9 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pets & Parks, Campers & rv parks attitudes toward pets
teaganr
post Nov 27 2012, 01:30 PM
Post #91

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 43690

I have now read most of these posts. Most of those individuals who dislike dogs do so because.
1. Noise
2. Poop
3. Unleashed pets
I must admit these are irritations to me also BUT a decent dog owner can and should alleviate most of these anxieties. Iím sorry you donít like dogs procarver or others, as you are missing out on some beautiful times. Iím sorry because you are in for some lonely episodes in your life and you don't know it. Iíve been to nursing homes where a visit from a dog (or other therapy animal) is the highlight of the day Ė to see the joy and relaxation from the residents which confirms the value of touch and love.

HOWEVER you donít have to dislike the dogs -- itís the stupid owners who think they have the right to infringe on others. Yes, I too find those that hop out of their rig and start putting up numerous X-Pens cause my ire to rise. Those are the people who need to park down the road and down in the holler. (if there is an outback to the park Ė put them there). Number of dog limitation rules are acceptable. Breed restrictions are not remember it's the owner -- not the dog. So how do we identify STUPID people?

I have found that dogs are more honest than humans. They donít lie, they donít cheat and they donít care what you think. They donít care if they are in a $300,000 rig or a $30 tent as long as they are with their human. They do steal tho (esp if it is a bone).

My dog is my psychiatrist. He is non-confrontational, listens to my aggravations, sorrows and provides unconditional love AND the best part of it Ė itís all free.

Now if you want to talk about kids in the campground Iíll make you a deal. Iíll muzzle my dog if you muzzle your kid. Iíll make sure my dog stays on itís lease and doesnít poop but in specific area and Iíll pick up after it IF you keep your kid on a leash Ė or at least out of my space and off of my car. I promise not to approach your kid even if you wanted and please keep your kid away from my dog. Iíve seen kids cheat, steal, break otherís property and then lie about it. So whose companion is better behaved? Not all children are poorly behaved as well as not all dogs are poorly trained or supervised.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. The answer is moderation and consideration.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Farmerswife
post Nov 29 2012, 03:46 PM
Post #92

Group: Members
Member No.: 28477

QUOTE(Procarver @ Nov 19 2010, 10:43 AM) *

We wish more parks had a strict "No Pet Policy". My wife is allergic to both dogs and cats so we have no pets and don't wish to be bothered by other peoples pets. Our family has been RVing for over 50 years and when we owned a dog and went camping our very well trained dog(s) went to the kennels where it belonged. Many people now days feel their damn mutt has more rights than people, such as being able to ignore leash regulations, nonsense. It also appears most of these "pampered pooches" have not had proper training which just exacerbates the problem. Oh, and let's not forget to mention the bozos who feel it is beneath them to pick up their animals deposits. Maybe it is time to equate non-pet owners rights with non-smokers rights. Remember, there was a time when non-smokers had no rights.

[size=4]

QUOTE(Farmerswife @ Nov 29 2012, 11:37 AM) *

I am not sure how cranky and quarrelsome you sound!! I'm a responsible dog lover who thinks there should be more parks that restrict cranky unfriendly people who shoulda bought a condo with a no pets clause. Get over yourself!!
+Quote Post
mdcamping
post Nov 29 2012, 05:04 PM
Post #93

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14145

Procarver hasn't posted in about 2 years...just my opinion but maybe it's time to stop involving his comments in this discussion. smile.gif

Mike

+Quote Post
melvonnar
post Nov 30 2012, 09:37 AM
Post #94

Member No.: 56105

QUOTE(Procarver @ Nov 19 2010, 03:43 PM) *

[size=7]
We wish more parks had a strict "No Pet Policy". My wife is allergic to both dogs and cats so we have no pets and don't wish to be bothered by other peoples pets. Our family has been RVing for over 50 years and when we owned a dog and went camping our very well trained dog(s) went to the kennels where it belonged. Many people now days feel their damn mutt has more rights than people, such as being able to ignore leash regulations, nonsense. It also appears most of these "pampered pooches" have not had proper training which just exacerbates the problem. Oh, and let's not forget to mention the bozos who feel it is beneath them to pick up their animals deposits. Maybe it is time to equate non-pet owners rights with non-smokers rights. Remember, there was a time when non-smokers had no rights.

I"m with you %100.
I"m afaid the dog lovers will bash you real good.
The one I like to repeat time and time again is this-----Ever see a dog lick his privet parts then give its owners a good face licking? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
melvonnar
post Nov 30 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #95

Member No.: 56105

QUOTE(rwarner22 @ Jul 24 2011, 10:14 PM) *

I am listening to a dog bark now. He/she has been at it for the last 5 hours. Ugh

There is a campground in Pa. called barking dog campground; Guess why? laugh.gif
+Quote Post
astreamer
post Dec 29 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #96

Member No.: 66370

Here, here! After stepping in dog poop twice in two days at two different parks and getting on my water hose and electrical, I am fed up with irresponsible dog owners. If you are unable to manage your pet then you shouldn't own one.
+Quote Post
rkw99
post Dec 31 2012, 09:38 AM
Post #97

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61121

I wish dog owners would not walk their dogs through the playgrounds. Just in general, not just campgrounds. Even if you clean up the mess, there is still a residue left on the ground for children who like to sit in the grass, or pick up sticks etc.
+Quote Post
Joeperez
post Jan 3 2013, 12:09 PM
Post #98

Member No.: 76349

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Nov 20 2010, 12:17 PM) *

So far we have never run into problems with any four legged campers, It's the two legged one's we've had problems with... biggrin.gif
Mike

+Quote Post
B. Kidd
post Jan 7 2013, 05:29 PM
Post #99

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55883

Responsible dog owners still outnumber the irresponsible ones, especially in the age 55+ parks.
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post Jan 8 2013, 09:27 AM
Post #100

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14080

I see owners walking their pets and starting to walk away without doing cleanup. I keep a couple of grocery sacks in my pocket and walk over to them and say "here, this will save you a trip to gt a bag". After that they seem to remember to clean up.

Also, there was a man that I was continually reminding to put his dog on a leash and clean up behind it but he never did. Finally one day I saw him let the dog out and it went immediately to a neighbors campsite and pooped right beside the mans truck door. I got paper and went and picked up the poop and placed it by the dog owners truck door. Of course he stepped in it but....funny thing....he started doing his own clean up after that. Yes, I know that wasn't the recommended "nice" thing for a manager to do but after weeks of talking to the guy I knew it would take something a bit drastic to get through to him and it did.
+Quote Post
mdcamping
post Jan 9 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #101

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14145

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Jan 8 2013, 10:27 AM) *

I see owners walking their pets and starting to walk away without doing cleanup. I keep a couple of grocery sacks in my pocket and walk over to them and say "here, this will save you a trip to gt a bag". After that they seem to remember to clean up.

Also, there was a man that I was continually reminding to put his dog on a leash and clean up behind it but he never did. Finally one day I saw him let the dog out and it went immediately to a neighbors campsite and pooped right beside the mans truck door. I got paper and went and picked up the poop and placed it by the dog owners truck door. Of course he stepped in it but....funny thing....he started doing his own clean up after that. Yes, I know that wasn't the recommended "nice" thing for a manager to do but after weeks of talking to the guy I knew it would take something a bit drastic to get through to him and it did.

Unfortunately, that's the only way some people can learn

Mike
+Quote Post
acampingfan
post Mar 18 2013, 12:42 PM
Post #102

Member No.: 47674

QUOTE(astreamer @ Dec 29 2012, 11:43 PM) *

Here, here! After stepping in dog poop twice in two days at two different parks and getting on my water hose and electrical, I am fed up with irresponsible dog owners. If you are unable to manage your pet then you shouldn't own one.

It helps to have your eyes open when walking! If you cant, heaven forbid you step on some wild animal droppings!
+Quote Post
K9_Iraq
post Mar 29 2013, 08:46 AM
Post #103

Member No.: 77495

QUOTE(acampingfan @ Mar 18 2013, 11:42 AM) *

It helps to have your eyes open when walking! If you cant, heaven forbid you step on some wild animal droppings!

I agree that r/v guests have to take responsibility of their pets. Pets stay on their leashes and the handler cleans-up after the dog.

The r/v park guests also has a responsibility to speak-up and civilly remind the handler to properly remove and dispose of the dogs droppings. It can be done in a non-confrontational manner... The reason dog owners and/or handlers continue that poor behavior is very few people speak-up and say anything.

I carry extra poop bags and in a friendly exchange offer them to handlers and in most interactions we end up in a good ending... wink.gif

--------------------
--------------------
'Fergus', Sharon & Bill
2012 Winnebago 'Vista'
Las Vegas, Nevada
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Apr 5 2013, 06:58 PM
Post #104

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

We saw a miniature pig at a campground a few weeks back. Had a fancy vest type harness and was tied to a tree at the camp site. Was causing no trouble, but looked strange. I have heard of them, but first time I have seen one.

--------------------
Lindsay Richards
http://www.linandnancy.com
Formerly Lindsay Richards
+Quote Post
F5fstop
post Apr 28 2013, 09:05 AM
Post #105

Member No.: 78239

QUOTE(teaganr @ Nov 27 2012, 01:30 PM) *

I have now read most of these posts. Most of those individuals who dislike dogs do so because.
1. Noise
2. Poop
3. Unleashed pets
I must admit these are irritations to me also BUT a decent dog owner can and should alleviate most of these anxieties. Iím sorry you donít like dogs procarver or others, as you are missing out on some beautiful times. Iím sorry because you are in for some lonely episodes in your life and you don't know it. Iíve been to nursing homes where a visit from a dog (or other therapy animal) is the highlight of the day Ė to see the joy and relaxation from the residents which confirms the value of touch and love.

HOWEVER you donít have to dislike the dogs -- itís the stupid owners who think they have the right to infringe on others. Yes, I too find those that hop out of their rig and start putting up numerous X-Pens cause my ire to rise. Those are the people who need to park down the road and down in the holler. (if there is an outback to the park Ė put them there). Number of dog limitation rules are acceptable. Breed restrictions are not remember it's the owner -- not the dog. So how do we identify STUPID people?

I have found that dogs are more honest than humans. They donít lie, they donít cheat and they donít care what you think. They donít care if they are in a $300,000 rig or a $30 tent as long as they are with their human. They do steal tho (esp if it is a bone).

My dog is my psychiatrist. He is non-confrontational, listens to my aggravations, sorrows and provides unconditional love AND the best part of it Ė itís all free.

Now if you want to talk about kids in the campground Iíll make you a deal. Iíll muzzle my dog if you muzzle your kid. Iíll make sure my dog stays on itís lease and doesnít poop but in specific area and Iíll pick up after it IF you keep your kid on a leash Ė or at least out of my space and off of my car. I promise not to approach your kid even if you wanted and please keep your kid away from my dog. Iíve seen kids cheat, steal, break otherís property and then lie about it. So whose companion is better behaved? Not all children are poorly behaved as well as not all dogs are poorly trained or supervised.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. The answer is moderation and consideration.

My exact opinion. I'll take an occasional bark from a dog rather than listening to a bunch of brats running around on bikes (or drunks at 1 AM).
I have a large dog, I pick up after her, she is always on a leash or a 20 foot tether when out of the trailer (I do NOT leave her tethered unless I am outside with her; not fair to her, and in some places I camp, too dangerous for her) [color=#CC0000]or tow vehicle, and she does not bark; however, she will growl at Coyotes, and someone trying to steal my wheels.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com