RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Internet Solution Using Cell Service, Smartphone with hotspot the way to go?
Denali
post Jul 21 2012, 04:09 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2163

QUOTE(jan-n-john @ Jul 21 2012, 12:23 PM) *

My question is, what if anything does a stand alone MiFi do that a hotspot capable smartphone can't do, in particular, the likely capability of the upcoming iPhone5? Since one needs a smartphone anyway (I do anyway), is there any reason not to use the WiFi built into that device and its data plan, and avoid a separate (and costly) device, possibly with its own data plan or at least an additional access charge (for example, $20 per month access charge for a Verizon Jetpack or other cell modem/USB/etc. device in the Verizon Share Everything plan))?
Good question.

The only reason we pay for a separate USB modem is that we don't want to tie up one of our two phones using it for Internet access all the time. One or the other of us is on the Internet much of the day and losing that access (as well as access to our wireless printer) when one of us takes the phone away from the rig for several hours would be unacceptable. I like to take the smartphone with me when I leave the rig so I can have it for Internet access, reading library books, etc.

--------------------
Dave Rudisill
Fulltimer since 2002
2004 Beaver Monterey
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
WVA3185
post Jul 22 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2840

You may want to take a look at this company if you are interested in a strictly dedicated data device. The prices for their devices is not to bad and they have no contract plans. I have the 4GLTE MiFi device for $70 a month. When I got this plan they had a special going that you got 10GB of 4G data. If however there is no 4G available and/or sporadic 4G service it doubles to 20GB per month. I get solid 3G service here at the seasonal site in WV which is about 20 miles from the closet larger city. I had AT&T but could only get edge service and I was committed to a 2 year contract. I also had a Sprint USB modem which got good 3G service but it would only work for 8 minutes and then you had to unplug the modem and start all over again. Sprint tech was never able to fix it.

Millenicom
+Quote Post
BJMA
post Jul 26 2012, 05:51 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15347

I have Cincinnati Bell Wireless. CBW is a little different. I have a smartphone with the unlimited data plan (unlimited roaming etc) but I do not have the "tethering feature", as they charge extra for that. SO, rather than use the tethering built into the phone, I use an Android app that gives me tethering via the unlimited data plan.

I also use the WiFi Hotspot feature -- A LOT!. We sell our stuff at trade shows, again, without tethering, I just turn on the WiFi Hotspot and the computers share the phones data plan.

It is not a T1 transfer speed, but it works and it is cheaper than a dedicated data card.

That is what I am doing right now, while stuck in traffic on I694, I am able to send this post. Laptop using WiFi to the Hotspot..... and I do not need to sit in the Holiday Inn Express parking lot.

Bob

--------------------
NOT RACIST
NOT VIOLENT
Just NOT SILENT anymore!
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Jul 26 2012, 06:23 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

I use an Android app that gives me tethering via the unlimited data plan.

Which app are you using?

--------------------
Lindsay Richards
http://www.linandnancy.com
Formerly Lindsay Richards
+Quote Post
BJMA
post Jul 26 2012, 08:42 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15347

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jul 26 2012, 07:23 PM) *

Which app are you using?

one is called FoxFi, but the one I use most is just called AndroidTethering. I found it at the Android Apps site, not Amazon.

--------------------
NOT RACIST
NOT VIOLENT
Just NOT SILENT anymore!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com