RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Brains In Washington Have Done It Again, TV Converter Box Coupons Expire Right Away
Beastdriver
post Mar 18 2008, 06:32 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 408

By now, I should not be surprised at the stupidity often exhibited by Washington, but I am. Today, I received in the mail the government "coupons" good for $40 off TV converter boxes to be used when the nation switches over to digital TV next year. Remember, we have until mid-February to install these boxes on our older motorhomes but, when I looked at the coupons, I note they expire in 90 days and are not good for the months that follow. We are leaving in a few days on a seven-month trip and it is not convenient for me to put the motorhome in the shop for the upgrade, but the wizards of Washington didn't even consider this. I'll toss the coupons and install the converter when I am ready. Can somebody explain to me why our government issued coupons to convert prior to the switchover deadline in mid-February, but made the coupons worthless fully EIGHT MONTHS before the changeover? Wonders never cease!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Big Ben
post Mar 18 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1914

You will probably be more upset when you find out that I agree with you on the idiots in Washington. I too was surprized that we actually had a common ground. Please don't take it to hard. wink.gif
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Mar 18 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16651

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Mar 18 2008, 05:32 PM) *

By now, I should not be surprised at the stupidity often exhibited by Washington, but I am. Today, I received in the mail the government "coupons" good for $40 off TV converter boxes to be used when the nation switches over to digital TV next year. Remember, we have until mid-February to install these boxes on our older motorhomes but, when I looked at the coupons, I note they expire in 90 days and are not good for the months that follow. We are leaving in a few days on a seven-month trip and it is not convenient for me to put the motorhome in the shop for the upgrade, but the wizards of Washington didn't even consider this. I'll toss the coupons and install the converter when I am ready. Can somebody explain to me why our government issued coupons to convert prior to the switchover deadline in mid-February, but made the coupons worthless fully EIGHT MONTHS before the changeover? Wonders never cease!

What do you mean..... "put the motorhome in the shop for the upgrade????" I don't have my coupon yet. I figured the converter box was just a box with cables that I could install myself! Why would we have to put our motorhomes in the shop to have the converter box installed? Am I making an incorrect assumption here?

Couldn't you take your coupon with you and buy the box on your way somewhere?

JJ

--------------------
JJ from Pacific Northwest

Check out my blog on TOADLESS RVing!
http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me some suggestions.
+Quote Post
Beastdriver
post Mar 19 2008, 08:26 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

To Ben: Actually, I agree with you more than I disagree. You would be surprised, too.

JJ: You don't know me, but I can't sharpen a pencil without screwing it up. When I look at all the wires, connections, plugs, etc., on our tv/sound sytem, there is no way I am going to try to put in a converter box, not to mention I have no idea where it goes. Perhaps you will have better luck!
+Quote Post
gsbogart
post Mar 19 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5114

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Mar 19 2008, 10:26 AM) *

To Ben: Actually, I agree with you more than I disagree. You would be surprised, too.

JJ: You don't know me, but I can't sharpen a pencil without screwing it up. When I look at all the wires, connections, plugs, etc., on our tv/sound sytem, there is no way I am going to try to put in a converter box, not to mention I have no idea where it goes. Perhaps you will have better luck!

Beastdiver

Your statement in II really sums up in a more descript and succinct way than I would have ever been able to articulate, regarding some of your previous comments in this forum. But..... what can I say....You said it all.
+Quote Post
denbroncs
post Mar 19 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3334

I already have one of these & they are not a big deal. Basically, it goes between your antenna and your TV. If you can hook up a VCR, you can do this. If you struggle with the VCR, then head for the shop. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Beastdriver
post Mar 19 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

gsbogart: Thanks for the compliment. By the way, have you ever had a single post without a mispelled word? Its Beastdriver, Botart.

denbroncs: Thanks for the advice. I'll try it.
+Quote Post
RLM
post Mar 19 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8584

I suspect that everyone, except the worst of the liberals, knows that our policy makers couldnít find their butts with both hands in broad daylight.

It normally would be a simple installation, but keeps in mind that also having a satellite receiver, VCR, DVD player, or surround system in line with the TV will make it a bit more complicated. In addition, if there is a switching control box for different TVs in the rig, then it will also be a little less simple.

Iíve wanted to replace the boat anchor TV in the rig with a flat screen for some time. Iím going to put the converter box money into one of those. By the time anyone paid a shop bill plus the cost of a box, you could buy the newer TV.

Do we need to call the Kindergarten Cops? laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Ed Mac
post Mar 19 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #9

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 19613

Gee, I remember when I first started camping way back in the late 50's. No million dollar movie star coaches. No one knew what a fifth wheeler was. A tow behind tent camper was the best of the best. No cell phones, no satellites (never mind satellite dishes) and you were lucky if your "C" cell battery powered radio lasted all day. DVD players and VCRs? Cable hook ups and WiFi? Gray water tanks and black water tanks? People respecting each other and each other's camp site? People cleaning up after themselves and their dogs and children? No loud, blaring radios and boom boxes, and partying well after the posted quiet time. Profanity! Booze! Maybe I'm just an old fashioned ground camper and Liberal purest, but, from what I've seen and continue to see while out and about, leads me to believe that all the idiots are not in Washington. Happy trails!
+Quote Post
denbroncs
post Mar 20 2008, 08:11 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Gee, I remember when I first started camping way back in the late 50's. No million dollar movie star coaches. No one knew what a fifth wheeler was

The irony is that it is not uncommon to see a camper that is irate because there are "too many trees" and he cannot get his satellite to function. Camping now means something different to almost everyone.
Me? Camping is being in an area that has so many trees that I would not even consider bringing a satellite dish. My wife would prefer the coach was without a TV - but cmon, it's March Madness!! laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Beastdriver
post Mar 20 2008, 08:28 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

One of the beauties of RV'ing is that there are as many opinions, likes, dislikes, preferences, and attitudes as there are people. Somehow, we all get along and, for the most part, respect each other's space. It's a huge country with vast spaces and widely diverse camping opportunities. There is a place for everyone.
+Quote Post
Butch
post Mar 20 2008, 08:47 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3801

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Mar 20 2008, 09:28 AM) *

One of the beauties of RV'ing is that there are as many opinions, likes, dislikes, preferences, and attitudes as there are people. Somehow, we all get along and, for the most part, respect each other's space. It's a huge country with vast spaces and widely diverse camping opportunities. There is a place for everyone.

Everyone ????? Even Jerry ?????????

A reply to the subject of the time limit on the converter coupons:
Maybe it's one of Washingtons' answers to stimulate the declining economy......
One never knows how or what those in Washington are thinking.......

--------------------
Butch & Kathy
and "Greta"
says, "me too !"
FMCA # F412606
+Quote Post
Beastdriver
post Mar 20 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Butch: Ha! Ha! Yes, even for Jerry. He means well, I'm sure, but his pomposity is a bit difficult to take sometimes.

And you give too much credit to Washington for thinking, something that is apparently alien to those bureaucrats.
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Mar 20 2008, 10:44 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16651

QUOTE(denbroncs @ Mar 19 2008, 10:11 AM) *

I already have one of these & they are not a big deal. Basically, it goes between your antenna and your TV. If you can hook up a VCR, you can do this. If you struggle with the VCR, then head for the shop. biggrin.gif

Debroncs, does it allow you to get the channels you can't on an analog? I do subscribe to cable, and supposedly, if you subscribe to cable, you aren't supposed to need a converter. Well, I disagree with that statement. Why? Because, at home, I have both an analog and digital TV. Recently, when my cable company sent out a statement saying that more digital channels were available, I rescanned the digital, and I got three extra channels (in addition to a gazillion audio channels), but I cannot get these channels on my analog. That's why I'm getting a tuner, to see if it will give me at least the three extra channels. I can do without the audio channels.

JJ

QUOTE(denbroncs @ Mar 20 2008, 07:11 AM) *

The irony is that it is not uncommon to see a camper that is irate because there are "too many trees" and he cannot get his satellite to function. Camping now means something different to almost everyone.
Me? Camping is being in an area that has so many trees that I would not even consider bringing a satellite dish. My wife would prefer the coach was without a TV - but cmon, it's March Madness!! laugh.gif

I guess I look at it as.... the reason for RV'ing is to see stuff. If your TV doesn't work because there are too many trees in the way, oh well, take it in stride. The RV is merely a shelter over your head. Ok, I do love to watch TV, but not to the point where I GOTTA have a satellite.... On the other hand, if I were to get into camp hosting, then maybe we would be talking satellite....

JJ

--------------------
JJ from Pacific Northwest

Check out my blog on TOADLESS RVing!
http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me some suggestions.
+Quote Post
denbroncs
post Mar 20 2008, 03:27 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Debroncs, does it allow you to get the channels you can't on an analog? I do subscribe to cable, and supposedly, if you subscribe to cable, you aren't supposed to need a converter.

If you have cable, you may or may not get HD channels that are currently available over the air for free. I have the DISH and I do not get any local channel in HD - but I can receive a HD signal over the air (for free) with a converter or a simple HD antenna. For example, channel 6 is abc; 6.1 is 24 weather; 6.2 is 24 hour live doppler radar - those channels are not offered with cable. The only advantage of cable are the cable channels, i.e. ESPN, CNN, etc.

Please take note that if you have a HD television and an antenna that picks up a HD signal, you will not need a converter. If you do not have an HD television, a HD antenna or converter will allow you to tune into HD channels although they would not actually be in HD.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com