RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rv Resort Owner, What customers want???
Jerry S
post Jun 6 2013, 09:40 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10441

All I was trying to do was let the original poster know that one thing people want from a park is an clear description of a park. He asked what people wanted and I think an honest desription of the park is one of those things. As I mentioned, the use of the word resort has been a sore point on this site for years. I have read many reviews and posts where people have said that the were either deceived or disappointed because the owner called the park a resort. It is evidently important to some people who use this site.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Jun 7 2013, 06:38 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

It isn't only just on this site.

--------------------
Lindsay Richards
http://www.linandnancy.com
Formerly Lindsay Richards
+Quote Post
docj
post Jun 7 2013, 09:59 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jun 6 2013, 11:40 PM) *

All I was trying to do was let the original poster know that one thing people want from a park is an clear description of a park. He asked what people wanted and I think an honest desription of the park is one of those things. As I mentioned, the use of the word resort has been a sore point on this site for years. I have read many reviews and posts where people have said that the were either deceived or disappointed because the owner called the park a resort. It is evidently important to some people who use this site.

I strongly agree with Jerry on this. There are plenty of CG's that advertise that they are "an easy exit and entrance from the highway" and that they are "great for an overnight" while on your way to your destination. When they advertise like that I know exactly what I should hope to get--a clean site with good hookups and maybe WiFi, but not much more.

Resort is a "loaded" term that connotes, in many peoples' minds a place that offers additional amenities and is, itself, a possible destination. Sure, you could be a destination CG without any of this if you happened to be next door to Disney World, but I don't think that's what is being discussed here. If your CG offers neither a destination location or the amenities to make people want to stay for a couple of nights, let alone weeks, then I would say you haven't earned the right to call your CG a resort.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Jun 7 2013, 10:51 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

Jerry makes a good point. Who doesn’t want an honest description of the park. I agree with sammytoo that by definition a resort is a place where people go for relaxation and recreation. However, just as “campground” connotes a rustic, secluded spot possibly in the woods, “resort,” (as docj pointed out) calls to mind a place with lots of amenities and activities. It is good that there are hundreds of RV parks that provide just the basics for RV travelers (overnighters). When we are trying to get to our end destination, these are the types of parks I try to find. They serve a very good purpose, but it is not very accurate to call them a resort. I guess in today’s world the competition for business has gotten so cut throat, “Plain Jane” park owners feel they must pump up their description to get people to go there.
+Quote Post
docj
post Jun 7 2013, 07:31 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

I would bet there is a market for Plain Jane RV parks (maybe that's a good brand name other than being insulting to people named Jane). I have encountered numerous references on RV forums where people have noted interest in low-cost places to stay that don't offer anything more than a safe place to park and hookups. They would be like the Knights Inn, the Motel 6, etc of RVing. Of course, an RVer can park at a Walmart for nothing so the very cost sensitive part of the market doesn't need you but I think there are plenty of people who would be interested.

If you really were creative you could have these parks be gated and unattended with credit card readers at the entrance. Your credit card receipt would provide a 24-hour security code for the gate, etc, etc.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Jun 7 2013, 08:29 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

Wow, you may really be on to something here.
+Quote Post
QueenofQuitealot
post Jun 7 2013, 09:58 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 78972

My 2 cents as far as what I consider a campground, park, or resort;

Campground - dirt roads & dirt or gravel sites, toilet facilities (flush or other), maybe some showers. Minimal landscaping, no activities. Maybe water & electric. Dump station. Rustic. no or minimal cable channels, maybe internet

Park - gravel roads & sites maybe some with grass, picnic tables maybe a grill, possibly a pool &/or small game room. Some full hookups, some just water & electric. Dump station. Flush toilets and showers. Small store or office with some supplies. Cable & internet or wifi

Resort - Paved roads & sites with shade. Nice tables & landscaping at sites. All full hookups. Nice restrooms with nice showers. Pool, Recreation room, & some activities available. Store &/or office with good supplies and souvenirs. Cable and free wifi (everywhere in the resort).

My lists aren't all inclusive, just the things I sort of look for. I'm sure lot of places are probably somewhere betwixt & between. But I agree that 'resort' implies that there are lots of amenities & comforts.

+Quote Post
John S.
post Jul 13 2013, 07:47 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 207

You do not need to add anything. That is the type of park we seek out. I like quiet and need to hear loud parties. Wifi is important too. Country Waye in Luray VA started very small ad expanded a bit over the years but did not lose the small park feel.

--------------------
John S.
2001 Foretravel U320
2007 Bornfree
Jeep Wrangler Toad
+Quote Post
KFS
post Aug 1 2013, 09:13 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 81442

Clean, clean and clean.

Neat and tidy. Less is more. I would rather see tidy kept plain grass than contrived weedy landscaping and seasonal site lawn ornaments. How many gnomes does one site need? wink.gif

If you have seasonals try to keep them separate from overnighters. Both should be welcome but overnighters shouldn't feel like they crashed the neighborhood block party, and seasonals shouldn't have to deal with the inconvenience of our quick in and out or disappointment of our two paltry lawn chairs (we roam sans gnome wink.gif

In a campground as described by OP I would be staying for convenience more than destination. I would like a friendly welcome and *brief* visit by camp hosts the first evening just to insure we settled in to our site and all was working nicely. Drop off a map, brochure, whatever serves the guests.

Don't underestimate outlying activities and events.
We have stayed up to 40 minutes away from sport tournaments (children). Many urban/suburban areas host huge tournaments. I appreciate that $150/night block of hotel rooms but was willing to drive much further out to be able to feed my family and put my athletes to bed in their own camper. Of our team alone (20 kids) four families did this. Now multiply that by over 100 teams? My point being seek out different revenue sources. Circle your camp and start searching calling about special events you may tie into.

We were perfect guests. We paid, left early am, returned in the evening, had a nice stay and used few of the amenities.

Otherwise look at lot size. I get maximizing space but if awnings are touchin and you can hear your neighbor sipping coffee - you might want to spread out a bit (and advertise same).
+Quote Post
Luvtheroad
post Aug 1 2013, 09:27 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45805

QUOTE(KFS @ Aug 1 2013, 09:13 AM) *

If you have seasonals try to keep them separate from overnighters.

I'll second that. When we were traveling extensively, sometimes we had to be up at the crack of dawn to take off. We tried to be as quiet as possible getting ready to go but it's impossible not to make a LITTLE noise. I was sorry if I bothered our neighbors who might have taken a day off to sleep in. Now that we're seasonals this summer, I highly appreciate being in a mostly-seasonal park because now I'M the one sleeping in.....
+Quote Post
OldSoldier
post Aug 2 2013, 10:46 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5865

For me, I guess from a small park, I'd like SERVICE WITH a SMILE. Good reliable WIFI. Calbe TV for those that don't have satellite. Large, level lots.

--------------------
Tate and Becki,

Both US Army Retired

Sadie and Blue (Canine Supervisors)
+Quote Post
MontanaGypsySoul
post Aug 4 2013, 02:24 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 77971

I personally prefer those smaller parks. Things I look for are cleanliness and friendliness of the staff first and foremost. After that, I'm looking for level sites with full hook ups and decent free wifi. We are fulltimers but we do look for some amenities. We like clean facilities, preferably well lit and updated. We also love parks that do socials because it's a great chance to meet the other RVers. Kid friendly parks are important to us as well. I LOVE mature trees and a respect for wildlife.
+Quote Post
SASMITH
post Oct 20 2013, 09:59 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 39304

Am glad i came across this discussion as we just purchased such a park last year and are in the process of getting it up and going. We call it __________ RV Park. It is located on Interstate frontage and will be so listed in any lit or ads. Yes it has some noise which may or not bother some. Always thought we would like to do the work camper thing, never thought we would own one. It just kind of fell into our lap. Property originally had 52 spaces, all 30 amp. Plans are to reduce taht to 20-25. Currently have 10 spaces ready which will accommodate any size rig. Wanted to do something different, so we are installing RV shelters on sites. Would like to hear from ya'll as to whether or not you would be willing to pay a little extra for a site with a cover? We are talking about 24 wide x 42 long covers, you can park your RV and vehicle under. Thanks for all the tips from previous posts, it has given me much food for thought in planning for future amenities.
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Oct 21 2013, 07:48 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

A RV shelter would not be an amenity for me. Not any reason I can not really name a reason. I would rather have a 50 amp site.

--------------------
Lindsay Richards
http://www.linandnancy.com
Formerly Lindsay Richards
+Quote Post
mdcamping
post Oct 21 2013, 09:30 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14145

Can't see a reason for the transient RVer or camper where their rv's are already exposed to the weather. Maybe okay for seasonal's.

Seems the #1 want that I always read is Bigger sites with ease of access to those sites, 50 amp service, Full Hookups... of course do what you can afford....

Mike
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com