RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is It Ok To Charge For Wifi, Should Campgrounds charge for Internet access?
Should Campgrounds Charge for WiFi?
Campground WiFi should:
be Free to entice more campers to the c/g [ 295 ] ** [77.63%]
be Free in the more "deluxe" sites [ 23 ] ** [6.05%]
be charged for on a per usage basis (recieve an access code at check in if paid for) [ 42 ] ** [11.05%]
be Charged for by an outside agency when loggin on [ 8 ] ** [2.11%]
not be a part of the camping experience (leave your technology at home) [ 12 ] ** [3.16%]
Total Votes: 380
Guests cannot vote 
pianotuna
post Nov 25 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #91

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10403

Hi,

Look at cradlepoint routers:

http://www.cradlepoint.com/index.php

Good luck!

QUOTE(drmcleod @ Nov 24 2008, 12:46 PM) *

As posted earlier, I use the Verizon Network. I pay $45/mo for unlimited usage. The drawback for me is that the connection is software based which means I have to have an application loaded on my computer to connect. I can therefor, only use one computer per connection. Does anyone use Verizon and a wireless mobile router like the one mentioned in the above quote? That router is for Sprint only. Any suggestions would be great and I would DEFINITELY allow my fellow neighboring campers to access my connection. Wouldn't cost me any more.

--------------------
Regards,

Don
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
westernrvparkowner
post Nov 26 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #92

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25946

Just a minor note, if you use a wireless router in your coach, you may be broadcasting on the same frequency as the campground WiFi system and coaches near yours may be prevented by the interference from using the campground system. It is similar to a walkie talkie if there are several people on the same channel, it doesn't really work for anyone. Be aware there are only 12 channels available for wifi transmission, and only 3 are recommended for hotspot usage. It is very common to have multiple routers in the campground all transmitting on the same frequency. When this happens, we often find no one has acceptable service.
+Quote Post
FosterImposters
post Nov 26 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #93

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17719

Well, well...that explains a couple snafus we've seen. ohmy.gif
+Quote Post
BootStrap
post Nov 29 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #94

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 27617

I have stayed at parks with free Wifi and horrible service. The one park I paid for, 3 bucks for a 24 hour period, had a very strong connection. I would prefer free, but if paying means you get an outstanding connection then I would pay a few bucks.
+Quote Post
pianotuna
post Nov 29 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #95

Advanced Member

Hi Western,

Well why not change your campground wife to do Channel 1 and/or Channel 12. Most of your visitors will have defaulted to Channel 6.

QUOTE(westernrvparkowner @ Nov 26 2008, 03:17 PM) *

Just a minor note, if you use a wireless router in your coach, you may be broadcasting on the same frequency as the campground WiFi system and coaches near yours may be prevented by the interference from using the campground system. It is similar to a walkie talkie if there are several people on the same channel, it doesn't really work for anyone. Be aware there are only 12 channels available for wifi transmission, and only 3 are recommended for hotspot usage. It is very common to have multiple routers in the campground all transmitting on the same frequency. When this happens, we often find no one has acceptable service.

--------------------
Regards,

Don
+Quote Post
westernrvparkowner
post Nov 30 2008, 01:08 AM
Post #96

Advanced Member

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Nov 29 2008, 11:40 PM) *

Hi Western,

Well why not change your campground wife to do Channel 1 and/or Channel 12. Most of your visitors will have defaulted to Channel 6.

Actually, we run a site survey weekly and change to an unused channel. That doesn't prevent a coach from coming in a running a router broadcasting on the channel we just changed to. Changing a channel takes about 30 minutes, I have to reroute cabling from the router to a laptop, sign in, run a site survey, make any changes, confirm the changes, reboot the access point, reconnect everything, reboot the system etc. During this time, the system must be down. Almost without fail, someone will complain about the system being down while this is being done. I could get up at 3AM, but with my luck someone would still be on the system and lose some 10 gigabit movie download or I will mess up their Swiss Banking transactions or whatever. I did a site survey before responding to this post. I am closed for the season, There are 8 channels being used in my area without any RVs in the park. Some are over 2 miles away, but still are broadcasting a fairly strong signal into the park. I mention all this to re-iterate how much time WiFi takes up. Those thirty minutes a week over a 24 week season means I spend a day and a half just changing channels. It adds up.
+Quote Post
pianotuna
post Nov 30 2008, 02:41 AM
Post #97

Advanced Member

Hi Western,

Why not run the site survey before hand using something like an Alfa 500? That would possibly obviate the need to change the channel. I don't understand why the cabling must be rerouted, for it is quite possible to log in wirelessly, but if it must be a wired connection leaving an ethernet cable connected at the router ready to plug into the laptop would change rerouting into a task of not more than a few seconds.

QUOTE(westernrvparkowner @ Nov 30 2008, 01:08 AM) *

Actually, we run a site survey weekly and change to an unused channel. That doesn't prevent a coach from coming in a running a router broadcasting on the channel we just changed to. Changing a channel takes about 30 minutes, I have to reroute cabling from the router to a laptop, sign in, run a site survey, make any changes, confirm the changes, reboot the access point, reconnect everything, reboot the system etc. During this time, the system must be down. Almost without fail, someone will complain about the system being down while this is being done. I could get up at 3AM, but with my luck someone would still be on the system and lose some 10 gigabit movie download or I will mess up their Swiss Banking transactions or whatever. I did a site survey before responding to this post. I am closed for the season, There are 8 channels being used in my area without any RVs in the park. Some are over 2 miles away, but still are broadcasting a fairly strong signal into the park. I mention all this to re-iterate how much time WiFi takes up. Those thirty minutes a week over a 24 week season means I spend a day and a half just changing channels. It adds up.

--------------------
Regards,

Don
+Quote Post
westernrvparkowner
post Nov 30 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #98

Advanced Member

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Nov 30 2008, 03:41 AM) *

Hi Western,

Why not run the site survey before hand using something like an Alfa 500? That would possibly obviate the need to change the channel. I don't understand why the cabling must be rerouted, for it is quite possible to log in wirelessly, but if it must be a wired connection leaving an ethernet cable connected at the router ready to plug into the laptop would change rerouting into a task of not more than a few seconds.

I am changing the channel on the Access Points. They must be accessed directly over the ethernet cable, not through the router and the router must be disconnected. Why I don't know, but then again, I didn't make the equipment. Truth be known, it is probably the same reason you shouldn't use your cell phone at a gas station. There is probably a theoretical reason, but I haven't seen that many exploded gas stations across the country. I don't have a remote site survey device. I use the Access point. Might be a good investment, never thought about it. Thanks
+Quote Post
HappiestCamper
post Dec 3 2008, 11:01 AM
Post #99

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15651

Buy about 10 cheap used laptops. Advertise that free wi-fi may be available, guaranteed wi-fi $10/month with $500 refundable deposit. Configure all the laptops the same, locked down so they automatically login and connect to wi-fi, and only have a browser available. If someone really needs the internet and can't connect their's, they rent one of yours - then you pray they forget to return them for the deposit wink.gif
+Quote Post
Pinegrove1
post Jan 9 2009, 04:45 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 28294

Hello, we just installed satellite Wifi system in our park 2 summers ago. It is amazing how many people use it!. We don't charge extra for it, nor did we up our rates because of it. We are a very Natural R.V. Park, and we find that it is an incentive for people to stop and give us a try. We went for the top of the line, and our entire 8 acres receives the wireless signal, and we are heavily treed also. People are really impressed that they don't have to come up close to the building to receive the signal, but are able to stay in their R.V.
Before we bought this park, we used to camp alot too, so we know the expectations of our customers.
Martina, McLure B.C.
+Quote Post
John Blue
post Jan 17 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #101

Advanced Member

Member No.: 214

Do you find that sat systems are very slow and run about same speed as a dial up phone line? We never found one that works well at all and we will not pay if speed is slow but in your case it is free. Number of parks have removed the sat system and moved over to DSL due to problems. We see sat system at COE park deep in the woods and camp workers hate it. Do you find it works well?

--------------------
John
Brandon, Fl.
FMCA F-248693
Foretravel MH
Honda CRV tow
+Quote Post
Tikijenn
post Mar 14 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #102

Member No.: 29450

I agree that it should be 'free' or included in the rate whether I use it or not. It's not that expensive for the c/g to provide and even if they increased their overall rates by a couple of dollars to offset the cost it is still worthwhile.
+Quote Post
Innkeeper
post Mar 15 2009, 09:36 AM
Post #103

Member No.: 27820

Have been in two parks that I paid for T???? iinternet and was lucky if I could connect 5% of the time. They weren't interested in a refund but gave a free week. Why would I think this was a good deal to have a free week of service that doesn't work??

I like free, but if you need to pay, it needs to work.
+Quote Post
westernrvparkowner
post Mar 15 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #104

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Tikijenn @ Mar 14 2009, 07:52 PM) *

I agree that it should be 'free' or included in the rate whether I use it or not. It's not that expensive for the c/g to provide and even if they increased their overall rates by a couple of dollars to offset the cost it is still worthwhile.

Tikijenn, it is obvious you use the wifi service when you are at a campground. You don't care if the campground has raised the price a "couple of dollars" to provide the service because it is something you want. Would you feel the same if your favorite campground told you they were raising their price $2.00 to pay for something you do not use? I am in the midst of my busy reservation season and everyone asks what is included in my site fees. I tell them all my sites are full hookup, water sewer, electricity, cable TV and wifi. At least 20% ask if they can get a discount because they don't use all those services. They don't have a computer, they don't need cable tv, they only have a popup and don't need sewer, and on and on. A significant percentage of these people choose not to stay at my park, not because the cost is more than any nearby parks, but they feel they should not be paying for something they will not use. It is a mental issue, not a financial one. You need to look back at some of my other posts, Wifi is not inexpensive to provide. It is one of my biggest costs and without a doubt my biggest headache.
+Quote Post
Driftr
post Mar 15 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #105

Member No.: 29474

Here is my 2 cents. I think the wifi should be free as an enticement to choose one rv park over another. I would not rule out a park that charged a small fee. What I totally object to is all these rv parks in the RGV of Texas that advertise that they have it and in some cases charge for it and it doesn't work even some of the time. This was the most frustrating problem we had all this winter down here.
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com