14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> KOA, Good or Bad?
partyof5
post May 13 2005, 02:53 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 321

We have stayed at a few KOA's and some were good and some not. I don't think you can group them all together. It really depends on the mangement, like any other campground. I don't really find them over priced.....I have been finding a lot of campgrounds are raising their rates.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmnava
post May 17 2005, 09:49 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 2305

If you get a chance...stop at the KOA in Carlsbad, New Mexico. Nice layout, friendly owners, and a deliver-it-to-your site chuckwagon.
+Quote Post
buddybleau
post May 21 2005, 05:21 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2966

If you're just going to be there overnight, why not just find a Wal-Mart? If you buy a Rand McNally Road Atlas at Wal-Mart, it has all of the Wal-Mart lots that invite you to stay overnite for nothing. And just think, the wife get's to shop. What a deal.
When it come's to KOA, some are good and some are bad, but they all suck.
Just my opinion.

--------------------
Entertaining at campgrounds
+Quote Post
TheHabu
post Jun 19 2005, 09:22 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 3252

I'm just getting started as an RVer too. I've stayed at 2 different KOAs and both seemed consistently predictable - clean restrooms & clean showers. The sites seem small but have been adequate to my needs. The staff at both sites were friendly and helpful to this newbie. I stayed at a National Forest campground a week ago... no services other than a restroom and some water down the street. I was spoiled on my KOA experiences... I wanted a shorter walk to the toilet, a shower, and some staff assistance when needed. The NF campground was very shady, private, large site, and quiet, almost spooky. I hardly ever saw anyone walking around - at least anyone as friendly as you do at a KOA. So far, I'm satisfied with KOA until I see/experience something negative. dry.gif
+Quote Post
Beastdriver
post Jun 19 2005, 10:52 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 408

KOAs are just like any other chain of campgrounds--some are good, some are mediocre, and some are bad. I have noticed, however, many KOAs that are improving their facilities, cleaning up, and so forth. Your best best has been, and continues to be, checking this site for the experience of others. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
skippy
post Jun 22 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 188

We've stayed at a couple of KOA's and I think what's been said in previous posts is generally true--some are good, some are not. We found a nice one in Hot Springs SD--management helped us a lot when we stayed there recently since we had some propane problems. The CG itself was very nice as well--but what most folks will say about KOA's is that the sites are really close together (KOA=Keep On Adding).

I've been a little disappointed in Woodall's and Good Sam park reccomendations, and have found that the very BEST site for reviews is this one! Again, because the reviews are written from a camper/rver perspective. I always check this site out first before making any reservation decisions. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Cheryl Fuller
post Jun 24 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3340

Like most, I find KOA's to be generally over-priced. All that we have stayed at, have either been right alongside a busy highway or next to a train track so always very noisy at night. The nicest one we have stayed at was in Colorado Springs, CO. Had hayrides, bicycle rentals and a very nice store. As a rule, the stores at KOA's offer a greater variety than most campgrounds. We usually look for something else in the area, staying at KOA only as a last resort. Even with the discount card, they are higher than most campgrounds. If someone would come up with a nice chain of parks that you could stay at with full hook-ups for around $20, they would probably make a fortune.

--------------------
Cheryl
+Quote Post
Navigator64
post Jun 25 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 3347

We stayed at 21 different KOA's on a cross country trip last fall. They are very much a mixed bag. Some were great and I'd go back there again. Some were terrible. The Mt Rushmore one mentioned was very nice as was the one outside of the Mall of America in Woodbury. So was the one north of Carlsbad Caverns. I would NOT recommend the one between Bryce and Zion NP. Lousy sites, facilities and unfriendly staff. I'd check a Woodall's or this site for specific campground reviews. We have the 15% discount which helps with the price. KOA's seem to have become just places to give you access to nearby attractions and less of a place for a real camping experience IMO.
+Quote Post
genestoy
post Jun 25 2005, 12:11 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 2973

Navigator64,
Could you elaborate a little more on the KOA "between Bryce & Zion"? Is that the one in Glendale? There are only 4 KOA's in the area and we will be in that area next month. smile.gif
Thanks - Gene
+Quote Post
michaelforce
post Jun 25 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 3350

Thanks to everyone who created this site and to those who spend their time reviewing and passing information along to those of us who really expect to have a great camping experience everytime we go.

We had a "night and day" experience with KOA's in Michigan....Petoskey was incredible but Newberry (UP) was poor. The costs were the same..we won't be going back to Newberry again.

This site will help us pick the best....my thanks to you all! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
rz8425
post Jun 27 2005, 11:37 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 3375

We agree that there's some good and some bad KOA's (Just like other camping sites). We have stayed at the Mt. Rushmore KOA and found that for cable TV, the daily $10 extra was a bit much for the few channels offered. Since, we installed Satilite! Having just retrned from the Cape Hatteras KOA, we weren't impressed with the non-existant WiFi (HotSpotzz) support and low voltage. The 50amp units get power first before it's trickled down to the 30amp sites. However, both CG's where extremely hospitable. I'd check here first before I frequented any CG, as Woodalls and Trailer Life reviews aren't always accurate or forthright. I know of one CG operator that was presured to purchase an item is they wished a higher evaluation.
+Quote Post
Navigator64
post Jun 27 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 3347

Yep, it was the Glendale one. Skip it. Lousy sites and unavailable staff. When we pulled in there was nobody around and when she did show up it was like we were inconveniencing her.
+Quote Post
denbroncs
post Jun 29 2005, 07:46 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3334

Like private campgrounds, KOA's can be good and bad - but to paint the whole system with a brush is silly. We've noticed a trend over past few years with KOA to "filter" the bad places out of the system - and that overall KOA's are pretty good places to camp. wink.gif
+Quote Post
jim1632
post Jun 29 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 3425

My wife likes to make reservations and we have relied on KOA in the past. However, I have told her that we will no longer reserve at a KOA without an initial inspection. We were tent campers at first and used the KOAs every 3 days or so to have showers. Now the KOA system has become very unreliable - and still prices above the alternatives - so I prefer that we seek any alterative first.

In fact, some of the campgrounds that we have enjoyed were probably KOAs in the past because they had the traditional A-frame KOA building.

I just started on this review forum and intend to submit and refer to the rankings before making any plans for a campground.
+Quote Post
Cheryl
post Jun 29 2005, 01:50 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

I just started on this review forum and intend to submit and refer to the rankings before making any plans for a campground.

Smart move, oh yeah, welcome to the forum. laugh.gif
+Quote Post

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com