RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's Your Annual Rv Usage/mileage?
RV Usage/Mileage
How many days do you use your RV per year?
30 days or less. [ 66 ] ** [22.68%]
31-60 days. [ 77 ] ** [26.46%]
61-100 days. [ 49 ] ** [16.84%]
101-200 days. [ 35 ] ** [12.03%]
Over 200 days. [ 64 ] ** [21.99%]
How many miles per year do you drive your RV?
Under 5,000 miles. [ 110 ] ** [37.80%]
5001-10,000 miles. [ 116 ] ** [39.86%]
10,001-15,000 miles. [ 43 ] ** [14.78%]
15,001-20,000 miles. [ 16 ] ** [5.50%]
Over 20,000 miles. [ 6 ] ** [2.06%]
Have you reduce your annual usage and/or mileage due to rising fuel prices?
Yes. [ 86 ] ** [29.55%]
No. [ 197 ] ** [67.70%]
Changes due to other than fuel costs. [ 8 ] ** [2.75%]
Total Votes: 873
Guests cannot vote 
Lee and Fran
post Apr 19 2008, 11:30 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10865

When I joined this forum I was a summer rv user. We are now fulltimers as of last Oct. We are not on the road as much as I would like to be but cannot afford to be, so for now we workamp as volunteers in National Parks.

--------------------
Lee and Fran
Fulltimin and luvin it
While travelin down lifes paths
stop to smell the flowers
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Apr 19 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16651

QUOTE(Lee and Fran @ Apr 19 2008, 10:30 AM) *

When I joined this forum I was a summer rv user. We are now fulltimers as of last Oct. We are not on the road as much as I would like to be but cannot afford to be, so for now we workamp as volunteers in National Parks.

But you still have freedom, you can leave if you want. You can move on and just take your house with you!

JJ

--------------------
JJ from Pacific Northwest

Check out my blog on TOADLESS RVing!
http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me some suggestions.
+Quote Post
Terry10
post Apr 27 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #33

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 20479

QUOTE(John S. @ Jan 12 2008, 09:17 AM) *

Well, I am the only one in the 20k plus miles. I just like to travel but still work so I use it as much as I can. I used to use it to visit family in Iowa Texas and AZ all starting in VA and each one a separate trip. Now I just go to SPokane washington once a year and thte rest of family is alot closer (Richmond). It will be interesting to see if I drop in my milae but it will not be due to fuel prices. In fact I am very happy I put all those miles on with cheap fuel. I have traveled in the MH 165k miles in 5 years so that is alot of fuel at 8 miles a gallon or lessdepending on genset use and aquahot use. Interesting poll but if you think about it what is the difference between 2.50 and 3.50 a gallon for fuel. It is a dollar. SO you drive a 4000 mile trip and get 8 mpg you will use 500 gallons of fuel so the whole trip cost an extra 500 bucks. Now how many times do you eat out or do you have to stay in a campground. I do not on my travels till I get where I am going. If you can save 40 bucks a day that way traveling then you will be able to travel still. I mean at 8 mpg and an exta 40 bucks will allow you to buy 40 gallons o fuel for 2.50 then you will be able to travel 320 miles on that 40 gallons. So if you travel only 300 miles a day which I see alot of people doing then you stay in a truck stop or a wal mart you have the same cost as if the fuel was alot cheaper or if you have to use your genny then maybe you can only go 300 miles since the last 2 gallons will be used in the genset.

I am a full-time RV'er. We are retired and live and travel in our motorhome. I was reading and agreeing with your comments until I got to the $40.00 per night staying in a campground in leu of boondoggling in a Walmart parking lot or highway rest area. I must say I have never in my entire experience of RV travel paid $40.00 for a single night stay in a campground.

Traveling along highways there are more and more small overnighter type RV campgrounds springing up all over the country in every state. Most charge $10.00 to $15.00 and offer full hook-ups. I find being able to hook up to electricity for the night to be well worth spending the $10.00 to $15.00 charge. Convienence and comfort are well worth the small price paid. I would certainly like to know where these $40.00 per night highway campgrounds are located so I make sure I pass them by and never stop.
+Quote Post
pianotuna
post Apr 28 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10403

Hi Terry,

Where do you find these 10 to 15 dollar campgrounds that offer full hookups? Thanks!

QUOTE(Terry10 @ Apr 27 2008, 11:54 PM) *

I am a full-time RV'er. We are retired and live and travel in our motorhome. I was reading and agreeing with your comments until I got to the $40.00 per night staying in a campground in leu of boondoggling in a Walmart parking lot or highway rest area. I must say I have never in my entire experience of RV travel paid $40.00 for a single night stay in a campground.

Traveling along highways there are more and more small overnighter type RV campgrounds springing up all over the country in every state. Most charge $10.00 to $15.00 and offer full hook-ups. I find being able to hook up to electricity for the night to be well worth spending the $10.00 to $15.00 charge. Convienence and comfort are well worth the small price paid. I would certainly like to know where these $40.00 per night highway campgrounds are located so I make sure I pass them by and never stop.

--------------------
Regards,

Don
+Quote Post
rodman
post Apr 28 2008, 03:06 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7857

QUOTE(Terry10 @ Apr 27 2008, 10:54 PM) *

If you think $40 a night for F/H is high, I'd avoid California. Don't know of any $10-$15 in this state.

Just my opinion,
+Quote Post
FosterImposters
post Apr 29 2008, 10:08 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17719

QUOTE(Terry10 @ Apr 27 2008, 10:54 PM) *

I would certainly like to know where these $40.00 per night highway campgrounds are located so I make sure I pass them by and never stop.

Hello Terry10. cool.gif
We too are retired, full-time RV'ers. What part of the country do you folks travel and stay?
Got a bit spoiled when we visited family in SW Iowa and toured around middle America. Could easily find full-hook-ups in the $25/$35 range. These were nice, clean city or Mom/Pop "hiway" campgrounds...not RV resorts on golf courses.
Sorry to report that's not so anymore in California, Utah along the major hiways/biways.
So...to answer your question, steer clear of the heavily populated areas (or rapidly growning areas) of our nation. rolleyes.gif
Heading north this year: Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana...perhaps Canada. Here's to finding more reasonable accomodations! biggrin.gif Cheers!
+Quote Post
Testudo
post May 4 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8819

As a follow up to my March 10th comments....

I don't remember how I answered the 'yes or no' question but I probably said "yes" because I had already made up my mind to reduce our average daily mileage on our 2008 Western trip. But lately, we decided to reduce our annual nights camped. We camp from 16 to 20 nights annually on weekends - - a friday and saturday night. We decided that we weren't getting much bang for our buck on these trips because we pretty much have to drive 400 miles round trip to get away from it all.

We expected to do 70-75 nights in 2008 and that we would be shooting for about 75 nights in the coming years. Part of the reason that we do weekends is that, for many RVers, that is _all_ they do -- and we emulated that to a large extent. Not that we didn't enjoy our weekends but by cutting most of them out, we can reduce our camper miles by 25% -- 9,000 annual miles instead of 12,000 -- that's a lot of fuel at 12 miles to the gallon. There is also a lot of complicated loading and unloading that we won't have to do (we live under an HOA so we have to push our camper into our garage).

We have about 4 weekends already reserved for this year so we will go ahead and take those trips but we aren't going to dream up any more to fill the empty weekends. Also, we plan to take off on only one or two weekends in 2009.

I've seen one-year crude oil prices forecasts from $90 to $155. At the lower price I would expect some gasoline price relief from the current figure. At the upper end, I would expect gasoline prices to be up around $4.75. While we like to go on our trips, our interests lie thousands of miles from home so probably eight to nine thousand of our annual miles (around 75% of our camper miles) is just to get "there" and back. Dropping the weekend trips should reduce that by about 3,000 miles, since they are virtually all 'get there and back' miles.
+Quote Post
Butch
post May 9 2008, 08:27 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3801

With the higher pricing of fuel as of late, we have been using the local campgrounds, under fifty miles and less than a hour from home for the last two years. We can get away just as well at the closer Cgs at a less expensive traveling cost. We are not the only ones using this practise as the local Cogs' business has increased over the last two years. We do not seem to get tired of the same old place because we meet up with and renew past friendships and of course make new ones.

--------------------
Butch & Kathy
and "Greta"
says, "me too !"
FMCA # F412606
+Quote Post
Lee and Fran
post May 9 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10865

We have found that when traveling if we find the places between the bigger towns they seem to be a lot cheaper than closer to towns. In the past year my camping costs were 2655. Thats an average of 7 dollars a night. If one stays longer at sites and also looks for places along the highways away from large populations you will find the lower prices parks running from 15 to 25 a night. And when you stay for a month or pay for a month and stay as long as you feel you got your moneys worth you can find prices under 250 a month. Thats 8 dollars or less a night per month and just stay for say three weeks of the month that is still 11 dollars a night.

--------------------
Lee and Fran
Fulltimin and luvin it
While travelin down lifes paths
stop to smell the flowers
+Quote Post
John S.
post May 10 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 207

QUOTE(Terry10 @ Apr 27 2008, 09:54 PM) *

Terry, I spent 150 a night at one resort type place. Try Cherry Hill in the DC area right of I 495 infact you can hear the noise it is 55 dollars the other option is the regional park in centerville called bull run and that is listed on this site at 40 dollars.. Also try there is one in new jersey called Liberty Harbor and some KOAs and jellystones are that much. I have also stopped at interstate overnight campgrounds. I will say out in the mid west and west it is chaper but the east coast and resort areas and beach area and many other places along the interstates on the east coast are getting there. They post a 35 dollar a night rate and then have 4 or 5 dollars in taxes.... Also in a 42 footer you do not always have as many options and I have not come across many that are in the 10 to 15 dollar range at all.

--------------------
John S.
2001 Foretravel U320
2007 Bornfree
Jeep Wrangler Toad
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post May 11 2008, 08:16 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16651

I'm paying $40 a night (well, $36 with Good Sam discount) at a small RV park in back of a motel in Spokane right now. This park is on a good bus line, I ride the bus to visit my Mom. Is it worth $40? You be the judge.....

JJ

--------------------
JJ from Pacific Northwest

Check out my blog on TOADLESS RVing!
http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me some suggestions.
+Quote Post
moqui51
post May 22 2008, 07:43 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 21436

Luckily for us we have been RV'ing for about 20 years and we have been to all 48 states when the gas was much cheaper. I am now grateful that we got the chance to do it as we have just decided this year that we will have to make a decision on whether or not we want to keep bleeding money to enjoy the RV.

We love our RV, but when you figure out the cost of Fuel, higher campground rates, higher insurance fees, higher costs of eating out once in a while, and just plain high costs, we are no longer sure we are getting enough enjoyment out of doing this.

Just today I had to decide if I really wanted to spend 16.00 in gas just to visit a farm that is a tourist attraction. If I added the other places of interest to this trip, to try to get it all done in one trip, I think the cost would be from 60.00 to 80.00 in fuel, and I can't get excited about doing that. It just doesn't seem worth it to me anymore.

We have also decided that we will no longer drive our RV to visit our relatives, but we will drive our car to visit and stay with them. smile.gif Let's hope they are agreeable to this. LOL

We no longer drive over 700 miles from our home, and the last few years have not gone more than around 500 miles from home. For us to take any longer trips I would have to convince my husband to consider working at the campgrounds, something he has resisted so far.

The high cost of fuel has really taken a toll on us the last few years, plus add to that general increasing costs of insurance...FLORIDA!

+Quote Post
Jerry S.
post May 30 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10441

Hi, it's me again.

Recently returned from our first trip of the year - 4 weeks down to MS and LA and back. This has been our annual May trip for over 10 years. To combat the increase in fuel prices, I did three things:

1. We cut the trip length by a week. This is the first time in in years that the trip has not been 5 weeks. Savings: at least $200 in park fees and road food costs.

2. We did no superfulous driving. Our route (Chicago - Memphis - Vicksburg - Marksville, LA - Kinder, LA and back the same way) was under 2100 miles. In the past we would often go other places (Biloxi, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, N.O., Branson, St. Louis, etc.) and the entire trip would be over 3,000 miles. Savings: $2-400.

3. On the Interstate portions of the trip (about 1100 miles), I kept the speed under 55 mph. I usually keep it just under 60 on interstates. I got almost 11 miles per gallon on those stretches - about a mile better than usual. Savings: minimal, maybe $25. That same efficiency could save me a couple hundred bucks this summer on my planned trip to NM, CO, WY, MT, and ID.

Additionally, on the way home last week, I paid $3.65 in MO, $3.95 in southern IL, and $4.09 just south of Chicago. Any bets on whether or not my $4, 90% full tank will be a bargain when I leave at the end of June?

Although the trip was shorter than usual and had less variety in places visited, we still enjoyed it. We will probably be less time and cost frugal when we make the same October trip since it will be our last trip of the year before returning for the long Chicago winter.

I hope my experience can help some RVers figure out ways to keep on the road. Maybe not as long or as far, but still on the road.
+Quote Post
rangiebob
post Jun 1 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13167

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jan 11 2008, 09:40 PM) *

Hi everybody,

To celebrate my one year anniversary on this forum, I thought I'd try a poll. I just hope I did the "poll" part right.

Jerry, congratulations on your one year anniversary! We just celebrated our second year of full-time living in our motor home and we haven't killed each other yet! biggrin.gif We travel around the country for our business, so in response to the questions about the price of fuel, we will just have to suck it up as part of our cost of doing business! Luckily, almost all related expenses of living in our MH are deductible.
+Quote Post
bj41
post Jun 30 2008, 05:02 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 21815

QUOTE(John S. @ May 10 2008, 11:03 PM) *

Terry, I spent 150 a night at one resort type place. Try Cherry Hill in the DC area right of I 495 infact you can hear the noise it is 55 dollars the other option is the regional park in centerville called bull run and that is listed on this site at 40 dollars.. Also try there is one in new jersey called Liberty Harbor and some KOAs and jellystones are that much. I have also stopped at interstate overnight campgrounds. I will say out in the mid west and west it is chaper but the east coast and resort areas and beach area and many other places along the interstates on the east coast are getting there. They post a 35 dollar a night rate and then have 4 or 5 dollars in taxes.... Also in a 42 footer you do not always have as many options and I have not come across many that are in the 10 to 15 dollar range at all.

Hi,
If you live on the east coast, $40.00 a night is normal and on holidays you might pay almost 60.00.
I know I live there and it is the norm, I was very surprised when we traveled out west 2 years ago and saw how much cheaper it is for campgrounds.
Over Memorial Day this year, it cost us $198.00 for 4 nights.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com