Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Driving The Rv At Night
mdcamping
post Sep 20 2014, 09:06 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 14145

Well I did it again. We got a late start to a campground that I thought would be 1 1/2 hrs turned into much longer. So again I pulled into a campground with no daylight. Found it Very tough to navigate through the campground, got lost, we made several loops before finding our site. Very stressful. The good news we had a pull through which helped out a lot.
Did I say I wasn't going to do this again... rolleyes.gif

Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NYDutch
post Sep 20 2014, 09:39 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 35147

After having cataract surgery earlier this year, my night vision has improved considerably. I'm sure it's still not what it was 50 years ago when I was 21, but it's nice to be able to drive much more safely at night when necessary.

--------------------
Dutch
Somewhere in the US or Canada
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post Sep 21 2014, 08:07 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26175

I don't think I ever drove pulling at night. I am 74 and my night vision has diminished but I can still see.

When we traveled full time we would leave the Park around 10 am after having breakfast and my getting all the stuff disconnected and stowed. Then lunch around 11 to noon. We would stop for the evening around 3 to 4 pm so I could get hooked up to the utilities and get the satellite dish up. Then dinner around 5 and walk the cats if they wanted to go out and watch tv for the evening. This involved only going about 150 miles a day.

--------------------
We are now off the road but this is what we fulltimed in.
2003 Ford F-350
2003 Keystone Everest 343L
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post
GaryWT
post Sep 21 2014, 11:05 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 480

Hey Mike, I don't mind driving at night unless it is raining but I do like to at least be in the site before dark although this time of year it can be hard to do. We took Friday off this week so we can set up for vacation in daylight, last year it was dark and setting up for the week could have gone better.
+Quote Post
mdcamping
post Sep 21 2014, 02:10 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Ouounfo,,te name='GaryWT' date='Sep 21 2014, 01:05 PM' post='38391']
Hey Mike, I don't mind driving at night unless it is raining but I do like to at least be in the site before dark although this time of year it can be hard to do. We took Friday off this week so we can set up for vacation in daylight, last year it was dark and setting up for the week could have gone better.
[/quote]
Gary, the only good part was we just got both our phones upgraded so we had our Google navigation to help us get to the campground, it was a good thing too. rte 108 going to the campground was all sharp turns and intersections.

Mike
+Quote Post
Luvtheroad
post Sep 21 2014, 11:20 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45805

When I had my cataracts done last year, my night vision actually got worse instead of better. That has put the kibosh to any night driving except in very familiar circumstances.

And for me personally, I'd like to see those halogen headlights banned. Having one come at me is actually painful to me.....feels like someone is sticking a pin in my eye.
+Quote Post
mdcamping
post Sep 22 2014, 07:29 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Luvtheroad @ Sep 22 2014, 01:20 AM) *

And for me personally, I'd like to see those halogen headlights banned. Having one come at me is actually painful to me.....feels like someone is sticking a pin in my eye.

Yup, had one follow behind me while driving to the campground. .. Very annoying seeing those lights in my side mirrors. ...

Mike
+Quote Post
Janet H
post Sep 23 2014, 05:52 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 82945

QUOTE(Luvtheroad @ Sep 21 2014, 10:20 PM) *

I'm on the fence about those halogens.. I agree they are painful to look at in oncoming traffic but they are really a big improvement on the darkest nights on unlit roads.
+Quote Post
docj
post Sep 23 2014, 07:21 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

QUOTE(Janet H @ Sep 23 2014, 07:52 PM) *

I'm on the fence about those halogens.. I agree they are painful to look at in oncoming traffic but they are really a big improvement on the darkest nights on unlit roads.

Actually, I think the lights you all are referring to are high intensity discharge (HID) xenon lamps, not halogens. Almost all incandescent auto bulbs have been halogens for many years. HIDs do provide far better illumination. However, some of the ones you are objecting to are not HIDs but are illegally installed aftermarket light bulbs that have similar color.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
+Quote Post
Janet H
post Sep 26 2014, 03:31 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 82945

QUOTE(docj @ Sep 23 2014, 06:21 PM) *

However, some of the ones you are objecting to are not HIDs but are illegally installed aftermarket light bulbs that have similar color.

You are likely right. And while we're ranting.... another pet peeve is folks towing with misaligned headlights due to improper hitch set up. Lights pointing up don;t light the road and blind others....jus' sayin' wink.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com