Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pets & Parks, Campers & rv parks attitudes toward pets
Procarver
post Nov 22 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 46687

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Nov 22 2010, 10:46 AM) *

We camp because we want to share the family camping experience with our kids and our dog, we love having campfires and the occasional beverage by said campfire... Should the uberboring park of the future become the norm, I'd have to switch to tenting in the woods behind my house! (and I know you're not calling for such a campground KC) I don't stumble around drunk walking my barking dog and not pick up her 'leavings' while my barefoot chilluns race through the campground shouting and knocking over pic-nic tables. My dog does bark occasionally. My kids do make noise once in a while. I always have more baggies than I'll need on any walk and always pick up what's dropped. I like to think that I'm the norm, but maybe not.

It's been said several times, but more often than not, it's the people. Most people have become so entitled and self centered, that they don't notice when their selfishness is negatively impacting those around them. I see it all the time, there is neither common sense, nor common decency much of the time.

Your family sounds quite like what we considered the norm 20 years but not now. Your last paragraph showed insight rarely seen today. I don't think most want boring. Properly trained and supervised children and socializing around a campfire with a beverage of your choice are all a legitimate part of the camping experience, tolerating boorish behavior, loud music, mis-behaving children or pets shouldn't be. I still think the mutt should stay at home.

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Nov 20 2010, 08:00 AM) *

I wish that more people that joined this forum to just complain about one thing would do some research and post to the other threads that have already talked about this.

Procarver, since you didn't do your research, let me tell you what has already been learned here. It has been agreed that it is not the pets, but the owners that are the problems. It is also only the very few bad owners that makes everybody look bad. The vast majority abide by the rules, clean up after their pets, keep them on a leash and out of your site. Pet owners would like to see fenced in areas where they can let their pet run loose for exercise.

And we would prefer to see parks with no pets or as some have, a no pet area same as a no smoking area. I did find it interesting you chose to question the research of one known for that endeavor. But then again, you misspelled my name as well.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Procarver
post Nov 22 2010, 06:20 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Nov 20 2010, 07:20 AM) *

We gladly welcome pets. We only had a problem with one pet barking and I immediately went over and informed the owners that they must deal with it or leave. Dogs bark on occasion, children yell, engines make noise, people laugh and everyone should learn to handle nose, of any kind on occasion. Most people that are animal lovers wouldn't dream of going in their RV without their pets.

I'm sorry to sound rude but my feeling from your post is that you are an angry person in general.

Dalsgal, you appear to operate a RV park and also appear to be doing it properly. I only commented on pets in camp grounds, I don't know how all of this other nonsense got interjected into the equation. We just feel that if parks are going to allow pets, they should be strictly limited to one section with the rest including common areas, "no pet". We both grew up with animals both as pets and to eat and believe they S/B kept in their place. On a lighter note, I recommend you don't give up your day job to become a psychiatrist. I am considered by most to be a happy go lucky person and I wouldn't even be angry if I learned I was to die tomorrow as I have lived 35 years longer than expected after being diagnosed with a cancer that is terminal 99.9% of the time. I will however plead guilty to a complete lack of tolerance for unacceptable, ignorant, boorish behavior and poor performance.
+Quote Post
kcmoedoe
post Nov 22 2010, 07:06 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21445

QUOTE(Procarver @ Nov 22 2010, 04:50 PM) *

If you spent $300,000.00 on a coach to accommodate a mutt, you could have saved $$ by going to a psychiatrist. If you wish to travel with a dog in your coach, fine, but keep it there preferably with a mussel on it so it can't bark. I also find it quite interesting that people like yourself prefer to change the subject instead of sticking to the issue at hand. I wouldn't tolerate such behavior from my kids when they were growing up. Last but not least, based on a few years observation, mutts accompany closer to 10% 0f campers, not 50%.

By all means, I am sure your "observational" numbers are more accurate than mine. I didn't realize you were a professional observer and myself an admitted unaccomplished amateur. Thanks to hard work, I have $300,000 to spend anyway I please. I chose to spend it on a rig so my dog can travel with me. If that is considered crazy, so be it. How is my post changing the subject? I believe the subject was about RV parks and Dogs. Also, why would travelling with a mussel on my dog do any good. Do you not know what a mussel is? A mussel is a freshwater clam. I don't think having a freshwater clam on my dog would stop her from barking. The only advantage I could see to a "no pets" park would be the fact that you would stay there and I would not. You sound like a very angry person, perhaps you should take my time at the psychiatrist.
+Quote Post
HappiestCamper
post Nov 22 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15651

QUOTE(Procarver @ Nov 22 2010, 06:28 PM) *

<snip>I did find it interesting you chose to question the research of one known for that endeavor. But then again, you misspelled my name as well.

Just saying, been covered in a bunch of other topics here already.
I know my eyesight is really bad, but I don't see where I spelled it wrong. "Pro" as in professional, "carver" as in what most of us will be doing with the turkey on Thursday?
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Nov 22 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

QUOTE(Procarver @ Nov 22 2010, 06:20 PM) *

We just feel that if parks are going to allow pets, they should be strictly limited to one section with the rest including common areas, "no pet".

This post sounds quite different from your first one that stated, "We wish more parks had a strict "No Pet Policy". I took your first comment to mean you would like to see more parks that did not allow pets at all. If other members read that the same way I did I can see how they would jump in to defend being able to stay at RV parks and have their pets with them.

Now if what you are really saying is you would like to see more parks that have a no pets area that is a whole other idea and not an unreasonable one. I think most RVers with pets would agree to this. We have stayed at several parks that have pet and no pet areas and feel that is fine. It accommodates both ways of thinking and is more akin to smoking/no smoking areas. I absolutely would not mind staying in the pet area and refraining from taking my pets into the common areas. Many parks already have that rule, and in fact I do not take my pets there now. I love my animals like a child, but I do not expect everyone else to feel the same way or to have to be around them outside of my RV.
+Quote Post
RFCN2
post Nov 22 2010, 10:45 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50133

Wow, I am trying to stay positive here, but I just have to say that I am not fond of animal haters. The fact that you have /had a dog and then left them in a kennel when you went out to explore the outdoors says to me you don't care about your animal. I love dogs. I love mine. I volunteer at the local Zoo. Dogs love to go on RV trips. It is dog heaven. And my life when I take my dog with me on an RV trip is improved by the dog being with me. One of the attractions of RVing is I can take her.

Since the two "newby's" seem to want to sanitize RV parks my question is, why don't you stay in an immaculate hospital-like hotel. I cannot understand why you would want to put up with the dirt at RV parks.

All that said, I also am put off by land mines dog owners don't pick up. I also do not like uncontrolled dogs barking constantly. We are very careful that ours keeps mostly quiet and her messes are cleaned up.

Thankfully I think the chance of RV parks going to to dog, smoke (I am a non smoker), and noise free mode is zero and none.

Lastly, could you please give me a heads up on any distinctive markings on your two coaches so I can make sure I don't park next to you all ever.

--------------------
Bob & Barbara
2002 Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2013 Airdale Terrier
+Quote Post
possumtrotky
post Nov 23 2010, 08:42 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 10516

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Nov 19 2010, 09:47 PM) *

Don't think you are going to find a lot of sympathy with this post. My dog is the reason I spent $300,000 on a coach. I could go an awfully lot of great places in style for that kind of money, but my dog couldn't, hence I RV. I can't envision an RV park that could succeed with a strict "NO PET" policy. I believe fully 50% of RVers, especially full timers, have a pet of some kind. Others feel just about as strongly about excluding children and campfires. Add in those who would like to see "No Alcohol" the law of the park and there wouldn't be too many RVers left for a very restrictive park to rent to. I think you have a request that will go nowhere fast.

I think thats a expensive dog house. I wouldn't want it when u are thru with it. I also do not think dogs and cats should be in a park with me. seperated the two and animal lovers keep your muts out of my sight while doing their business.
+Quote Post
joez
post Nov 23 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19489

based on a few years observation, mutts accompany closer to 10% 0f campers, not 50%.

Actually, every demographic study that I have seen (Escapees,FMCA, etc) show 40%-50% of rv travelers travel with pets. Perhaps these studies are skewed because they mostly concentrate on full time/snowbird rv travelers. These resuts would be in order, though, since 39% of American households have at least one dog (Humane Society).

Maybe we are all getting grumpy as we age, or maybe we are all turning into activists. In our travels this year I have seen people complaining confrontationally about no pets allowed, pets allowed, kids too loud,campfires too smoky, generators too loud, etc. I've watched campground neighbors scream at workers because the wifi was too slow or the pool water was too cold. I have been hassled by a group of tenters claiming I was ruining the world burning diesel and by a neighbor in an rv park that complained because her family was vegetarian and I was cooking meat on a grill and they claimed the odor upset them. Another woman was in an rv office in tears because there were no campsites designated as non smoking. I think I will keep taking my "chill pills" and roll with whatever comes my way. My rv has wheels and I can go wherever I feel wanted.
+Quote Post
RFCN2
post Nov 23 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50133

I have to take a chill pill too. I felt bad all night about writing me semi unkind post last night. I too have seen a number of confrontations in the last year. I just don't want to become part of the problem. My wife has a saying, "The World is full of a^&%^&%s, just try not to be one of them." So now I am going to concentrate on being mellow.

--------------------
Bob & Barbara
2002 Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2013 Airdale Terrier
+Quote Post
Procarver
post Nov 23 2010, 01:43 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Nov 22 2010, 07:12 PM) *

Just saying, been covered in a bunch of other topics here already.
I know my eyesight is really bad, but I don't see where I spelled it wrong. "Pro" as in professional, "carver" as in what most of us will be doing with the turkey on Thursday?

On my computer the "v" was a "y", minor detail.
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post Nov 23 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26175

I would assume these newbies are those that like to come onto a forum and get a bunch of &^%* stirred up to stroke their egos. If they are left alone they will go somewhere else. Just my experience in these things.

--------------------
We are now off the road but this is what we fulltimed in.
2003 Ford F-350
2003 Keystone Everest 343L
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Nov 23 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Nov 23 2010, 05:01 PM) *

I would assume these newbies are those that like to come onto a forum and get a bunch of &^%* stirred up to stroke their egos. If they are left alone they will go somewhere else. Just my experience in these things.

I don't think procarver meant to be that way. His first post may have come on a little heavy-handed, but after that he was only just responding to remarks made by us pet lovers.
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Nov 24 2010, 10:24 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

The World is full of a^&%^&%s, just try not to be one of them."

You married a very smart lady. Me too, but sometimes it is hard to heed their advise.

--------------------
Lindsay Richards
http://www.linandnancy.com
Formerly Lindsay Richards
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Nov 25 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16651

The December 2010 issue of Motorhome Magazine featured articles about people who travel with pets, and suggested pet etiquette.

(and, if I may be so bold as to brag...... the article of the person who travels with a cat was..... ME!!!!!!)

JJ

--------------------
JJ from Pacific Northwest

Check out my blog on TOADLESS RVing!
http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me some suggestions.
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Nov 25 2010, 02:48 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

If is online, please post a link to it. I am giving you a great excuse to do so.

--------------------
Lindsay Richards
http://www.linandnancy.com
Formerly Lindsay Richards
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com