> Pets & Parks, Campers & rv parks attitudes toward pets
Texasrvers
post Nov 25 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 25 2010, 02:24 PM) *

The December 2010 issue of Motorhome Magazine featured articles about people who travel with pets, and suggested pet etiquette.

(and, if I may be so bold as to brag...... the article of the person who travels with a cat was..... ME!!!!!!)

JJ

JJ,

What a great article! I had not found time to read the Dec. issue, but I as soon as I read your post I got the issue and read it. Your part was very interesting. It's nice you got to be a part of this. Congratulations.

TX
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Nov 25 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 16651

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Nov 25 2010, 12:48 PM) *

If is online, please post a link to it. I am giving you a great excuse to do so.

Sorry, there isn't a "public" link, I already tried. They mailed me a free copy. I can email you the article if you PM me.

JJ

--------------------
JJ from Pacific Northwest

Check out my blog on TOADLESS RVing!
http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me some suggestions.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post Nov 26 2010, 09:57 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26175

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 25 2010, 02:24 PM) *

The December 2010 issue of Motorhome Magazine featured articles about people who travel with pets, and suggested pet etiquette.

(and, if I may be so bold as to brag...... the article of the person who travels with a cat was..... ME!!!!!!)

JJ

We travel with two cats named Bill and Bob. They are great traveling companions.

--------------------
2003 Ford F-350
2003 Keystone Everest 343L
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post
RLM
post Nov 26 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8584

QUOTE(RFCN2 @ Nov 23 2010, 11:01 AM) *

My wife has a saying, "The World is full of a^&%^&%s, just try not to be one of them."

She's a very wise woman. smile.gif
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Nov 26 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Nov 26 2010, 07:57 AM) *

We travel with two cats named Bill and Bob. They are great traveling companions.

My cat is starting to be ok with it. He hated it at first, constant MEOW MEOW MEOW! Now he just grudgingly goes along with it.

JJ

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lindsay Richards
post Nov 26 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

I had the same problem with my wife in the begining, but now she is the first to be ready to go.

--------------------
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post Nov 26 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26175

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 26 2010, 06:30 PM) *

My cat is starting to be ok with it. He hated it at first, constant MEOW MEOW MEOW! Now he just grudgingly goes along with it.

JJ

Yeah, we had a cat named Casey that would start in at about 100 miles. At 150 I would give up and stop for the night. Now at 150 miles I still stop for the night. I learned a lot from Casey. Bill and Bob get in their carrier and just sleep until we stop.

--------------------
2003 Ford F-350
2003 Keystone Everest 343L
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Nov 27 2010, 09:50 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Someone just sent me a PM asking for the article. I read the message then I must have clicked the wrong thing because the message disappeared. I don't remember who sent the message.

Would you please resend, and this time include an email where I can send the article? I cannot attach the article on a PM.

JJ

--------------------

+Quote Post
MrsIslander
post Nov 30 2010, 07:03 PM
Post #39

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 52396

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Nov 20 2010, 12:21 AM) *

We also bought our motorhome so that we could take our animals with us.

biggrin.gif We, too, did the same. They are our "kids" and if they can't go, we can't go. Period. They make our trips so much more fun! I do not have idle hands due to them. They are also the reason our coach is so clean... my hands are not idle with them around. I clean constantly and wipe hinnies and paw after walks and potty breaks. We are responsible pet owners, picking up after them inside and out. Too bad there are other pet owners that do not so much mad.gif
+Quote Post
gwinn1952
post Jul 23 2011, 07:11 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 59438

It always amazes me the number of people who complain about various things while they travel. It appears that nothing makes them happy outside the confines of their own home. In my 30 years of traveling we have done so with and without pets, with and without children. By far I was happier when I was with my pets and children at the same time. We even have a pet stroller for the 2 mini dachshunds so we can go to craft shows etc. We own a 5th wheel (to have enough room for 3 dogs) and quiete frankly have more complaints about restrictions on where I can walk my dogs....we never leave them unattended to go to attractions etc. We reprimand our dogs if they bark, pick up after them and yes wonder why some owners leave their pets unattended in parks, don't pick up after them. It gives a bad name for the rest of us. We now own a 7 month Golden Retriever.......all three dogs just love camping. Sitting outside and watching what is going on in the park. We are always out walking our dogs and really enjoy the people we stop and talk with......thank you to those individuals who make our day. As for those who just frankly complain about any noise....camping is probably not for you as just being outdooors is such a joy....the beauty and the sounds of nature etc. Many times we get to a park and wonder about the people who come to camp but never get out of there MH or FifthWheel....why do you camp? You need to get out and socialize....that is what life is all about. But to those individuals who have bad mannered pets and might I also say bad mannered children....or the root of the problem bad mannered parents.....I too wish you'd stay home. Between not picking up after your pets or your children stuffing the toilets with paper or throwing garbage around....it is your job to watch and take care of not the parks.
+Quote Post
rwarner22
post Jul 24 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 21525

I am listening to a dog bark now. He/she has been at it for the last 5 hours. Ugh

--------------------
Randy and Pam
www.warnerrvnews.blogspot.com
+Quote Post
Labrador Fan
post Jul 30 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 15309

Many of the New York State Parks have Pet Loops and No-Pet Loops. This seems to work out well and solves a lot of those problems. Unfortunately, some of the parks that have 'preferred' or 'water-view' sites make those the No-Pets sites. In that case, I feel then that I am being discriminated against. sad.gif

We have two labs, and yep.... bought a bigger coach to keep us all a bit more comfortable. They love to travel with us, are well behaved while riding and while camping. I invest in PoopBags.com which are 'GREEN' and environmentally friendly. I just wish that everyone would 'walk their dog' which would help to socialize them. That would help to alleviate the 'yappies'.

Happy travels.....

Labrador Fan rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Gunnar
post Aug 3 2011, 03:34 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 28852

We camp with two dogs. One is a rotty the other a rescue from the SPCA. He is a Malamute cross. The bulk of our outings are to the same place. Once we start loading up the 5th wheel the dogs know what is happening, they get pretty excited.

Upon arrival at the campsite we are greated with dog treats for the dogs. The dogs love the walks, the river and just people watching. Of course they love the campsite owners as well because we can't pass the office without a treat and a pet.

I offered them a couple pictures of the dogs we had with us which they gladly took. I made the suggestion of starting a campers dog wall at the office. They thought it was a great idea.

Camping without the dogs is not an option for us.
+Quote Post
Fitzjohnfan
post Aug 3 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41655

Horror story...
A couple of months ago, we were camping in free campground on BLM land with our kids and dogs. One of my kids left his BB gun outside the motorhome while we went fishing for a couple of hours. When we got back, we found that other kids had come into our site, played with his gun, but worse, had shot at our dog who was probably barking at the kid(s) from the front windshield.

Lesson learned: have your kids pick up their toys when not around and take your dogs with you everywhere. $250.00 deductable (total was over $1,000 to replace windshield) later I am wiser.

--------------------
Chris G.
Westminster, CO
FMCA: F3508-S
1989 32' Southwind MH
+Quote Post
abbygolden
post Aug 3 2011, 02:04 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17389

QUOTE(Labrador Fan @ Jul 30 2011, 09:28 PM) *

Many of the New York State Parks have Pet Loops and No-Pet Loops. This seems to work out well and solves a lot of those problems. Unfortunately, some of the parks that have 'preferred' or 'water-view' sites make those the No-Pets sites. In that case, I feel then that I am being discriminated against. sad.gif

We have two labs, and yep.... bought a bigger coach to keep us all a bit more comfortable. They love to travel with us, are well behaved while riding and while camping. I invest in PoopBags.com which are 'GREEN' and environmentally friendly. I just wish that everyone would 'walk their dog' which would help to socialize them. That would help to alleviate the 'yappies'.

Happy travels.....

Labrador Fan rolleyes.gif

If only you were 100% correct about socializing your dogs to help alleviate the yapping. I have a 6 yo Golden who gets excited whenever she sees a person or other dog and she greets them by "growling" deeply. To a non-dog loving person this can seem threatening. Others understand but I still worry about it. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body and lets all the dogs play with her. After breeding, raising and showing dogs for 20 years this is the only one I've ever had like this. Luckily she is a happy go lucky dog and the joy of our life.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com