2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> List Parks That You Have Or Would Stay For At Least A Month
stitchlips
post Sep 12 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 49840

I am new here and my wife and I are going to start full timing. I would like to know from anyone, anywhere in the USA, what parks they have or would consider staying at for a period of at least a month. It can be federal parks, state parks, resorts or boondocking it really does not matter.

I would like to start penciling in some good places on my map. I am born and raised in Florida and have not been to many other places.

Thanks in advance and I hope there are a lot of suggestions.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FosterImposters
post Sep 13 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17719

Welcome aboard Stitchlips! Like you two, we thought about full timing quite a while before actually cutting the landlines. (Like everytime one of us was laid off, downsized, right-sized, or was made cross country re-location offers.) tongue.gif

We've now been full-timing 4 years. We've evolved. You will too. What was the cat's meow when we started out; no longer works so well.

Our first winter (from Southern California), we just wanted to stay someplace close by on a monthly basis so we could get the hang of a new coach, and finalize a ton of details, including our home's sale. Literally nothing in our community would either allow, or had the infrastructure to support month to month stays. Sort of trapped by weather as well. If we could have made Pechanga Resort in Temecula, California our monthly headquarters, it would have been perfect. New, concrete pads, safe, totally robust hook-ups, satellite, cell phone friendly and great proximity to everything we knew. Alas, 29 days was the most they could do. Then an undefined time had to be spent off-site.

We actually spent a fair amount of time there, then would bounce out to the Anza Borrego Desert.

The AB Desert is my favorite, but was too far away for all the daily running around we needed to accomplish that first winter. (Had to run up and down those mountains everytime a realtor called!)

NOW, it's a perfect winter location. I don't think the State Park allows monthly stays, but there's a very nice new RV and Golf Resort in the town of Borrego Springs now.

What do you two like? Golfers, bikers, frustrated naturalists (like me)?
+Quote Post
A.E.Michell
post Sep 13 2010, 07:44 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17786

Hi! Welcome...IF I had all the money in the world I would go to The Outdoor Resort in Hilton Head,SC. I can keep on dreaming!
+Quote Post
stitchlips
post Sep 14 2010, 08:27 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 49840

We love nature and love to ride our bikes. We just want to see the world!
+Quote Post
A.E.Michell
post Sep 14 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17786

In Hilton Head there are about 50 miles of paved trails as well as the hard packed beach where you can ride for 12 miles in 1 direction. Lots of nature also!
+Quote Post
FosterImposters
post Sep 14 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17719

QUOTE(stitchlips @ Sep 14 2010, 07:27 AM) *

We love nature and love to ride our bikes. We just want to see the world!

OK we have a vibe.
Can recommend Astoria, Oregon. History, location, beauty, the Columbia River, food, ahhhh. It's close enough to Portland for mega shopping, but remote enough to avoid the crush.

Fort Stevens State Park is a fabulous location and after Labor Day, it is MUCH less crowded. It has paved bike trails all over. Downside is the limited connectivity with electronics.

Another option is the Lewis and Clark RV Park in south Astoria. Newer park, robust hook-ups, no hassle cell and satellite connectivity and they cater to the those who can entertain themselves. (aka no little kids). Was a fabulous base for us. The owners will adopt you.
cool.gif
+Quote Post
RFCN2
post Sep 15 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50133

smile.gif The RV Park we have stayed at so far that I could easily spend a month at is the "Springs at Borrego". This is in Borrego Springs CA. We have spent a week here the last two years from just after Christmas till just after New Years and we really love it. The park is immaculately clean, beautiful, great views, green in the desert, golf, bike riding, big dog run, wonderful winter weather. Plus Borrego is a great small place. Quiet but not empty. Not much to do but some things to do. Plus Palm Springs is an acceptable drive.
smile.gif We also like the Tombstone Territories RV Park just west of Tombstone. We were very comfortable here for several days earlier this year and could spend a month here. Not nearly as lux as the Springs, but very nice people and beautiful stars at night.

--------------------
Bob & Barbara
2002 Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2013 Airdale Terrier
+Quote Post
Tom
post Sep 20 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1770

In Connecticut.... hmm.... My first thought is there isn't one campground/park here I'd like to spend a whole month at. From a practical standpoint, though, I guess a full service campground sorta in the middle would be good. Connecticut is not too big, so a middle campground allows day trips to pretty much the whole state.

I guess Nelson's Family Campground in East Hampton would work. Has full hookups, a busy, well maintained campground, and you can explore the state from there.

I'll have to think more about this!

Have fun campin'!

--------------------
2008 F-250 5.4L CrewCab
2004 21' Forest River Surveyor TT
+Quote Post
TexasRee
post Sep 25 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12660

QUOTE(stitchlips @ Sep 12 2010, 09:23 PM) *

I am new here and my wife and I are going to start full timing. I would like to know from anyone, anywhere in the USA, what parks they have or would consider staying at for a period of at least a month. It can be federal parks, state parks, resorts or boondocking it really does not matter.

I would like to start penciling in some good places on my map. I am born and raised in Florida and have not been to many other places.

Thanks in advance and I hope there are a lot of suggestions.

If within your budget, Outdoor Resorts are great. We own one in Indio, CA, and have stayed at several others, Las Vegas, one in Arkansas is awesome, Oregon, is nice if you like the coast. A couple of weeks we visited "The Palms" a new resort in Yuma, AZ. We are seriously considering a month or two there next winter. There are lots of great places around, depending on your style and budget! ENJOY!!!!!

Jurhee

--------------------
Jurhee

FMCA F-101770

2003 Country Coach Intrigue
+Quote Post
Piscesman
post Sep 26 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #10

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 42221

Pleasant Harbor RV Resort north of Phoenix...the sites are small, but the location and the low monthly rates can't be beat! Zion River Resort just outside Zion Nat'l Park.
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Sep 27 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16651

Doubt you would ever have a reason to go to Richland, WA (in the middle of a desert and all that Hanford stuff....), but if you do, Horn Rapids RV Resort is an EXCELLENT place to spend a month. They keep pretty late hours (open as early as 6:00 AM, I think......) and stay open to I think 8:00 PM in Winter, longer in summer.

http://www.hornrapidsrvresort.com/

They plan activities for everyone there, they have dinners, Poker, breakfasts..... Good place to meet people.

JJ

--------------------
JJ from Pacific Northwest

Check out my blog on TOADLESS RVing!
http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me some suggestions.
+Quote Post
AngelB
post Oct 2 2010, 04:09 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 50772

Crown Point Camping Area in Perkensville, VT. Hands down, no contest.
Id live there fulltime if I could. Beautiful, the lay-out is like a small community with little roads, big private sites lots of trees. Hand carved 'street' signs with names like "whipperwill lane".

(I tried writing a review but I kept getting timed out =/)

Anyways, if you're ever in Vermont, this place is a must.
+Quote Post
rvgirl22
post Oct 3 2010, 10:59 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 50808

I travel with my work and stay at about 8 to 10 parks a year. I use the park reviews here, quite alot while making my decision in choosing a park.
The only time the reviews were wrong, was with a park in the Jackson Ms area (specifically Brandon, Ms)
DO NOT wacko.gif stay at the Allens Creek Resort in Brandon. The management (who do not own the park) was terrible and some of the worst I have ever had to deal with in my travels.
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Oct 3 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

QUOTE(rvgirl22 @ Oct 3 2010, 11:59 AM) *

I travel with my work and stay at about 8 to 10 parks a year. I use the park reviews here, quite alot while making my decision in choosing a park.
The only time the reviews were wrong, was with a park in the Jackson Ms area (specifically Brandon, Ms)
DO NOT wacko.gif stay at the Allens Creek Resort in Brandon. The management (who do not own the park) was terrible and some of the worst I have ever had to deal with in my travels.

Hmmmm, I thought the topic was parks you WOULD stay at.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom
post Oct 3 2010, 11:18 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1770

QUOTE(AngelB @ Oct 2 2010, 03:09 AM) *

(I tried writing a review but I kept getting timed out =/)

Try writing the review beforehand using something like Microsoft Word, then just copy and paste it into the review for RVParkreviews.

--------------------
2008 F-250 5.4L CrewCab
2004 21' Forest River Surveyor TT
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com