Reply to this topicStart new topic
> KOA, Good or Bad?
Testudo
post Oct 25 2007, 05:24 PM
Post #91

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8819

Gee ! Is this topic _still_ going ?!?! (I wonder when the last time was that 'Cheryl' posted on it ???)

Campgrounds are like a box of choc-lates: You never know what you'll get (...at least not until you've checked in with RVPARKREVIEWS.COM !!!).

Back in 2005, I earned a _free_ KOA Gold Card membership (...that year was like 'Kamping On Acid' !!!). I'm no apologist for KOA and I've turned-tail and run away from KOAs such as those described by 'katt'...

They advertise HEAVILY about how "family friendly" and "quiet" their campground is, they advertise how "clean" they are, yet the bathrooms are filthy, their "families" are drunken jerks and the only time the drunks cannot be heard is when the train is drowning out all sound waves in human hearing range...

...I know KOAs can be Kind Of Annoying but, over the years, Kindnesses Often Appeared, at least, in my experience. I've met some really _nice_ people who owned, worked, or camped at KOAs. KOAs are nearly all owned by franchisees. It is not some sort of corporate plot, as such. The prices tend to run a little higher because there is the added cost of paying the _franchiser_. But, aside from that, they are like any other campground -- the downside is only limited by your imagination.

For people who want to know if KOA stands for "Keep On Accelerating", I would say: Don't worry about it. Just check one out while avoiding any preconceived notions. You might find that it works for you. Start every new endeavor with a negative mindset and the outcome will surely be self-prophesizing. It would be Kind Of Assinine to avoid something that might be helpful to you -- just because a few other people Keelover Of Apoplexy.

So take it from a Kleptomaniacal Old Aardvark ( ...huh !?!?!): Kick Out Accusers and Kibbitz Over America!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Butch
post Oct 25 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #92

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3801

Good Grief

--------------------
Butch & Kathy
and "Greta"
says, "me too !"
FMCA # F412606
+Quote Post
Cheryl
post Oct 26 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #93

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

Why do you care when or if I post on a thread, or were you referring to Cheryl Fuller?
+Quote Post
denbroncs
post Oct 27 2007, 08:08 AM
Post #94

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3334

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Oct 26 2007, 09:06 PM) *

Why do you care when or if I post on a thread, or were you referring to Cheryl Fuller?

I think he was frustrated in trying to figure out how to spell your name with a "K."
+Quote Post
sparky
post Oct 30 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #95

Member No.: 8350

KOA's as a whole to me are very tight to get into your site and manuvering out same thing
I have been in some--there is NO way to feel comfortable in,
I wish They-would listen to campers---as RV's get bigger-KOA's just don't cut it.
My Favorite is Wilmington, NC KOA , they have always treated me and my friends wonderfully
my 2 cents
sparky.

--------------------
sparky from Appomattox area of Virginia
1998 Bounder
tow Saturn wagon
Navy lifer
shellback
plank owner.
love to camp
+Quote Post
Testudo
post Nov 7 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #96

Advanced Member

Yeah, sorry, I was referring to 'Cheryl Fuller' (...although, I've often wondered if you 'both' weren't one and the same [shrug]).
+Quote Post
Testudo
post Nov 7 2007, 04:52 PM
Post #97

Advanced Member

KOA's as a whole to me are very tight to get into your site and manuvering out same thing ...as RV's get bigger-KOA's just don't cut it.

I can appreciate those feelings. Still, KOAs come and go from the system all the time. Every year I receive a questionaire from 'corporate' with regard to what is obviously a marginal campground in the system that is being considered for the 'ax'. But ironically, I actually like hard to get into camp grounds because I have a 20' pop-top truck camper so, then, I don't have to compete with the 'big boys' for space. Another irony is that my review ratings are weighted for the needs of people with 'big rigs' [grin!]. I mean, personally, I could care less about 99% of the gripes of big rig owners but, then, they dominate the 'sport' so it is one of the five 'points' that I try to cater to in my reviews.

Big rig owners can be hard to figure out. They'll castigate a campground in a review because the neighboring land owner has a tree on their property but they give a raving '10' to a campground where the entry road would qualify as a class 3 offroad trail [shrug]. There is just no pleasing them.
+Quote Post
Cheryl
post Nov 7 2007, 05:51 PM
Post #98

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

No, we are not one and the same. Although, we do have many things in common. Anyway, last I heard from her, she doesn't visit this site very much anymore.
+Quote Post
RLM
post Nov 7 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #99

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8584

IT IS OBVIOUS THAT KOA IS A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP AMONG THE REVIEWERS ON THIS WEBSITE GROUP.

I SUSPECT THAT NO ONE IS GOING TO CHANGE THEIR OPINION, SO CAN WE PLEASE MOVE ON TO OTHER ISSUES???

WEBMASTER, PLEASE PUT A MATCH TO THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
gilda
post Nov 7 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #100

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16004

deleted

+Quote Post
Testudo
post Nov 13 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #101

Advanced Member

I sympathise with you 'RLM' but I have to agree with 'Gilda'. KOA seems to attract so much negativity that it is only fair to give people the chance to discuss the reasons for it or to have the chance to disagree. There are too many new people coming along all the time to just make gross generalizations and expect them to put it into some kind of perspective.

I feel pressured to have a bad opinion of KOA by the RV community, in general, but I'm, in fact, indifferent. I just try to stick to RV parks that work for _me_. If they happen to be KOAs, I'm okay with that.
+Quote Post
hirschy
post Nov 17 2007, 05:05 PM
Post #102

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 17906

Well, I hope I will enjoy my upcoming trip.
I just found this site, AFTER reserving quite a few KOA sites for my Dec. trip.
I printed off plenty of review sheets smile.gif and will give feedback on each site I stay at.

So far at least, the sites I reserved from KAO all had decent reviews tongue.gif

Love this forum and will update when I get back in January cool.gif
+Quote Post
gwbischoff
post Nov 20 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #103

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13685

QUOTE(hirschy @ Nov 17 2007, 06:05 PM) *

So far at least, the sites I reserved from KAO all had decent reviews tongue.gif

Then you should be fine.

Treat them all as you would any other CG. Just because they are a "chain" doesn't mean that they're all identical.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759.
+Quote Post
leftyf
post Nov 25 2007, 04:06 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 17489

I've got KOA's that I rave about. I've got Good Sam Parks that I rave about. And soon, I'll be checking out some of the Escapee Parks, if Uncle Sam ever decides the rate of my war wounds. I've got private parks that I rave about.

I've also got KOAs and Good Sam Parks that were the best I've ever seen except for the people running them. Great park...horrible people. If I like a park, I'll stay there every chance I get. If I don't like a park, I'll sleep in a road side rest area before I give them any of my money.

You pays your money and you takes your chances...or you spend a lot of time on the internet.

--------------------
Lefty

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a pristine, well-preserved body,but
rather to skid in sideways, totally used up
and worn out, shouting Holy Sh**...what a ride!!
+Quote Post
gwbischoff
post Feb 14 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #105

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13685

While I know that I'm running the risk of starting up the "For or Against KOA Jihad" again, I assure you that this is just for informational purposes for those who are interested:

http://koa.com/valuekard/vkrewards.htm

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759.
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com