Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Are Your Pet Peeves Rv'ing?
Lindsay Richards
post Sep 4 2012, 12:13 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4762

In our area, many stations do a discount of about 4 cents or so for cash. If you want the discount, you have to go in first and give them say $75 and they set the pump to stop at that.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
joez
post Sep 4 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19489

I would never think to move my vehicle before paying. To me that would be like walking out of a store without paying for merchandise. Wouldn't you run the risk of being accused of theft.

It is normally considered extremely bad behavior when using truck diesel fuel lanes to not pull forward after fueling to allow the vehicle behind you access while you finish your transaction. Even at RV pumps like at Flying J rvs could pull forward instead of leaving their vehicle sit while they are inside buying candy bars and sodas.
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post Sep 4 2012, 07:54 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14080

QUOTE(joez @ Sep 4 2012, 07:24 PM) *

It is normally considered extremely bad behavior when using truck diesel fuel lanes to not pull forward after fueling to allow the vehicle behind you access while you finish your transaction. Even at RV pumps like at Flying J rvs could pull forward instead of leaving their vehicle sit while they are inside buying candy bars and sodas.

At truck stops it is not only bad behavior but the management expects you to move forward. It takes time to do some of those transactions and the line for fuel could really back up if you didn't pull up so the next truck could get started.

rkw, you don't go park, you just pull forward far enough so that the RV/truck behind you can get started with their fill up.
+Quote Post
vincee
post Sep 5 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 36179

Of my three peeves I listed, I must confess to having a fourth, campgrounds that charge to dump your tanks. Add it to the cost of camping and spread it out to all of the CG's campers and the increase would only be a buck or so more.
+Quote Post
TranQuilguy
post Sep 6 2012, 09:28 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 68597

QUOTE(vincee @ Sep 5 2012, 03:50 PM) *

Of my three peeves I listed, I must confess to having a fourth, campgrounds that charge to dump your tanks. Add it to the cost of camping and spread it out to all of the CG's campers and the increase would only be a buck or so more.

ohmy.gif Help me understand please ,you are saying the camp ground charges more to dump ?Or are you saying driving up to a RV park and asking to dump your tanks should be free?

I agree with the first 3 mad.gif
+Quote Post
GandJ
post Sep 6 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 64530

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Sep 4 2012, 12:13 PM) *

In our area, many stations do a discount of about 4 cents or so for cash. If you want the discount, you have to go in first and give them say $75 and they set the pump to stop at that.

Yes, we always pull ahead before going inside, if there is space to safely do so. But....

A friend did a cash pre-pay and didn't reach the amount the fuel station required him to leave at the desk - $75. After filling, he pulled ahead so the next person could start their transaction.

The fuel attendant told him that because the pump had been re-set by the person
he pulled ahead for, he wasn't due change as he couldn't prove he didn't put the
entire $75 in the tank.

It was only a few dollars, but still..... an expensive cash discount.

When a person goes inside without pulling forward, you really don't know if they've gone in to buy sodas, get their change or get help because the pump malfunctioned and they need a receipt in order to get reimbursed by their company.

--------------------
It's always the batteries!
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Sep 6 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

QUOTE(GandJ @ Sep 6 2012, 02:54 PM) *

The fuel attendant told him that because the pump had been re-set by the person
he pulled ahead for, he wasn't due change as he couldn't prove he didn't put the
entire $75 in the tank.

Maybe not all gas stations are set up the same way, but there have been several times when the attendant has called up our amount even it if was 2-3 transactions back. I would bet the attendant didnít know how to do it, or he/she was being dishonest.
+Quote Post
MaineDon
post Sep 6 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10707

Although I posted earlier on this thread, can I add another pet peeve? Hope so. Those horrible, RV- user unfriendly, gas stations, with pumps positioned to the building/parking spaces so that your need a "wing-and-a-prayer" to get out under the best of circumstances, or you need to wait, wait, wait wait, wait....for the cars who are blocking your exit to leave, allowing you to finally do the same. Who designs some of these places? Yes, we can back up....but only when others are not lined up behind waiting to fill up. Bad experiences for us here on the the Trans Canada (northern route), central/southern NM, and coming off very remote Cape Breton Island. In each case, we were Thankful to just find a place to fill up; but not in love with the gas station layout for handling anything but an individual car.
+Quote Post
FosterImposters
post Sep 6 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17719

QUOTE(MaineDon @ Sep 6 2012, 03:13 PM) *

Although I posted earlier on this thread, can I add another pet peeve? Hope so. Those horrible, RV- user unfriendly, gas stations...

A big AMEN to that one!
cool.gif
+Quote Post
KentuckyCampin
post Sep 8 2012, 07:58 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 29148

Wow, lots of pet peeves, and I share the majority of them too!!!! LOL
My top 3 though:
1. Barking dogs
2. People who pitch a tent on your campsite - We have had this happen a few times now. mostly with campers who have 3 or 4 tents on their site and dont have enough room. I have had to ask 2 of them to move off site. Camp etiquette is not understood by all, and if you dont have enough room, then go purchase another site. Dont just figure it is ok to put your tent on my site! Unless of course you will reimburse me for half of the price!
3. People speeding through campgrounds.

--------------------
The Bakers
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2011 Jayco Jayflight swift 264BH

Camping, its not a hobby, its a way of life!!
+Quote Post
GandJ
post Sep 9 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Member No.: 64530

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Sep 6 2012, 03:50 PM) *

... I would bet the attendant didnít know how to do it, or he/she was being dishonest.

We were thinking the attendant was giving himself a nice pay raise and wondered if he did this only to people with Canadian license plates, like our friend. Sad, if true.

--------------------
It's always the batteries!
+Quote Post
mdcamping
post Sep 11 2012, 08:05 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14145

QUOTE(MaineDon @ Sep 6 2012, 03:13 PM) *

Although I posted earlier on this thread, can I add another pet peeve? Hope so. Those horrible, RV- user unfriendly, gas stations...

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Sep 6 2012, 06:38 PM) *

A big AMEN to that one!
cool.gif

X3
Mike
+Quote Post
Tom
post Sep 12 2012, 06:50 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1770

Threads like this are fun to read. Besides all the peeves already listed: We hate arriving to find garbage in the fire pit. Seems some people just assume that the next campers will enjoy burning their garbage. Well, we DON'T!

Cigarette butts --- I know it has already been mentioned. I used to smoke a lot, and I always, ALWAYS threw away my butts in the appropriate container. Why do smokers think nothing of flicking their butts on the ground?

Dumping grey water on the site. Few things are so wonderful as pulling up to a campsite and when walking around it to figure out where to pull in, stepping in a nice, soapy mushy spot - where obviously the previous campers drained their grey water tank. Wonderful.

Dogs left alone in campers. What makes people think their dog enjoys being locked in a camper for hours during the day? And YES, your dog barks when you are gone!! I don't understand people who treat their pets like that. When we camped with our dog, we planned either to stay at the camper with her or bring her along on our day trips.

--------------------
2008 F-250 5.4L CrewCab
2004 21' Forest River Surveyor TT
+Quote Post
Andrea Silkman
post Sep 12 2012, 10:28 AM
Post #44

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 74328

QUOTE(vincee @ Aug 14 2012, 03:06 PM) *

Three peeves, 1 Barking dogs, 2 Large family groups at several adjoining campsites 3 People driving on cruise control in the left lane oblivious to all traffic around them.

Large family groups as a pet peeve? Friends and family enjoying the great outdoors together should be encouraged in my eyes, I don't think people do it enough..... and yes, I do it often. We have had some of our best vacations camping as a group (as a child and now as an adult). Family values that were passed on to me from my parents, and I'm now passing them down to my children.

They paid for their sites, does it really matter if they know each other or not?
+Quote Post
Lindsay Richards
post Sep 12 2012, 10:42 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

My biggest pet peeve is my wife nagging me about every six months to wash the RV. Don't worry, I'll get to it eventually.

--------------------
+Quote Post

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com