Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Taking A Poll
rv1
post Mar 1 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 34460

How many people carry a firearm in their rv? Been telling the wife lots of people have a gun on board just in case a problem comes up and before people start going off I know as a last resort but sometimes people or animals leave you no choice.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
John Blue
post Mar 1 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 214

NO, only a heavy copper power cable. This item stays near the door. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
John
Brandon, Fl.
FMCA F-248693
Foretravel MH
Honda CRV tow
+Quote Post
joez
post Mar 1 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19489

I think if you do the research you will find the percentage of people in rvs with firearms will be about the same as those with firearms in their homes/cars. IMO, there would be no additional reason to have a firearm in an rv than in your stick and brick. It is also prudent to remember, IMO, that anything posted here stays on the internet forever (just google your forum user name). A clever person could match your answer with a person and have the information you just published. Whether I carry weapons or not is not really something I would wish to broadcast - your mileage may vary.
+Quote Post
fpullanosr
post Mar 1 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 42329

My experiance is that 75-80% of RVers carry a firearm.
+Quote Post
kcmoedoe
post Mar 1 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21445

I have them at my home, but never carry one in the RV. There are too many jurisdictions across the country where the mere possession of a sidearm could be a truly severe problem. At home I am aware of what noises exist, what is normal and what is not. In an RV everything changes every day. I feel that makes having a firearm more dangerous. The actual chances of using a firearm to prevent a serious crime or a serious animal attack is almost zero especially in unfamiliar surroundings. Not worth the risk to me.
+Quote Post
rv1
post Mar 2 2011, 06:23 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 34460

QUOTE(joez @ Mar 1 2011, 10:11 PM) *

I think if you do the research you will find the percentage of people in rvs with firearms will be about the same as those with firearms in their homes/cars. IMO, there would be no additional reason to have a firearm in an rv than in your stick and brick. It is also prudent to remember, IMO, that anything posted here stays on the internet forever (just google your forum user name). A clever person could match your answer with a person and have the information you just published. Whether I carry weapons or not is not really something I would wish to broadcast - your mileage may vary.

I do know about the net thanks but i never said I have one or not just taking a poll I guess if a person wants to find out if I do try to brake in to my rv
+Quote Post
Lindsay Richards
post Mar 2 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

I have a Mossburg 500 12 gauge shotgun with an 18" barrel and a pistol grip in the bedroom of the motor home with very easy access. I also have a Kel-Tec 380 Auto for my truck (toad) which is small and fits within my hand, It is also used as a second weapon by many cops (Where I got mine used.) I has a 5 shot clip and I have two. In hundreds of nights, I have never felt like we needed them, but it was nice to know. I have a concealed carry permit that is valid in about 30 states. The first time we ever stayed at Wal-Mart, I got out the shotgun and laid it by the bed. The next morning when I counted 6 other RV's in the parking lot, I realized it wasn't necessary.
I would recommend that if you decide to carry a weapon at least take your wife to the range to get her comfortable with shooting it. Also decide on a safe place to shoot it in the floor to scare off an intruder.

--------------------
+Quote Post
FosterImposters
post Mar 3 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17719

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Mar 2 2011, 08:24 PM) *

...decide on a safe place to shoot it in the floor to scare off an intruder...

Intersting thread.
Safest place: out an open door, window or ceiling vent. Relatively easy to rescreen.

Something else one must anticipate.
Ever fired something inside a small space? Be prepared for everyone (including pets) to be painfully deaf for a bit.

DH packs a large revolver from another era. I'm much more comfortable with the 12-gauge. Never had to use either while in the rig.
Have had great fun target practicing at various shooting ranges and privately owned boonies over the years. cool.gif

All get packed in a safe (with family) when we head for Canadian points of destination. So in those cases, we are 'armed' with a ball bat and mace. Feeling lucky? dry.gif
+Quote Post
zthatzmanz28
post Mar 4 2011, 10:27 AM
Post #9

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 53442

QUOTE(rv1 @ Mar 1 2011, 09:05 PM) *

How many people carry a firearm in their rv? Been telling the wife lots of people have a gun on board just in case a problem comes up and before people start going off I know as a last resort but sometimes people or animals leave you no choice.

Carry one whenever we travel.
+Quote Post
RLM
post Mar 5 2011, 02:20 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8584

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Mar 1 2011, 09:07 PM) *

There are too many jurisdictions across the country where the mere possession of a sidearm could be a truly severe problem.

About 2/3 of the states honor each other's conceal carry permits. Generally, it is those states that don't allow concealed carry that would present the problem. But this brings up an interesting question. If it is the RV is it a concealed status or is it just "in the house."

I would respectfully suggest that anyone who is going to have a handgun in the rig to get a CCP. There is a safety and training component if nothing else.
+Quote Post
NorthernIllinoisPlumber
post Mar 7 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 39785

QUOTE(RLM @ Mar 5 2011, 02:20 PM) *

About 2/3 of the states honor each other's conceal carry permits. Generally, it is those states that don't allow concealed carry that would present the problem. But this brings up an interesting question. If it is the RV is it a concealed status or is it just "in the house."

I would respectfully suggest that anyone who is going to have a handgun in the rig to get a CCP. There is a safety and training component if nothing else.

While camping in a tent, rv, pop-up, shed, or hotel room any area you may legally call your "home" the Supreme Court has determined a right to privacy under the 4th Amendment.

Its "in the house."

+Quote Post
Butch
post Mar 8 2011, 09:01 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3801

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Mar 3 2011, 11:35 PM) *

[/i]

Intersting thread.
Safest place: out an open door, window or ceiling vent. Relatively easy to rescreen.

Something else one must anticipate.
Ever fired something inside a small space? Be prepared for everyone (including pets) to be painfully deaf for a bit.

DH packs a large revolver from another era. I'm much more comfortable with the 12-gauge. Never had to use either while in the rig.
Have had great fun target practicing at various shooting ranges and privately owned boonies over the years. cool.gif

All get packed in a safe (with family) when we head for Canadian points of destination. So in those cases, we are 'armed' with a ball bat and mace. Feeling lucky? dry.gif

I thought "mace...pepper spray, etc", were banned in Canada ????

--------------------
Butch & Kathy
and "Greta"
says, "me too !"
FMCA # F412606
+Quote Post
JDOLLEN
post Mar 9 2011, 05:43 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16768

QUOTE(Butch @ Mar 8 2011, 08:01 AM) *

I thought "mace...pepper spray, etc", were banned in Canada ????

Pepper spray etc is very legal in Canada. Up here we use it on bears though.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wprigge
post Mar 9 2011, 09:06 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5036

QUOTE(JDOLLEN @ Mar 9 2011, 06:43 AM) *

Pepper spray etc is very legal in Canada. Up here we use it on bears though.

You might know that people hiking in the forests are encouraged to wear little bells on them to warn bears about their presence, as bears might attack if they are surprised. Pepper spray is supposed to be used as last defense. In outdoor education people are also taught the difference between black bear and grizzly scat, as it might come in handy to identify the kind of bear in the area. Black bear scat has lots of seeds from wild berries in it, grizzly scat has shreds of textiles and small bells in it and smells like pepper.
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Mar 9 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

QUOTE(wprigge @ Mar 9 2011, 09:06 AM) *

Black bear scat has lots of seeds from wild berries in it, grizzly scat has shreds of textiles and small bells in it and smells like pepper.

Good one. laugh.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com