> What Are Your Pet Peeves Rv'ing?
edcornflake
post Apr 2 2013, 11:19 AM
Post #91

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 42869

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Apr 1 2013, 11:33 AM) *

62 MPH is where I get the best fuel mileage so that's where I drive pulling the 5er.

What are you running Ned? I haven't figured out my optimum when pulling, but I have a 2012 F350 with the 6.7 l turbo diesel - I feel like she's the most comfortable in that 65-70 range (pulling about 11k pounds of 5er).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thetravelkids
post Apr 3 2013, 07:19 AM
Post #92

Member No.: 41962

My biggest complaint, without doubt, is diesel owners who idle their engines incessantly, especially at 6:00 a.m. Certainly, most diesel owners are considerate... thank you... but it happens far to often as some diesel owners think it's good, even necessary, to let their engines idle for twenty or thirty minutes after start-up. mad.gif
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post Apr 3 2013, 09:06 AM
Post #93

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26175

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Apr 2 2013, 10:19 AM) *

What are you running Ned? I haven't figured out my optimum when pulling, but I have a 2012 F350 with the 6.7 l turbo diesel - I feel like she's the most comfortable in that 65-70 range (pulling about 11k pounds of 5er).

I have a 2003 F-350 with the 6 liter diesel.

--------------------
We are now off the road but this is what we fulltimed in.
2003 Ford F-350
2003 Keystone Everest 343L
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post
mhmama
post Apr 19 2013, 03:56 PM
Post #94

Member No.: 13432

Most of the pet peeves listed are also mine but I have one that really can be irritating. Driving into a Rest Area late at night, exhausted and see one spot left in the area for truckers/RVers and find a car parked there. Plenty of room in the car area but they park in our area
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Apr 19 2013, 04:02 PM
Post #95

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

If you have a ScanGuage, you can zero in exactly what your sweet spot is for fuel economy. For me (8.1L) big difference between 60 and 65. I am not in a hurry anyway most of the time.

--------------------
+Quote Post
HappiestCamper
post Apr 22 2013, 07:31 AM
Post #96

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15651

QUOTE(mhmama @ Apr 19 2013, 05:56 PM) *

Most of the pet peeves listed are also mine but I have one that really can be irritating. Driving into a Rest Area late at night, exhausted and see one spot left in the area for truckers/RVers and find a car parked there. Plenty of room in the car area but they park in our area

X2

--------------------
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

IPB Image

CG's we've been to - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&....811523&z=7
+Quote Post
docj
post Apr 22 2013, 07:15 PM
Post #97

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

My pet peeve are CG owners who are so concerned about their precious grass or plantings that they place physically hazardous objects at the exit points of campsites and along the roads of their CG's. I'm talking about things like large boulders or metal fence posts. It's one thing to be concerned about careless RV drivers who don't bother to stay on roads but it's totally another to make the penalty for getting a wheel on grass be serious damage to a customer's RV.

We were just at such a CG where a steel fence post was placed at the exact spot where my site's pad joined the CG's interior road. The CG's roads are exceptionally narrow compared with most other parks and I worried all night about my ability to make the turn to get out of my pull-through without damaging my MH. I had my wife standing by the post as I tried to pull out, but because of RVs in the spaces ahead of me across the road there was no way for my MH to pull far enough out to make the turn without hitting the post. I couldn't back up and correct my angle because of a tree close to the left side of my coach.

I "solved" the problem by bending the post down so it wouldn't ruin the side of my MH at which point the post snapped and broke off. Since steel T-posts don't normally break that easily, I suspect this is not the first time a departing RVer has bent it in order to get out! Honestly, I didn't care about damaging the CG's post; the damage to my MH could have been a lot worse.

IMHO this CG has no business labeling itself as "big rig friendly"!

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
+Quote Post
BC Wanderer
post Apr 23 2013, 07:31 AM
Post #98

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16768

QUOTE(docj @ Apr 22 2013, 06:15 PM) *

My pet peeve are CG owners who are so concerned about their precious grass or plantings that they place physically hazardous objects at the exit points of campsites and along the roads of their CG's. I'm talking about things like large boulders or metal fence posts. It's one thing to be concerned about careless RV drivers who don't bother to stay on roads but it's totally another to make the penalty for getting a wheel on grass be serious damage to a customer's RV.

IMHO this CG has no business labeling itself as "big rig friendly"!

I agree. I stayed at one in Wilsonville Oregon that sounds suspiciously similar to your description. I didn't have a problem getting out as our rig is quite short but we came close. I'm glad you were able to snap the post. Paintwork is expensive to repair.

Darrell
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Apr 23 2013, 07:58 AM
Post #99

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

Terminology is a moving target in the RV business. Resort is a really abused term too. Since when is a parking lot a resort.

--------------------
+Quote Post
docj
post Apr 23 2013, 10:44 AM
Post #100

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

QUOTE(JDOLLEN @ Apr 23 2013, 09:31 AM) *

I agree. I stayed at one in Wilsonville Oregon that sounds suspiciously similar to your description. I didn't have a problem getting out as our rig is quite short but we came close. I'm glad you were able to snap the post. Paintwork is expensive to repair.

Darrell

I think it is amazing that you would recognize this CG as the one we were at! laugh.gif

We did stay at a KOA in Flagstaff that used boulders for the same purpose, but the one in Wilsonville was the one with the steel posts.

Did you also notice that no one had a single thing outside their RVs? I recognize the weather is still cool in OR but there wasn't a single chair visible outside near any RV. Personally, I found it a bit spooky, in a Stepford Wives way.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
+Quote Post
jamarynn1
post Apr 23 2013, 04:21 PM
Post #101

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45805

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Apr 23 2013, 07:58 AM) *

Terminology is a moving target in the RV business. Resort is a really abused term too. Since when is a parking lot a resort.

Oh, yeah...."resort".....that's a good one. Add the word "resort" to your name and you can charge an extra 15 dollars a night. We've stayed in "resorts" that had no pool, no clubhouse, etc. but, by dang, THEY WERE RESORTS! One place even charged a $3 per day "resort fee" for absolutely nothing - no pool, gameroom was locked the entire time we were there, laundromat was a disaster, you couldn't swim in the lake, and the store was open only a couple hours a day.

And then there are the places that have an ungodly number of rules. Now, I'm all for rules and I'm a rule-abiding person, even if I don't agree with the particular rule. But, one place we stayed a couple of years ago had the most unbelievable number of rules that covered about anything you could do or even THINK about doing. The RULES were posted everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE. We hadn't even come to a complete stop before the owner's wife roared up in a golf cart and informed us of a couple of rules we had already broken that we didn't even know about yet. Best yet, they offered "free nights" to people who ratted on their neighbors.....this was stated in the 3-page list of "rules". It was a good park, but at times I felt like I was in Stalag 17, especially when the owner's wife would slowly drive around the park all day, stopping at each site to have a good look to make sure you weren't breaking any of the rules.
+Quote Post
mdcamping
post Apr 23 2013, 07:36 PM
Post #102

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14145

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Apr 23 2013, 06:21 PM) *

Oh, yeah...."resort".....that's a good one. Add the word "resort" to your name and you can charge an extra 15 dollars a night. We've stayed in "resorts" that had no pool, no clubhouse, etc. but, by dang, THEY WERE RESORTS!

Yup...we stayed at a "RESORT" campground once with all the same missing amenities, but add NO dumpstation! dry.gif

Mike
+Quote Post
Fitzjohnfan
post Apr 24 2013, 12:05 AM
Post #103

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41655

Ok, I have a new peev which you park owners woulld appreciate: people who rate their stay lower, due to items completely out of control of the park. I just read a review that said: "I'm sure this park is quite nice in the spring, but when we were there it was cold and rainy which brought down the score."

So park owners, on top of providing good wi-fi, clean bathrooms, good hook ups, and big-rig friendly sites, you also have to make sure the weather is favorable!

--------------------
Chris G.
Westminster, CO
FMCA: F3508-S
1989 32' Southwind MH
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post Apr 24 2013, 07:15 AM
Post #104

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14080

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ Apr 24 2013, 01:05 AM) *

Ok, I have a new peev which you park owners woulld appreciate: people who rate their stay lower, due to items completely out of control of the park. I just read a review that said: "I'm sure this park is quite nice in the spring, but when we were there it was cold and rainy which brought down the score."

So park owners, on top of providing good wi-fi, clean bathrooms, good hook ups, and big-rig friendly sites, you also have to make sure the weather is favorable!

We are also responsible for birds pooping on vehicles, lady bugs, and all other normal insect populations.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BC Wanderer
post Apr 24 2013, 07:17 AM
Post #105

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16768

QUOTE(docj @ Apr 23 2013, 09:44 AM) *

I think it is amazing that you would recognize this CG as the one we were at! laugh.gif

We did stay at a KOA in Flagstaff that used boulders for the same purpose, but the one in Wilsonville was the one with the steel posts.

Did you also notice that no one had a single thing outside their RVs? I recognize the weather is still cool in OR but there wasn't a single chair visible outside near any RV. Personally, I found it a bit spooky, in a Stepford Wives way.

I think that the biggest reason that most folks stay inside their rigs at this place is because there isn't room outside. I was there a couple of years ago in October but the weather was warm and would have loved to have been outside. There was room on the pad for my coach and toad but not much else. Once you are off the pad the ground sloped so badly that you couldn't walk along the side of your rig. I had a little bit of space to set up my grill between the coach and the Jeep and that was all.

We usually go for a walk to check a park out and chat with other campers. We too noticed that this place appeared empty even though there were quite a few spaces taken.

This park still gets high ratings. We stayed there because of the reviews. Unfortunately, I didn't "read" them. I just looked at their numbers. Sadly, all of the parks short comings were listed but mentioned in different posts. I now take the time to read reviews.

Again, I'm glad you made it out of the park safely.

Darrell
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com