2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Complete Lies In A Review, Untrue Reviews
zavsgran
post Sep 28 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21771

What if a guest reviews your park with a bunch of complete lies, how are we to defend ourselves, especially when these lies are slanderous & defaming? sad.gif

I would love to start a website that reviews guests, I wonder how they would like to be slandered & defamed.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Wink
post Sep 28 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26986

I just look at other reviews a person has and the other reviews on the park they are talking about.
You get one bad one and the rest good you kind of know. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Home is where we park it.
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Sep 28 2012, 07:04 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

You can report your concern by clicking on "Contact Us," and a higher level admin will review what you report.

However, Wink has the right idea. If the ratings are almost all high with only bad one, then it is probable the reviewer was part of the problem and was just writing a vindictive review. If the problem is ongoing, then there will be mention of it in other reviews. Most people on this forum can easily determine the difference between a review identifying a real problem and one written just to get even with the park.

+Quote Post
kcmoedoe
post Sep 28 2012, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21445

QUOTE(zavsgran @ Sep 28 2012, 03:17 PM) *

What if a guest reviews your park with a bunch of complete lies, how are we to defend ourselves, especially when these lies are slanderous & defaming? sad.gif

I would love to start a website that reviews guests, I wonder how they would like to be slandered & defamed.
If it is a factual lie like there is no pool and there is, provide the site administrator proof. They should correct that type of information. If it is an opinion or just plain Liable (written lies), you are pretty much SOL. Anonymous reviews are just another hurdle businesses have to overcome. It is kind of a legal gray area, opinions are just that, opinions. Who is to decide, nice, rude, dangerous, smelly, clean, filthy, or any other descriptive term? Best defense is a good offense, push your good guests to post reviews and drown out the bad one.
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Sep 29 2012, 08:33 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

When I was in the lodging business, we had a whole lot of bogus reviews done by competitors writing bad reviews about others and glowing reviews about themselves. It is real easy to do and very hard to stop. The finicial rewards can be great and in hard times, people do desperate things. The only way for us as consumers is to read multiple reviews and throw out the worst and best.

--------------------
Lindsay Richards
http://www.linandnancy.com
Formerly Lindsay Richards
+Quote Post
HappiestCamper
post Sep 29 2012, 12:47 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15651

QUOTE(zavsgran @ Sep 28 2012, 05:17 PM) *

Free country (at least for now), start a website if you wish. But if you are so mad at being slandered and defamed with lies, why would you want to do the same thing?

Plenty of people out there do the wrong thing - let's don't increase that population.
+Quote Post
zavsgran
post Sep 29 2012, 01:04 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Sep 29 2012, 12:47 PM) *

Free country (at least for now), start a website if you wish. But if you are so mad at being slandered and defamed with lies, why would you want to do the same thing?

Plenty of people out there do the wrong thing - let's don't increase that population.

I never said I wished to slander & defame anyone, I just thinks some guests should be rated, like the ones who think their too good to pick up after their dogs, or think nothing of driving thru someone else's campsite late at night, or stay way past check out time. I don't make a habit of telling slanderous lies about anyone or anything & I think those who do should be made known.
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Sep 29 2012, 03:07 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

Let me go back to what kcmoedoe said. If someone makes an untrue factual statement about your park (intentionally or not), then yes, by all means report it with the "Contact Us" button. For instance, if someone says you do not have a pool when you do, then we want to set the record straight. Remember that some reviewers will say there is no pool just because it is closed for the season. We want the listing to indicate there is a pool even if it is closed seasonally.

However, if someone rates your park down because it does not have a pool, that is their opinion of what the park deserves based on the missing amenity. People rate parks based on what is important to them. If someone really likes to swim and if there is no pool available, he/she may reflect their disappointment in their rating. The next person may not care whether there is a pool or not, and therefore, will not lower the rating if there is not one available.

I personally do not believe that a reviewer should go so low as a 1 or 2 or slam a park just because a particular amenity is missing (assuming everything else is OK), but that is my opinion.

As for rating guests, I think I'll stay out of that one.
+Quote Post
The Sconyers and their boys
post Sep 29 2012, 06:34 PM
Post #9

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 74877

smile.gif
QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Sep 28 2012, 08:04 PM) *

You can report your concern by clicking on "Contact Us," and a higher level admin will review what you report.

However, Wink has the right idea. If the ratings are almost all high with only bad one, then it is probable the reviewer was part of the problem and was just writing a vindictive review. If the problem is ongoing, then there will be mention of it in other reviews. Most people on this forum can easily determine the difference between a review identifying a real problem and one written just to get even with the park.

QUOTE(zavsgran @ Sep 29 2012, 02:04 PM) *

I never said I wished to slander & defame anyone, I just thinks some guests should be rated, like the ones who think their too good to pick up after their dogs, or think nothing of driving thru someone else's campsite late at night, or stay way past check out time. I don't make a habit of telling slanderous lies about anyone or anything & I think those who do should be made known.

The RV Resort Site owner has the express right to make rules and to enforce them in a kind fashion. If you don't like it that dog owners don't pick up after their dogs there are many ways to tackle that. Same as the late check out. Campers have to obey the Resort owners rules. Simple as that. I agree, no need to create a website to report bad campers. Two wrongs does not make it right.
+Quote Post
rgatijnet
post Sep 29 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 28648

QUOTE(zavsgran @ Sep 28 2012, 05:17 PM) *

Remember, a review is that person's opinion of the RV park, and does not have to be in line with your own opinion of your park, or anyone else's opinion of your park. If I want an overnight stop, just to sleep, and do not care at all about your pool or other amenities, my review will state how the RV park met MY needs. Was it quiet, easy in and easy out? It could have the best amenities in the world, but if I could not get a good night's sleep, because of traffic noise, etc, my review will state that I was not happy. For the most part I do state if I stay at a park one night, or a week, but again, it is MY opinion of my experience and I refuse to be influenced by what other people experienced during their stay. Different people, different opinions.
+Quote Post
kcmoedoe
post Sep 29 2012, 06:59 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(The Sconyers and their boys @ Sep 29 2012, 06:34 PM) *

smile.gif
The RV Resort Site owner has the express right to make rules and to enforce them in a kind fashion. If you don't like it that dog owners don't pick up after their dogs there are many ways to tackle that. Same as the late check out. Campers have to obey the Resort owners rules. Simple as that. I agree, no need to create a website to report bad campers. Two wrongs does not make it right.

While a review-type website would surely be inappropriate, be aware that many businesses keep a database of troublesome customers. Walmart, Home Depot and similar big box stores can and will keep records of returns, and when you have too high a percentage, just cut you off. Many hotel chains keep a database of guests who damage property, and refuse them service. I wouldn't be surprised if someday KOA had a similar database tying all the customer records from the different parks together.
+Quote Post
zavsgran
post Sep 29 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Sep 29 2012, 06:59 PM) *

While a review-type website would surely be inappropriate, be aware that many businesses keep a database of troublesome customers. Walmart, Home Depot and similar big box stores can and will keep records of returns, and when you have too high a percentage, just cut you off. Many hotel chains keep a database of guests who damage property, and refuse them service. I wouldn't be surprised if someday KOA had a similar database tying all the customer records from the different parks together.

Believe me I have a list of guests I will not "accommodate"! For the most part I have met many very nice people from all over the world & many return year after year. But there is always those few(thank goodness) that just stick in my memory.
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post Sep 30 2012, 07:23 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14080

We have a list of RV'ers that will not be allowed back in our park because of their behavior. We had a few RV's from one company that was working briefly in our area and they were so bad they were evicted and no one from that company will ever be allowed back here.

+Quote Post
GandJ
post Sep 30 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 64530

QUOTE(zavsgran @ Sep 28 2012, 03:17 PM) *

I'm so sorry to hear that someone wrote a bad review of your campground. I can only imagine just how frustrating it is to put your hard work and endless hours into a place only to have it written up poorly.

As TexasRVers said, if it's something completely false, such as they said there is no shower house and their actually is, by all means do have that corrected with the website. Make sure that's noted on YOUR OWN web site as well, because we often do click through to check that out.

But, if it's just a matter of someone who didn't get their expectations met when they stayed with you, the readers here can pretty much see through that when we read it. Also, if there are other, recent favorable reviews of your place, we're sure to take that into consideration, as well.

As for the number ratings in the reviews (1 - 10), please keep in mind that these are so arbitrary that I (and probably others) don't put much stock in them. I have seen reviews where people deducted points because the campground had recycling for plastics but not for glass, or other such trivialities. On the other hand, I gave a state park a 10 rating, even though many would think that's not an appropriate rating unless there are full hookups at each site.

And I do kinda like your idea about ranking the people who stay at your park. Makes me wonder what'd be said about us!

--------------------
It's always the batteries!
+Quote Post
kcmoedoe
post Sep 30 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

A good example of why some parks would want a database of questionable customers is the guy who just reviewed the Grand Junction Colorado KOA. Apparently he is the guy who posted a thread on the RV.net forums about how he would never give more than a 3 to a park that has wifi that doesn't meet his expectations. His review of the park even said the wifi worked, just not to his satisfaction. Got to admit it is people like this that would make such a list attractive to a business owner.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com