest of the Hills You may also have a problem finding open RV parks on your way from Chicago to the Black Hills area the last week of April.

Have a great trip.
+Quote Post
vincee
post Mar 13 2014, 11:57 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 36179

Though the Montana and Dakota's are a dream trip for me coming from the Western New York State area, having never been there, I would think the time frame the OP is speaking of would be a little early for this neck of the woods. Or, just plain too cold. Route 66 would be a blast and much warmer heading south and back up through New Mexico which is beautiful in its own. Either way, OP, Good Luck on your trip and enjoy all that our beautiful country has to offer.
+Quote Post
gpop
post May 23 2014, 10:49 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 85198

Hi everyone who offered help, we just returned to NZ this week..our RV trip was fantastic..better than expected..we did go down to St Louis then up through S dakota and through the Black Hills and on over to Wyoming, Salt Lake . Yes, we got some snow but it was all fun and manageable..saw heaps of wildlife in Yellowstone. Only had a few minor hitches..the RV from El Monte..was not in as great a conditin as we'd been lead to believe by the rental company, the heater broke in St Louis so we had to delay our travel by a day to wait for it to be repaired prior to heading North..the other thing that astounded us was the price of fuel..this thing was thirsty! a 6 bed RV ..it cost $150 every 2nd day..but I guess that is standard...otherwise it was so much fun and we learnt lots..we'll do it again. But try to go as small as we can in terms of size of RV..to see if that makes it cheaper. There are lots of factory relocation specials, so daily rental fees are not high. Thanks all for your input.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com