RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Running Water Through A Garden Hose...., I think I need to resanitize my tank....
chowhound
post Oct 31 2011, 11:12 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41909

laugh.gif
QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Oct 26 2011, 03:50 PM) *

Almost all city and well water systems are full of Dihydrogen Monoxide. Deadly stuff, inhale enough into your lungs, and it will quickly lead to a painful, agonizing death. the odds are great that that garden hose has been exposed to Dihydrogen Monoxide, be very very careful. rolleyes.gif

Some people, even drink it straight, I prefer to use a little scotch for sanitation.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JDRobar
post Nov 3 2011, 09:41 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 58073

Seems like ya'll been doing a lot of choppin, but I don't see no chips a flyin ! smile.gif

I have never, ah say I have never put water in my fresh water tank unless its gone thru my two stage filtering system. And even though i'm in a class B, I carry two hoses and the filter system everywhere. Yes, I could have other problems once the clean water is in there, but no worries about giardia or heavy metal stuff.

Having experienced giardia from backpacking once, I've decided all the belly-aching and six weeks worth of being a water jet is something to be avoided.

Now, I have close friends that swear city water and State Parks water is safe to use, but they always remind me of Paul Rever's ride...... a little light in the belfey. But, each to his/her own.

+Quote Post
Traveling man
post Nov 3 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33991

If you do not want to invest in a new hose, there are usually ones you can use to fill up on water at the dump stations---No don't try this! If there is any doubt I'd flush the tank.

I don't drink the park water either- some use city, some well, some river etc. For example, I asked the park ranger at the state park I just left about the water, and he said "it won't hurt you, but I sure wouldn't drink it or try to use it in coffee- it's very hard". I've had parks with rust coming out when the water is turned on, so like to check first. I'm sure much of the RV park water is good, but it's a small luxury to buy Spring water and know my drinking water tastes good.

I had the "rotten egg" water tank problem a couple years ago. I now add a small amount of chlorine bleach to the tank on a regular basis, and have not had further problems.
+Quote Post
Mojavian
post Nov 15 2011, 02:48 PM
Post #34

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 44436

To answer the original question, there is no problem filling a fresh water tank with a garden hose, assuming the fresh water supply is itself good. And in the US, the water is going to be fine just about everywhere. Municipal water systems will warn you if the water is unsafe to drink due to contamination, flooding, etc.

The problem with garden hoses comes in when the water is sitting in them under the hot sun for long periods of time. You can eliminate this as a factor by running fresh water through the hose for a minute. Then, taste it. Does it smell fine? Taste fine? Go ahead and fill the tank and don't worry about it.

BTW, I want to make clear that I am talking about a GARDEN hose, not the poopster-cleaner-outer hose. That NEVER touches any part of the fresh water system.

What you don't want to do is use a garden hose to hook up directly to your water supply. The things will leach chemicals when water stands in them under pressure for any extended period.

I know a lot of people will not drink city water under any circumstances, but it is a conviction I do not share and that fact hasn't caused me any misfortune during my first 60 years. I just guess I'm lucky.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com