RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Info On Fuel Mpg For Vehicle Pulled Trailer Or Motorhome., Comparing Motorhome and Truck Towed Trailers MPG
VtLee
post Jul 23 2011, 03:59 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 50720

We have a '97 Ford F-250 that has been used only for camping. The engine is 7.3 liters with a 5 speed standard shift. We started out with a 10ft. truck camper and averaged 14 mpg. We then switched to a 30ft. Jayco Eagle 5th. wheel which weighed around 10,000 lbs. and we averaged 11 mpg. Last year we bought a 27.5 ft. Cougar 5th wheel which is around 8,000 lbs. and more aerodynamic. My MPG has been pretty consistent at around 13, depending more on speed than anything else. I try not to go over 65 mph. I would assume that the newer trucks would get better mileage. Since 2007 the new diesel fuel formulation is not as powerful.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tallboy
post Jul 24 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1860

Have a used 2000 Kenworth T-600. Was modified to carry two motorcycles. That was the main reason for getting it. Has a 430 hp diesel enigne. Pulls a 15,900 pound trailer. Truck gets 8.5 to 9.5 mpg.

Have have since sold the motorcycles and have a car. Don't tow it behind the trailer since there are so many states where it's illegal to we'd be to long anyway.

Have thought about selling the truck and getting a 2011 or newer Dodge, Chevy, GMC, or Ford with the new and improved engine, but not sure it will pull the trailer up a 7% grade at the speed limit. Which I can do now.
+Quote Post
Meyer Camping
post Jul 24 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31262

Our 2002 GMC Yukon XL 2500 has the 8.1 liter engine and tows 12,000 pounds so it handles our 7,400 pound (empty) with no problems. Over the last 37,000 miles we have averaged 9.93 mpg. over that period. For us, the biggest factor is speed. I try to keep the speed at 60 when pulling the trailer since our mileage can drop to 6.5 when pushing hard.

--------------------
John, Lisa, Jessica & Brittany
Outback Sydney Edition 310BHS
2002 GMC Yukon XL SLT
+Quote Post
vincee
post Jul 27 2011, 03:06 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 36179

I think the moral of the whole story is that you can expect to get between 8 to 10 miles per gallon humming along between 60 and 65mph, and it does not matter what combination of rig you run. I confirm this with my 31ft Allegro with the V10 Ford. For trips longer than a weekend outing (which is going to be between 75 to 150 miles from home), I just use an average of 8mpg for my trip budgeting purpose. This has worked well for my wife and I and we gererally have a little extra $$ left over from fuel costs. We also plan time based on the 60-65mph base for stops and arrival times etc.
As other posts have pointed out, unless you want to be destained only to the campground, you have to tow something. The question is then what do you want to drive day in and day out when you are not camping? We also like the idea of tooling down the two lane with the abiltiy to have sandwiches and snacks as we make time to our destination.
+Quote Post
pgfamily
post Jul 28 2011, 03:46 PM
Post #20

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 46192

We have a 2011 F350 4x4 with the 6.7 diesel, and tow a 32' jayco weighing 10000lbs. We get about 12mpg doing about 70mph. I'm told that when I get a few more miles on the truck, I'll start getting a few more mpg's too, so I'm happy.
+Quote Post
KETTERMN
post Jul 29 2011, 08:55 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 5614

QUOTE(mstennmom @ Oct 11 2006, 09:56 PM) *

biggrin.gif We are looking to purchase another RV. We did own a RV for a year or so but sold it about 2 years back. I would like to compare the mileage of different RVs all classes and Trucks used to pull trailers. I would like as many posts as possible so I and others can use it to help determine the best purchase for our use. Could you please describe the RV if it is deisel or unleaded, size, year, make, model etc. and if you tow a vehicle behind or same type Truck information used to pull the brief trailer and trailer description and post what your mileage is on the road or used for towing. I am really confused about what type of motorhome to purchase and unfortunately, for us the mileage is something for us to consider. I thought instead of looking for site after site to get this information which is actually pretty difficult to find, I would ask for the campers to post this information and then we could review this to help us determine which type of camper to purchase. I will not use this information for any other reason and I really don't ask for anyone to leave other information but if they would like to give other relavant info like if they would recommend the camper or vehicle then I would appreciate that as well. I think that this information would be extremely helpful to others out there looking at this information in relation to purchasing a new camper. Thanks for your help.

We have 38 ft 5th wheel with 5 slides outs, fulley loaded, pulling with 1998 F350 truck 6.0 engine we get right at 12 miles to the gallon on gas. We like the fact of droping the home and driving the truck where we need to go after set up.It is easer for us with big family.Hope this helps.
+Quote Post
RFCN2
post Jul 31 2011, 09:36 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50133

We have a 42' country coach affinity with tag. Weight is something like 40,000 lbs. With Saturn tow we get around 7-8 mpg average. Some friends of ours have a 35' Bounder DP and just got back from 8,000 mile trip. They averaged 9.6 mpg towing an Explorer. IMHO these are about the average you can expect. I usually keep my hwy speed about 62.

--------------------
Bob & Barbara
2002 Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2013 Airdale Terrier
+Quote Post
DavyD
post Aug 5 2011, 02:43 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 33081

I have a 30 foot Class "C" Motorhome with a 6.8 liter Ford V-10 engine. In addition, I pull a Saturn Vue SUV. I usually average 7 to 8 miles per gallon in a year that I usually travel around 12,000 miles. One more variable that I will throw in is that I will try to avoid interstate highways and travel on US highways when possible to get to see more of the cities and towns as opposed to driving around them.
+Quote Post
campinggirl1964
post Aug 6 2011, 08:15 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2789

Greetings:

Tow vehicle: 2000 Ford F350, 7.3l turbo diesel
RV: 2006 Silverback 33LBHTS, 35', 10,500 lbs dry

2 recent trips this year:
Ontario - Florida: averaged 11.6 MPG for entire trip
Ontario - Massachusetts - Ohio: averaged 12.0 MPG

Highway speed is typically 60 - 62 MPH
+Quote Post
Tom
post Aug 8 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1770

I wonder if the original poster ever came back to read the replys?

--------------------
2008 F-250 5.4L CrewCab
2004 21' Forest River Surveyor TT
+Quote Post
campinggirl1964
post Aug 9 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2789

QUOTE(Tom @ Aug 8 2011, 08:13 PM) *

I wonder if the original poster ever came back to read the replys?

I just realized his post was from 2006....hopefully he made his decision long ago, however, it's interesting to see the different comparisons! cool.gif
+Quote Post
chowhound
post Aug 11 2011, 07:13 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41909

The original post may have been from 2006, but they have had more replies in the last 30 days than the the original. Although I feel somewht responible for the "rebirth" of this thread, I found it interesting that the everyones results were pretty consistant, despite 5 years of technology advances.
+Quote Post
vincee
post Aug 12 2011, 09:35 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE(chowhound @ Aug 11 2011, 07:13 PM) *

The original post may have been from 2006, but they have had more replies in the last 30 days than the the original. Although I feel somewht responible for the "rebirth" of this thread, I found it interesting that the everyones results were pretty consistant, despite 5 years of technology advances.

chowhound I think the MPG has not changed that much because the advances that you would think modern technology has given us is being eaten up with more weight and features. My
Allegro is a 2000, and in some ways looks like it is ancient compared to how rigs are being built today. More slide outs, tile floors (heavy), bigger fridges, more stowage space to load up on alot junk probably not needed, to name just a few. I also think that you can only do so much because of the aerodynamics and shear size of of todays RV's. When I think of it though, we have had some improvements. Had a friend back in the 80's with a nice size class C. It had a Chevy 454 in it. His average mileage back and forth from WNY to Florida several times a year was in the 3-4 MPG! ranges. If that was still the case today, I would think alot of us would find another way to enjoy the great outdoors and the splendor this country holds for us.
+Quote Post
elkhntr4evr
post Apr 1 2012, 04:58 AM
Post #29

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 67431

I have not yet purchased an RV and am looking at buying a Diesel Pusher, so I appreciate everyones comments to the person that asked questions concerning Motorhomes to Travel trailers, and Fifth wheels. I plan on getting mine when I return from Afghanistan within a few months. I have about two more years until I retire, and love being in the outdoors, and traveling. I love to drive. I am coming back to Fort Hood, TX so if anyone knows of any good deals there and they don't mind helping out a soon to be retiree, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all of your great information even though it was back in 2011, it was very helpful.
+Quote Post
vincee
post Apr 1 2012, 10:13 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE(elkhntr4evr @ Apr 1 2012, 04:58 AM) *

I have not yet purchased an RV and am looking at buying a Diesel Pusher, so I appreciate everyones comments to the person that asked questions concerning Motorhomes to Travel trailers, and Fifth wheels. I plan on getting mine when I return from Afghanistan within a few months. I have about two more years until I retire, and love being in the outdoors, and traveling. I love to drive. I am coming back to Fort Hood, TX so if anyone knows of any good deals there and they don't mind helping out a soon to be retiree, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all of your great information even though it was back in 2011, it was very helpful.

First off, Thank You for your service. My son served 3 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan with the Rangers.

When comparing type of RV to get into, the one basic premise is that you will be towing something. Pick up towing a trailer or fifth wheel, motor home, either class C or A eventually you will be towing either a car on a dolly or flat towing a car behind you. If you are a pick up type of guy then the fifth wheel will give you by far the most room and floor plan options. Trailers are more econimiacal, but I have seen some that are as nice as fancy class A motor homes. I prefer the class A motor home {bus type) because of the convenience of having your living space with you as you go down the road. Need to go the the bathroom while on the highway, just pull over and use yours. Want a snack to a full cooked meal while traveling, the kitchen is right there. Pull into a campground after dark, just back in, plug in your electric and hook up the water, set your auto leveling jacks on auto and in about 10 mins. your set for at least the evening. Shop around, get as much info from dealers and users and you will do fine. Good Luck with your deployment and future RV'ing!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com