RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is It Ok To Charge For Wifi, Should Campgrounds charge for Internet access?
Should Campgrounds Charge for WiFi?
Campground WiFi should:
be Free to entice more campers to the c/g [ 317 ] ** [78.27%]
be Free in the more "deluxe" sites [ 23 ] ** [5.68%]
be charged for on a per usage basis (recieve an access code at check in if paid for) [ 44 ] ** [10.86%]
be Charged for by an outside agency when loggin on [ 9 ] ** [2.22%]
not be a part of the camping experience (leave your technology at home) [ 12 ] ** [2.96%]
Total Votes: 405
Guests cannot vote 
Florida Native
post Sep 11 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #136

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4762

Why should the taxpayers of Kentucky provide you with WiFi for free?

Probably for the same reasons they provide me with all of those expensive slick multiple color brochures. The idea of a Welcome Station is to welcome people to the state and make them spend money to help the local businesses. My home state of Florida has been giving out free orange juice at it’s Welcome Stations before there was I-75. Many states have free WiFi and dumpsites at even many of their rest stops. It says, hey tourist, we like you and we want to give you a little something to make your stay in our fair state a pleasant one. When I was in business, I used to give away free stuff and it made me a lot of money in the long run. Charging for WiFi at a Welcome Station says, screw you Charlie. They also get only a small % of the fees anyway. I can remember last year driving out West and checking for open sites with my WiFi detector as we passed rest stops. We also stopped and used many of them. One of the first things we did was look for campgrounds and things to do. Internet advertising is a cheap way to get business and many (if not most) states take advantage of it. One KY pinhead official who has never had to meet a payroll probably decided to generate a little money and is making the tourist mad. I know, because I am a tourist and it made me mad as you can see. I am writing this at a Panerra Bread store. My wife and I just spent $14 on a nice dinner and are utilizing their free WiFi as we frequently do when boondocking. We choose them because of the free WiFi. Works out great for both of us.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RVRVRV
post Sep 16 2009, 01:46 PM
Post #137

Member No.: 36458

Included in that meal price is a charge to cover that free WiFi. Free seems to be going to the way side. Look how many states are closing dump stations and rest areas are next. With the economy as it is, federal, state, county, city and private company's are all charging for free items one way or another. Times are tough.
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Sep 19 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #138

Advanced Member

With the economy as it is, federal, state, county, city and private company's are all charging for free items one way or another. Times are tough.

Giving away free stuff to encourage more business has been a sucessful way of encouraging customers to use your business my whole life. This goes back to the free toaster when opening a bank account to a free smilely face glass with a gsdoline fillup. In tough times, the business people (or state tourism depts) that think smart will be the winners. The folks who cut back on their marketing and save pennies to lose dolllars will be the losers of the recession. Tough times require smart people to survive. Believe me, it works.

--------------------
+Quote Post
HappiestCamper
post Sep 19 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #139

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15651

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Sep 19 2009, 01:16 PM) *

Giving away free stuff to encourage more business has been a sucessful way of encouraging customers to use your business my whole life.<snip>

But what you are asking is only going to encourage people to sit at the welcome center using wi-fi - better to lower their sales tax, lower their income tax, so you pay less at their businesses - the businesses that you decide to spend your money. There is no such thing as a free lunch - someone has to pay for it.

And I can't believe this thread has gone ten pages.
+Quote Post
Smoketree
post Sep 20 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #140

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 35997

Free is good.... not really free, but included in the price. Charging over $8 a day like Don Laughlin's Riverside RV park is absurd.
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Sep 21 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #141

Advanced Member

There is no such thing as a free lunch - someone has to pay for it.

Very true and business has understood this for years. There is a competition for the consumer’s business and giving away something for “free” is a way that successful business have outdone their competition for years. I spent the $14 at Paneria Bread instead of their competitor down the street. Providing their “free to me” internet was a good marketing decision. We both won and the guy that lost was the guy down the street who didn’t get my business. This is multiplied numerous times every day and provides a boost to their business that is on top of their gross that has already covered their overhead. As a wise (and cheap) consumer, I search out the folks who give away “free to me” to patronize and spend my money. I have also invested my own money into ways to make this easier by buying a good WiFi detector and a good antenna.

--------------------
+Quote Post
pianotuna
post Sep 21 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #142

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10403

Hi Lindsay,

You are *not* cheap--you are careful. That is different than cheap!

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Sep 21 2009, 11:15 AM) *

Very true and business has understood this for years. There is a competition for the consumer’s business and giving away something for “free” is a way that successful business have outdone their competition for years. I spent the $14 at Paneria Bread instead of their competitor down the street. Providing their “free to me” internet was a good marketing decision. We both won and the guy that lost was the guy down the street who didn’t get my business. This is multiplied numerous times every day and provides a boost to their business that is on top of their gross that has already covered their overhead. As a wise (and cheap) consumer, I search out the folks who give away “free to me” to patronize and spend my money. I have also invested my own money into ways to make this easier by buying a good WiFi detector and a good antenna.

--------------------
Regards,

Don
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Sep 21 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #143

Advanced Member

You are *not* cheap--you are careful. That is different than cheap!

Believe me, I am thrifty. I actually considered getting satallite internet until I realized the cost. I am holding out for some new next technology that will replace everything and I can get the internet on my Dick Tracy video watch.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Aftica
post Sep 21 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #144

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 37410

QUOTE(drmcleod @ Jul 18 2008, 05:18 PM) *

Should Campgrounds charge for Internet access?

I would like to get other opinions on this.

My opinion is no! I have two reasons for this.

First, as a consumer. Having free internet access is actually one of the things I look for in a campground. It's a 'perk' if you will. If I have the choice between two, somewhat comparable, c/g's then I will choose the one with free WiFi. Heck, I'll even choose the one with free WiFi over one that is slightly nicer with fee for service.

Second, as a business owner (of which I am one). It does not cost more to allow the whole campground access to your broadband service. The only additional expense is the addition of the hardware. In some cases this might be more expensive if additional antennas are required and installation requires an expert. Also, a higher than basic internet subscription is needed. However, if the c/g is going to charge for its WiFi service, then all of this has to be done anyway. Therefore, consider it a marketing expense to drive more people to your c/g. Why do you think that places like Panera Bread and even McDonald's are offering free WiFi? I know I choose to eat there when I need a place to surf while I eat. In my case, I want more people to come to my place of business, so I make my wireless service available to all. It costs me no more, but brings more people to me.

What do you think?

I do tend to agree with you. At worst, build it into your price. The more that you can offer in one net net price the better IMHO.

What is VERY irritating is to find that "WiFi at site" is nonsense. How many of us have found that! We travel because I can stay in contact with the office. No WiFi = no business
+Quote Post
jobob
post Sep 22 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #145

Member No.: 26421

I can have a really good signal (now that I got my antenna fixed) then a big rig parks next to me and blocks it or some selfish individual decides to download movies. It isn't the parks fault when this happens. I don't think McDonalds or the other places that offer free WiFi have to contend with people watching movies, TV, streaming stock quotes or videos, downloading large files, using VOIP or other bandwidth hogging applications. I seriously doubt if they allow people to stay for hours and hours using their internet. If someone depends on WiFi to run a business or finds it absolutely essential to their happiness they need to have their own system and not depend on a free shared service. Shared systems are just that...shared. If everyone follows the rules it works well. Unfortunately, that rarely happens. I amazes me how many inconsiderate people there are. I've been an Rv'er for over 40 years and it never used to be that way.
+Quote Post
gilda
post Sep 22 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #146

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16004

. If someone depends on WiFi to run a business or finds it absolutely essential to their happiness they need to have their own system and not depend on a free shared service. Shared systems are just that...shared. If everyone follows the rules it works well. Unfortunately, that rarely happens. I amazes me how many inconsiderate people there are. I've been an Rv'er for over 40 years and it never used to be that way.

Good post jobob!! This is so true. If you HAVE to have good, secure service, then you best get your own and pay for it. Free shared service is NOT perfect because too many shelfish people abuse it. I'm amased at all the complaints I will get when EVERYONE in the park gets on at 8pm and the system slows down. (or on a rainy day). Either stop complaining or better yet, head out to McDonalds or Panera Bread like another mentioned.

+Quote Post
kcmoedoe
post Sep 22 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #147

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21445

The last two Micky D's I ate at both charged $4.95 for an hour of internet access. That really runs up the price of a "Royale with cheese".
+Quote Post
Park Manager
post Oct 20 2009, 08:16 PM
Post #148

Member No.: 31225

My thought is "no" - do not charge for wifi. However, if the park's internet service requires a code, I would wonder if a discount to a guest might be appropriate if they don't want the code to access . . . maybe $1 per day? Not everyone accesses the internet OR has their own access. The fewer people on the park system should mean less problems in connection speed. Why not give a discount to the non-user? Does anyone else do this?
+Quote Post
Galli
post Oct 25 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #149

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4833

QUOTE(drmcleod @ Jul 18 2008, 04:18 PM) *

Should Campgrounds charge for Internet access?

I would like to get other opinions on this.

My opinion is no! I have two reasons for this.

First, as a consumer. Having free internet access is actually one of the things I look for in a campground. It's a 'perk' if you will. If I have the choice between two, somewhat comparable, c/g's then I will choose the one with free WiFi. Heck, I'll even choose the one with free WiFi over one that is slightly nicer with fee for service.

Second, as a business owner (of which I am one). It does not cost more to allow the whole campground access to your broadband service. The only additional expense is the addition of the hardware. In some cases this might be more expensive if additional antennas are required and installation requires an expert. Also, a higher than basic internet subscription is needed. However, if the c/g is going to charge for its WiFi service, then all of this has to be done anyway. Therefore, consider it a marketing expense to drive more people to your c/g. Why do you think that places like Panera Bread and even McDonald's are offering free WiFi? I know I choose to eat there when I need a place to surf while I eat. In my case, I want more people to come to my place of business, so I make my wireless service available to all. It costs me no more, but brings more people to me.

What do you think?

I AM NOT A CAMP OWNER !!!!
Well, I am bivalent regarding your opinion for charging and not charging the internet facility at the camp.
I have to recognize that I would not choose a camp without this facility but I could not expect that the cost of it be prorated to the rest of the campers.
Internet is becoming an important tool like the telephone, camera, cars etc.. but it is not a feature that every one uses, therefore, yes, I insist to have the facility but I am ready to pay provided that it is a reasonable cost.
Furthermore, as you mentioned in your message, in certain occasions, it will be very expensive for park owners to install towers and lines etc. and since it is not part of the purpose of the camp to excel in communication, I don’t see why it should be a free service there.
In closing, in case of a luxury camp, yes, it should be free.
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Nov 7 2009, 08:39 AM
Post #150

Advanced Member

Interesting and suprising survery on RV'ers and computers.

My Webpage

--------------------
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com