Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It Never Ceases To Amaze Me!
Texasrvers
post Jun 20 2014, 12:24 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

Yes, I look at the aerial views all the time. And do you know you can get a street view on our maps. Look for the little yellow/orange man in the upper left hand corner of the map. Click and drag him to the place you want to see. If the street line turns blue on the map, a street level view is available.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tiffinman
post Jun 20 2014, 12:37 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 87294

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jun 20 2014, 12:24 PM) *

Yes, I look at the aerial views all the time. And do you know you can get a street view on our maps. Look for the little yellow/orange man in the upper left hand corner of the map. Click and drag him to the place you want to see. If the street line turns blue on the map, a street level view is available.

Really ??.....Wasn't aware of that . I'll try that next time . Thanks.
+Quote Post
BC Wanderer
post Jun 21 2014, 08:19 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16768

QUOTE(tiffinman @ Jun 20 2014, 11:15 AM) *

Does anyone else do an aerial view of a campground before deciding ?

I use Google Earth which has Street View built in. There are some parks where Street View goes right into the park. I can also download the coordinates right into my GPS.

Darrell
+Quote Post
plowboy
post Aug 27 2014, 04:05 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 13914

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Jun 2 2014, 08:03 PM) *

What has my head shaking is when I read a review where they give the campground a very low score because of a extra charge, go figure they spend 15 to 100K on an RV but the campground will get a poor review because of an extra $4 per night charge. dry.gif

Mike

I am a park owner and we try to keep our rates as low as possible so we base our rates on two persons, and charge for extra 2 bucks for more then two and guest. You would not believe how often we get complaints about the extra charge. Our rate for a full hookup the cable and wifi is only 36.00 dollars. We have good reviews thru out the web community. They act like you are taking candy from a baby

Bob
+Quote Post
kcmoedoe
post Aug 27 2014, 04:26 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21445

QUOTE(plowboy @ Aug 27 2014, 04:05 PM) *

I am a park owner and we try to keep our rates as low as possible so we base our rates on two persons, and charge for extra 2 bucks for more then two and guest. You would not believe how often we get complaints about the extra charge. Our rate for a full hookup the cable and wifi is only 36.00 dollars. We have good reviews thru out the web community. They act like you are taking candy from a baby

Bob

A very, very successful businessman once to me the last thing you want to do is be the low cost provider. Your clients will reflect your business plan and will be focused on cost, not value. They will not stop with a low price for your primary product (in your case an RV site), but will extend that low price mentality to every product you offer, be it items in your store, other services and everything else. There is more profit to be made by being the highest quality service, not the lowest price.
Also, price often projects perceived value. Most people believe higher prices mean better quality. That isn't always the case, but the perception is there.
+Quote Post
BankShot
post Aug 27 2014, 04:47 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 78954

Ever since we found the RV Park Reviews site and joined, we've been using it as a guide when we make our trips. I check out the various parks along the routes we will be taking and read the reviews. My take on them is I add them up all the ratings and the divide by the number of reviews to get an "average" rating overall. Then after looking over the park's website I go to Google Earth and try to see as much of it as possible from both overhead and at street level, which unfortunately is not available for many of the" off the main path" parks. But at least I can get a fairly good look at the layout of the park and the nearby businesses like cafes, Walmart, hardware stores and even Camping World if one is nearby. What I get a kick out of, is when there are 12 reviews of which 11 give the park an average rating of 8, but there is one reviewer who gives it a 2 because he can't back his 22 foot camper into a space. And yet several of the other reviewers who have much longer motorhomes and 5th wheels all say how easy and convenient it was to back into the back in spaces........... blink.gif Perhaps that one reviewer needs a refresher course in backing up....? Anyway, we have found RV Park Reviews and this forum to be most helpful and we will continue to use both and post on both in the future...................

Good Rv'ing ahead to everyone...............BankShot
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post Aug 28 2014, 08:32 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26175

QUOTE(BankShot @ Aug 27 2014, 03:47 PM) *

Ever since we found the RV Park Reviews site and joined, we've been using it as a guide when we make our trips. I check out the various parks along the routes we will be taking and read the reviews. My take on them is I add them all up and the divide the by the number of reviews to get an "average" rating overall. Then after looking over the park's website I go to Google Earth and try to see as much of is as possible from both overhead and at street level, which unfortunately is not available for many of the" off the main path" parks. But at least I can get a fairly good look at the layout of the park and the nearby businesses like cafes, Walmart, hardware stores and even Camping World if one is nearby. What I get a kick out of, is when there are 12 reviews of which 11 give the park an average rating of 8, but there is one reviewer who gives it a 2 because he can't back his 22 foot camper into a space. And yet several of the other reviewers who have much longer motorhomes and 5th wheels all say how easy and convenient it was to back into the back in spaces........... blink.gif Perhaps that one reviewer needs a refresher course in backing up....? Anyway, we have found RV Park Reviews and this forum to be most helpful and we will continue to use both and post on both in the future...................

Good Rv'ing ahead to everyone...............BankShot

Good post. That is the way we used to do it. I would look and someone would give it a low rating because they didn't like somethi8ng in the bathroom and we never used a park bathroom. I have stayed in parks with a 5 rating that were just fine for us.

--------------------
We are now off the road but this is what we fulltimed in.
2003 Ford F-350
2003 Keystone Everest 343L
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post
Tiffinman
post Aug 28 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 87294

" What I get a kick out of, is when there are 12 reviews of which 11 give the park an average rating of 8, but there is one reviewer who gives it a 2 because he can't back his 22 foot camper into a space. And yet several of the other reviewers who have much longer motorhomes and 5th wheels all say how easy and convenient it was to back into the back in spaces.........."

There could be 2 sides to that coin.... It may not always be the guy with the 22' camper who can't back in. It could be a wrong size site assignment and maybe the customer doesn't try to get a site re-assignment .....but just complains about it ?
+Quote Post
RTA
post Aug 28 2014, 11:31 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 89717

I can understand the discrepancies that are bound to happen when 10 different people review the same campground. The reasons for this could be attributed to:

1) people look at and attach various degrees of importance to the rating criteria. Some folks don't place much importance on the washrooms because they never use them. Others, like myself, think of the washrooms as very important and will downgrade a park if the washrooms aren't up to scratch.
Others, who use pull-throughs, will assign a lower value to the park if they aren't long enough or harder to get into. The list goes on.

2) a person who has had a long, tiring and "bad" day may come into the park in a grumpy mood and to him/her, the park was no good - no matter how good it really is.

3) the fact that some people are more fussy than others. Intolerant folks will not give a park a decent rating because a dog barked, the grass was too long, the water wasn't hot enough, the check in person wasn't at all friendly, the neighbour's kids were too noisy, etc.

4) people just look at things differently - some like classical music, others like western. Our tastes vary.

If a park is an excellent one in all areas, usually there will be agreement and will receive high marks. If it is a "dump", it will receive low marks. It's the ones in the middle that differences exist and you will find some low ratings mixed in with the highs.

--------------------
[size=3]

2008 Keystone Cougar
TV: 2005 GMC Duramax/Alison
+Quote Post
John S.
post Aug 30 2014, 10:00 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 207

Well,I will say have stayed in campgrounds that get poor reviews. Fishing bridge is an example. It works for us when we stayed there but now I am too big. But the weak reviews were spot on. I think if you stay somewhere and agree that in comparison to other places it is weak you should say so. Liberty harbor us another place that gets mixed reviews. If you have a cheaper unit without double paine windows you might be bothered by the canvas nightclub next door. It is super close to NYC though but I would rate it down as it is a parking lot. I think that letting the person make up their kind but being accurate is still important. I would not rate either of these places highly and will point out the negatives and benefits in the writeup. I know of one small park who will not let in big rigs since they are oddly shaped so they do not get bad reviews. If you tell then you can drive and it s not a big deal then you can get in. Oh they are almost always booked and no kids around either. Great adult park that people book in by the month. So that us on the other side for me. Good review number and writeup but notification that it is tight.

--------------------
John S.
2001 Foretravel U320
2007 Bornfree
Jeep Wrangler Toad
+Quote Post
ttg
post Aug 30 2014, 01:57 PM
Post #26

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 24298

QUOTE(RTA @ Aug 29 2014, 12:31 AM) *

I can understand the discrepancies that are bound to happen when 10 different people review the same campground. The reasons for this could be attributed to:

1) people look at and attach various degrees of importance to the rating criteria. Some folks don't place much importance on the washrooms because they never use them. Others, like myself, think of the washrooms as very important and will downgrade a park if the washrooms aren't up to scratch.
Others, who use pull-throughs, will assign a lower value to the park if they aren't long enough or harder to get into. The list goes on.

2) a person who has had a long, tiring and "bad" day may come into the park in a grumpy mood and to him/her, the park was no good - no matter how good it really is.

3) the fact that some people are more fussy than others. Intolerant folks will not give a park a decent rating because a dog barked, the grass was too long, the water wasn't hot enough, the check in person wasn't at all friendly, the neighbour's kids were too noisy, etc.

4) people just look at things differently - some like classical music, others like western. Our tastes vary.

If a park is an excellent one in all areas, usually there will be agreement and will receive high marks. If it is a "dump", it will receive low marks. It's the ones in the middle that differences exist and you will find some low ratings mixed in with the highs.

If someone gives a park the highest rating or the lowest rating, I check out their other reviews. If they consistently rate 10's or 1's, then I pretty much discount the review of the particular park I'm interested in and go on to the next reviewer. I prefer reviews that simply state what they found on their visit, not their opinion of what they found because, like you said, sometimes it's just a bad day or sometimes what's important to others may or may not be important to me. For example, I'd rather a reviewer simply say a park is close to the highway and there is road noise rather than it's a bad park because of road noise.
+Quote Post
BankShot
post Aug 31 2014, 02:50 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 78954

One more comment for this thread. It was mentioned a few reviews up that a few parks have Google Earth street views available within the park itself. For those that have never tried this, JGW RV Park in Redding, CA has this feature. You can "drive right in the main entrance" and then follow the roads thru the park and check out any site you wish to. We did that the first time we used that park and found we could stop right at each of the river front sites and check each one out for its own view as well as width, length and amenities, etc. Great feature! It's too bad more parks don't subscribe to this as it sure makes selecting a space easy and convenient. When you arrive you almost feel like you've been there before and know right where to go to get to your space plus you are able to find out where everything is located within the park. If anyone knows of other parks where this can be done, let this forum know so the rest of us can use this feature should we ever be in that area.....................

Regards, BankShot
+Quote Post
MaineDon
post Aug 31 2014, 08:19 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10707

Sometimes you just don't have a choice, Hutch. We are not big on sleeping at Wal-Marts or Rest Areas and, doing two cross-country Maine-Arizona trips each year, there are locations along the way at which we are yet to find decent parks. This happens most to us in New England, where some states (e.g., Connecticut) have surprisingly few parks to begin with; and NE parks often close early in the fall or open late in the spring. If you travel at these times, we have found choices to be rather limited. It was under these circumstances that we stayed at a truly dreadful park south of Worcester. We had read the reviews and had an idea of what was ahead, but it was October 15th and there was nothing else available. Likewise, we often hit an area in PA where we have yet to find a park we like (and we are not THAT fussy....just like clean restrooms, services that work, and quiet sleeping conditions). So we have stayed at a KOA there (more than once) that we don't really like, but after surviving the traffic around Boston, through Hartford. and across lower New York, we are usually too stressed and exhausted to drive on an extra hour or two. I have reviewed these parks on this forum, and have tried to note in my reviews that I was forewarned about conditions, but wanted to add my voice to those of others that these are parks to avoid, if possible.
+Quote Post
GaryWT
post Oct 16 2014, 10:54 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 480

This is an interesttopic as I have wondered similar things. I always think that people just say it can't be that bad... As I believe others do as well, you can't just go by the number as what one person does not like someone else does not care about. As in, best park ever but they charged 25 cents for a shower so they get a 1. When you read, just trailers as seasonal, bad roads, unlevel sites, bathrooms dirty and falling down, could not breath in office do to smoke, pool or swimming hole terrible etc then yes, I stay away for sure. If negative ratings are fees, wifi or I was told to be quiet after 10 or 11 then I might give it a try or at least drive through if I am in the area. Everyones idea of a great or terrible place is their own and that is what makes it all exciting but I agree with Hutch, if the ratings are 1,1,3,1,4,1,1 then they will not get a look from me even if they are the only campground around.

That said, I have been to one or two places that were not to our liking as we camp with friends sometimes and they like a few places that we do not but sometimes you have to suck it up and go.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com