> Rving Cats
Texasrvers
post Aug 16 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

whyfly,

I sincerely hope you get a reply to your post, but I would like to point out that the topic is pretty old, and the member who talked about their pot bellied pig has not been active for a while so they may not see your post.

But welcome to the forum, and maybe someone will be able to help you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TrailerParkBoys
post Jun 4 2013, 02:03 AM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 73723

[quote name='Texasrvers' date='Feb 23 2007, 02:31 AM' post='6198']
I just read the post about New England in June which mentioned RVing with cats about which I have some comments. We have RVed at one time or another with 4 small dogs; 3 dogs and 1 cat; 3 cats; and right now 2 cats. Although we really loved our dogs, we think it is easier to travel in an RV with cats. However, we are lucky that all of our cats have been good travelers. Many cats aren't, and that may be why you don't see more of them in RVs.

The pluses are you don't have to get up in the middle of the night or go out in the cold and rain to walk them. They can use a litter box all by themselves, although many people would not like to deal with that in an RV. Also you can leave cats in the RV while you are sight seeing. I know you can leave dogs also, but you have to come back every few hours to walk and/or feed them. Cats can stay by themselves all day, and will sleep most of the time. Also we have never known them to bark while we are gone.

Minuses are most cats cannot be leash trained so you can't take them on strolls with you like you can do with dogs, and it is usually not a good idea to let them sit outside with you especially if there are dogs around. If you have an RV that must be towed (trailer or 5th wheel) it might be a bit of trouble to move a cat from one vehicle to the other, and I certainly don't think it would be a good idea for them to ride in the RV alone. We have a motor home so that is not a problem for us.

When we are driving down the road one cat rides on my lap and the other sleeps back in the bedroom. (When we had our third cat he rode on the couch.) We don't even have to stop to walk or feed them. They can handle either of those tasks while we are driving--even at 60 mph. When we set up for the night we put a pad on the dash and that becomes their den.

Finally I have to confess that our pets are the reason we decided to get an RV. We wanted to travel, and we just couldn't think of leaving them behind. We would miss them too much. An RV seemed like the best solution, and now 7 years later we're still having fun!

I feel you are right about having a cat instead of a dog in an RV but I'm a dog lover and I would be lost without my dog, he follows me everywhere.
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Jul 2 2013, 09:31 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16651

Well, since this topic has been revived, I have traveled with a cat since I started RV'ing. At first my cat did not like it. He would poop, piddle, or barf during the travel. He has gotten better, but if I'm on a winding road, he has problems.

My cat is now 15, and as of the last vet exam, he is now starting the slow descent into being CRF. Cats can still live one or a few years being CRF (renal failure). The vet said either he has to come to the vet once a week for fluids, or you sprinkle something called EPAKITIN on it's food. EPAKITIN supposedly slows down the CRF progression by causing the cat to not absorb something or whatever.....

I'm steeling myself for the eventual...... and being thankful for each day it's still alive and doing fine.

--------------------
JJ from Pacific Northwest

Check out my blog on TOADLESS RVing!
http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me some suggestions.
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post Jul 2 2013, 09:58 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26175

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jul 2 2013, 08:31 AM) *

Well, since this topic has been revived, I have traveled with a cat since I started RV'ing. At first my cat did not like it. He would poop, piddle, or barf during the travel. He has gotten better, but if I'm on a winding road, he has problems.

My cat is now 15, and as of the last vet exam, he is now starting the slow descent into being CRF. Cats can still live one or a few years being CRF (renal failure). The vet said either he has to come to the vet once a week for fluids, or you sprinkle something called EPAKITIN on it's food. EPAKITIN supposedly slows down the CRF progression by causing the cat to not absorb something or whatever.....

I'm steeling myself for the eventual...... and being thankful for each day it's still alive and doing fine.

When we started fulltiming 10 years ago I had my cat Mikey that was 16 at the time and we lost him to Renal Kidney Failure in the Rio Grande Valley. That was a tough loss but he went pretty quick once it started. I hope your kitty does a lot better. In 10 years we have only been catless for 9 months. After Mikey we got Mj's cat Casey back and he died in Maine from diabetes. We now have Bill and Bob who are 8 ( got them when they were 2 ) and travel great. The love the different places we go ( most of the time ).

--------------------
2003 Ford F-350
2003 Keystone Everest 343L
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Jul 2 2013, 05:39 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jul 2 2013, 10:31 AM) *

My cat is now 15,

JJ, I was so glad to hear that you still have your kitty. We still have our 15 year old also--soon to be 16. He gave us a scare about this time last year. He lost a lot of weight, but the vet never really found anything wrong. She said his stats weren't just good for a cat his age. they were good for any age cat. He lost about 3 1/2 pounds in 2 months before he leveled off, and he has not put it back on even though he eats well. The vet said she thinks he just lost muscle mass because of his age, and foruntately he has been fine since then.

A few years ago we "met" a cat in a shop in Albuquerque that lived to 21 years old. Hope both of ours will do that well.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com