RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Info On Fuel Mpg For Vehicle Pulled Trailer Or Motorhome., Comparing Motorhome and Truck Towed Trailers MPG
Kirk
post Apr 1 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3594

Welcome aboard, Elkhunter! It is good to have you here. There are a lot of veterans in the group. I am Viet Nam era and exNavy. We have three sons all exArmy with our youngest recently retired from 24 years service.

On the RV choice, there is a lot to consider. I think that you might get more help if you were to also read the forums of the Escapee's RV Club.

--------------------
Good travelin !..............Kirk
Professional Volunteer
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KentuckyCampin
post Apr 4 2012, 10:54 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 29148

I have a 2011 30' jayco jayflight swift and tow it with a 2011 Chevy silverado 2500 hd. It has the 6.0 gas engine w/6spd auto tranny. Last year I kept track of all the mileage just to see what I got, and it is right around 10-11 mpg. We towed from KY to FL last fall and thats what I got down and back as well. I drive this truck as my daily driver and only get about 14 mpg, so a 3 or 4 mpg drop towing a trailer wasnt too bad.

--------------------
The Bakers
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2011 Jayco Jayflight swift 264BH

Camping, its not a hobby, its a way of life!!
+Quote Post
Bud and Donna
post Jun 27 2012, 12:35 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 70653

QUOTE(campinggirl1964 @ Aug 6 2011, 07:15 AM) *

Greetings:

Tow vehicle: 2000 Ford F350, 7.3l turbo diesel
RV: 2006 Silverback 33LBHTS, 35', 10,500 lbs dry

2 recent trips this year:
Ontario - Florida: averaged 11.6 MPG for entire trip
Ontario - Massachusetts - Ohio: averaged 12.0 MPG

Highway speed is typically 60 - 62 MPH

+Quote Post
Bud and Donna
post Jun 27 2012, 12:50 AM
Post #34

We are seniors who used to have motorhomes but dropped out and have been working .... Would like to be able to go back into Rv ng before we are too old to do anything. We know we want a motorhome, as like to be able to bake, cook, etc on the road. However are concerned about cost, mpg, right choice for this stage of our lives. I'm thinking 28 ft class c for economy, small foot print that can park just about anywhere - my hubby is thinking diesel, and large, class a...... Any advise from those that are there? We are relatively low income so need to make the wisest decision possible and from reading the forum, it sounds like mpg is still in the 8mpg level. Is there anything new in this area or is that still true? Are there any really good choices for this stage of our lives or anything to steer clear of?

Thanks for any nut you may be able to give!
+Quote Post
pianotuna
post Jun 27 2012, 07:33 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10403

Hi,

How about a 30 foot class A? It may have better fuel economy than a class C and the Ford v-10 would do about 10 mpg. If going to diesel on a sprinter chassis that could be 15 mpg--but the upfront costs are so much higher that there are no real savings over the life of the RV.

--------------------
Regards,

Don
+Quote Post
vincee
post Jun 27 2012, 09:45 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 36179

A 28ft class C is not going to get any better mileage than a smaller class A gas and the footprint is going to be about the same too. Many women like C's because they drive somewhat like a Ford van. When my wife and I bought our 32ft class A she too really wanted a smaller C because she thought she would not be able to drive the higher profile body that the A provides. Five years later, she wouldn't think of anything but a class A, she often takes our rig out on sisters weekends touring around the New York State Finger Lakes region of wineries. As far as cost goes, there are a ton of older A's out there with low mileage (not always a true indicator of use because some are parked in campgrounds for the season or extended periods of time) and little wear and tear for not alot of money, especially if you forgo options like slide outs. Good luck on your quest and keep us informed how you make out and fills us in when the adventures start again.
+Quote Post
Bud and Donna
post Jun 29 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jun 27 2012, 06:33 AM) *

Hi,

How about a 30 foot class A? It may have better fuel economy than a class C and the Ford v-10 would do about 10 mpg. If going to diesel on a sprinter chassis that could be 15 mpg--but the upfront costs are so much higher that there are no real savings over the life of the RV.

Thank you for the info - you bring up good points that we will consider. We had ruled out diesels just because of the cost. I guess I'd hoped for better than 10 Mpg.... We'd had a truck & camper with 17 mpg but are too old to climb over the cab etc at this time..... And don't want to go back to a 5th wheel & the hassles as didn't go out because of the hassles so have least come to the conclusion we are MH people.... Just a bit scared of making a mistake at this point of our lives. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Bud and Donna
post Jun 29 2012, 11:26 AM
Post #38

QUOTE(vincee @ Jun 27 2012, 08:45 AM) *

A 28ft class C is not going to get any better mileage than a smaller class A gas and the footprint is going to be about the same too. Many women like C's because they drive somewhat like a Ford van. When my wife and I bought our 32ft class A she too really wanted a smaller C because she thought she would not be able to drive the higher profile body that the A provides. Five years later, she wouldn't think of anything but a class A, she often takes our rig out on sisters weekends touring around the New York State Finger Lakes region of wineries. As far as cost goes, there are a ton of older A's out there with low mileage (not always a true indicator of use because some are parked in campgrounds for the season or extended periods of time) and little wear and tear for not alot of money, especially if you forgo options like slide outs. Good luck on your quest and keep us informed how you make out and fills us in when the adventures start again.

Thank you for the input - I've driven a 30 ft class a befor just thinking of being able to use it more often for things like overnight visits to the kids, etc and most of all gas mileage. As funds are limited - want to be able to use and enjoy... Not just park. smile.gif
+Quote Post
vincee
post Jun 30 2012, 08:03 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 36179

Unless you guys go with a Sprinter type class B (large conversion van) you are going to be hard pressed to get any kind of mileage over 10mpg. A side note, I have gotton as high as 11.92mpg on my 32ft A by taking two lane roads and driving at a leisurely pace. As far as not wanting to make a mistake, if you look, touch, fiddle and poke and talk, talk, talk, you'll be ok. Your not new to RV'ing so you already are ahead of the curve in knowing what to look for, your needs and likes etc. Go and do it (like the Nike ad) take a chance and you may surprise yourself on how much you do know and how good your judgement is, This darn Beautiful country of ours is out there with a large Open sign waiting for your arrival! Enjoy and good luck.
+Quote Post
Bud and Donna
post Jul 1 2012, 12:49 AM
Post #40

QUOTE(vincee @ Jun 30 2012, 07:03 AM) *

Unless you guys go with a Sprinter type class B (large conversion van) you are going to be hard pressed to get any kind of mileage over 10mpg. A side note, I have gotton as high as 11.92mpg on my 32ft A by taking two lane roads and driving at a leisurely pace. As far as not wanting to make a mistake, if you look, touch, fiddle and poke and talk, talk, talk, you'll be ok. Your not new to RV'ing so you already are ahead of the curve in knowing what to look for, your needs and likes etc. Go and do it (like the Nike ad) take a chance and you may surprise yourself on how much you do know and how good your judgement is, This darn Beautiful country of ours is out there with a large Open sign waiting for your arrival! Enjoy and good luck.

We may have found the one, a 2000 Bounder 31W with 14k miles. It is on a Ford V10 and very clean, good response & ride. They want $27k for it... Say it should get 10-12 mpg if you use cruise control & good judgement. Am excited & scared....
+Quote Post
Bud in Florida
post Jul 8 2012, 01:42 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11911

Great that you are excited Bud and Donna. If you buy used it is hard to make a mistake. You can usually get most of your money back if you take care of the unit. I have a 36 foot Damon on a Ford chassis and get around 8 to 8.5 even when towing my car. My solution to the high gas prices is to stay places longer thereby spreading the fuel cost over a longer time. Also, you can save with discount camping places like Passport America, and State and National parks. When you add it all up, traveling by RV is still not a bad deal.
Suppose you went on a week long trip 1000 miles from your home. If you take your RV the gas RT would be about 235 gals @ $3.25 = $763. If you went by car you would use say 90 gal of gas @ $3.25 or $260. Then lets say you spend $25 a night in camping fees or $175, but you would have to spend $75 for motel rooms in a nice place or $525. Plus meals. Eating out vs cooking at the campground that could be a savings of $200. So the RV trip was $763 + $175 = $938 and the trip by car was $785 and you have an additional savings on food so both trips cost about the same and you have your own bed!!!
+Quote Post
Wind Runner
post Jul 16 2012, 07:34 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 70496

QUOTE(elkhntr4evr @ Apr 1 2012, 03:58 AM) *
I am coming back to Fort Hood, TX so if anyone knows of any good deals there and they don't mind helping out a soon to be retiree, it would be greatly appreciated.

You should be just about ready to rotate home now, so my recommendation for the Ft. Hood area is to investigate units in the retirement areas of Arizona. Dry climate, so fewer corrosion problems. A used, good condition low-milage unit will suffer less depreciation than new, at the cost of spending time and money for some inevitable repairs. Even brand-new units will need some repairs under warranty; it just goes with the territory.

Again, thanks for your service. Enjoy your time at home.
+Quote Post
jmcf46
post Jul 19 2012, 03:08 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 59128

I pulled a 6900 lb 5th wheeler to Maine and averaged 11 mpg with a high of 13 mpg and low of 10 mpg. The truck is a 1/2 ton toyota 5.7l tundra. It pulled just fine even in moderate upgrades. I chose the 26sab 5th wheeler since it is rated for a 1/2 ton. If I had a 3/4 ton might have pulled easier with better milage.
+Quote Post
Wydglide
post Jul 19 2012, 09:45 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 49032

2004 Dodge Durango, 5.7L Hemi.
2009 30ft Keystone Hideout. Approx. 7,000 loaded.
Wind at my back avg. 11.5 mpg.
Head wind as low as 7.5 mpg.
Durango tows great with the 365 hp Hemi.
+Quote Post
John S.
post Jul 26 2012, 02:05 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 207

I have owned 6 different RVs and lots of different trucks and jeeps. The milage on an RV is not the issue really. Your roads will determine that. You go to the mountains or drive in them you are going to get worse mileage. In the scope of things you just drive there and park and drive the tow vehicle or the toad around more miles than you drive. If you are driving lots of miles than it makes a difference. I put on over 30,000 miles a year on my motorhome but most MHs and trailers are lucky to get 5000 miles a year on them. If you got 10 miles to the gallon or 8 miles to the gallon that means it will be the difference of 125 gallons of fuel over the course of the year. you are talking a difference of 437 dollars a year. If that is a factor in your decision to RV then I would not bother and get a fuel efficient car and stay in a hotel. It is cheaper to do that than to RV. If you are driving a lot of miles then milage might factor in a bit more but then other things factor in more.

--------------------
John S.
2001 Foretravel U320
2007 Bornfree
Jeep Wrangler Toad
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com