2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do Your Research
gene007
post Apr 11 2013, 01:41 AM
Post #16

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 77899

I am brand new to RV living. For sure I will be reading more reviews. From what I have read so far I feel a little troubled. I have read alot about not having room for larger RVs, no spots available, not able to reserve in advance. I was hoping to take a little of the uncertainty out of travel. Am I being too paranoid?
Regards, Gene sad.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post Apr 11 2013, 07:49 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 14080

I think you are just being a bit over cautious. Try staying in some different CG's closer to home and pay attention to the site size and other things there. Talk to the owner/manager and other RV'ers. You can get some great advice about what to look for and what to avoid. You can get good advice from reading reviews on this site and asking questions. As you get more comfortable with traveling in an RV you will be able to relax and enjoy. RV'ing is fun!
+Quote Post
joez
post Apr 11 2013, 08:11 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19489

QUOTE(gene007 @ Apr 11 2013, 01:41 AM) *

I am brand new to RV living. For sure I will be reading more reviews. From what I have read so far I feel a little troubled. I have read alot about not having room for larger RVs, no spots available, not able to reserve in advance. I was hoping to take a little of the uncertainty out of travel. Am I being too paranoid?
Regards, Gene sad.gif

Kind of depends on where you want to stay. If you are limiting your search to only public campgrounds (state/COE parks for example) then all the issues you ask about are possible. Many public parks were built when rvs were small and people did not want all the amenities found today in many parks so larger rvs may have difficulty maneuvering and parking there. If you feel you must be at a popular park near water, amusement parks, etc. during prime summer vacation time, then you may have issues finding a spot. Also, if you are in a short season area (lots of winter, not much summer) you will be competing with lots of folks rushing to take advantage of the few sites available.

If, on the other hand, you are like many of us, and are willing to park in a clean, safe full service commercial park that is not right next to a touristy attraction, then you should have no problems finding suitable space. We have literally stayed in dozens of commercial and public parks in the last few years with very few problems. We avoid high traffic areas when the kids are out of school and park in public parks during the week and leave before the weekend. If there is somewhere that we want to stay that is very popular, we make reservations well in advance - if reservations are not available we probably will not even try to go there. Unless you are absolutely committed to a specific spot during a specific time, you should be able to find many acceptable parking places.
+Quote Post
Fitzjohnfan
post Apr 11 2013, 01:35 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41655

QUOTE(docj @ Apr 8 2013, 08:57 PM) *

I concur with your advice, but I doubt that those that need it most will take it. I am constantly amazed on RV forums by the number of people who ask questions that could easily be answered by a simple Google search. It's beyond my comprehension why anyone would select a campground without having first used Google Maps to locate it relative to points of interest in the area. Those are, no doubt, the same people who post questions like "I'm driving from Boston to LA, can anyone suggest things to see on the way?" The very fact that they post questions or reviews on this site suggest that they at least own a computer; one would think that learning to use it would be the next step! biggrin.gif

docj, when I first joined several RV forums a few years ago, I would jump at the chance to offer suggestions to these types of questions, but I see your point, that these people really need to do some of their research themselves. There was just another post on another forum that said "going to Denver, Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore, can you suggest some nice places to stay"? (Sure, stay at your computer a few hours and look at this website)

Isn't have the fun of taking a trip is in the planning? Occasionally you make a mistake once in a while, but it will give you more to talk about later.

--------------------
Chris G.
Westminster, CO
FMCA: F3508-S
1989 32' Southwind MH
+Quote Post
docj
post Apr 11 2013, 11:35 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ Apr 11 2013, 03:35 PM) *

Isn't have the fun of taking a trip is in the planning? Occasionally you make a mistake once in a while, but it will give you more to talk about later.

I totally agree. Between Google Maps, TripAdvisor.com, Yelp, and RVParkReviews, trip planning has been made relatively easy. It's a heck of a lot easier (and cheaper) than it was when you had to buy guide books on different areas as you traveled. We consider it fun to find interesting places to see or good, local restaurants to eat at. That's what makes RVing so much fun for us.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
+Quote Post
busyteach
post Apr 16 2013, 05:06 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4432

Ah oh, I do admit sometimes I ask about things to see from folks that have been there sad.gif. Lazy on my part maybe, but I also like to hear other's opinions, especially those that might live in a state. You ask me about Kentucky, I'll tell you what I think are neat places to go out of the many you might find in a search. Please excuse the next time I ask this question haha. No offense taken, none meant.

Paul & Debbie
2011 Winnebago Via
+Quote Post
Tom
post Apr 18 2013, 06:53 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1770

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jun 4 2012, 09:08 PM) *

It was a fairly long review for Happy Jack Lodge and RV Park in Happy Jack, AZ and gave the park a rating of 1. The first half of the review described the park and said nothing negative. Then they went on to say that the park out in the middle of nowhere and it was 20 miles from anything (stores, restuarants, etc.). They were bored because there was nothing to do in the park. How do you go to a park and not know it is 20 miles from the nearest town? I can understand people being misled by park websites and being disappointed in the facilities and amenities, but this is ludicrous.

I laughed reading that review. As you say, the first half sounds like it is leading up to a 9 or 10 rating... then they give it a 1, basically only because they are far away from everything! Which is something a lot of campers are actually looking for.

Oh well, see you on the road.

--------------------
2008 F-250 5.4L CrewCab
2004 21' Forest River Surveyor TT
+Quote Post
HappiestCamper
post Jun 11 2013, 06:48 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15651

Just saw one where they were complaining that the lady on the phone didn't tell them that dogs weren't allowed on the beach, nor in beach front sites. A quick check of their website says "Sorry, no pets are allowed on the Beach Front Sites as pets are not allowed on the beach."

--------------------
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

IPB Image

CG's we've been to - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&....811523&z=7
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com