Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Special License For Rv Drivers
fpullanosr
post May 5 2013, 06:42 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 42329

How do you feel about RV drivers being required to be tested and or schooled and issued a special license? Why do you feel that way?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post May 5 2013, 07:04 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14080

I have mixed feelings about it. It wouldn't hurt anyone to be checked to be certain that they are capable of driving/pulling an RV. Most people I see would pass the test easily. Since we manage a campground it is frightening to watch many of them pull in. We had one man drive through a drainage ditch with his 5th wheel. He damaged our property and I'm certain he did damage to his rig. He thought it was funny and said "that's what insurance is for". We have people come in with conversion vans that cannot even back into a campsite even though there is plenty of room. With those folks I can't help but wonder how they could be allowed to drive any vehicle.
+Quote Post
fpullanosr
post May 5 2013, 07:15 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dalsgal @ May 5 2013, 09:04 AM) *

I have mixed feelings about it. It wouldn't hurt anyone to be checked to be certain that they are capable of driving/pulling an RV. Most people I see would pass the test easily. Since we manage a campground it is frightening to watch many of them pull in. We had one man drive through a drainage ditch with his 5th wheel. He damaged our property and I'm certain he did damage to his rig. He thought it was funny and said "that's what insurance is for". We have people come in with conversion vans that cannot even back into a campsite even though there is plenty of room. With those folks I can't help but wonder how they could be allowed to drive any vehicle.

Dalsgal,

Thank you for your input. I have observed similar occurances which promted me to start this topic.

I agree that most of us are good safe drivers but its the few that arent good drivers that cause harm, damage and injury to others.
+Quote Post
Fitzjohnfan
post May 5 2013, 08:13 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41655

FYI, if you drive a larger motor home, 26000lbs or more, you are required to get a special license in TX. If you don't get this license, your insurance can deny any claims involving an accedent since you are not properly licenced for the vehicle you are driving.

I wish more states would adopt some special rules like this for drivers of large motor homes and 5th wheels.

--------------------
Chris G.
Westminster, CO
FMCA: F3508-S
1989 32' Southwind MH
+Quote Post
Ted Morgen
post May 5 2013, 06:21 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 21292

QUOTE(fpullanosr @ May 5 2013, 06:42 AM) *

How do you feel about RV drivers being required to be tested and or schooled and issued a special license? Why do you feel that way?

I don't feel we need any more licensing or testing than we already have. Accident rates among RV drivers are not high as indicated by the insurance rates. We do not need any more laws.
Ted
+Quote Post
fpullanosr
post May 5 2013, 06:51 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ted Morgen @ May 5 2013, 08:21 PM) *

I don't feel we need any more licensing or testing than we already have. Accident rates among RV drivers are not high as indicated by the insurance rates. We do not need any more laws.
Ted

In your comments regarding rate, are you including all ages or rate per miles driven?
+Quote Post
joez
post May 5 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19489

A special license for RV drivers, IMO, would not improve the driving skills of RV drivers. Every auto driver is supposed to have a license, and there are many car drivers without the skill or sense to drive safely or competently. As much as we would like, we cannot wave a magic wand and regulate and license common sense and motor skills or experience.
+Quote Post
fpullanosr
post May 5 2013, 07:36 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(joez @ May 5 2013, 09:27 PM) *

A special license for RV drivers, IMO, would not improve the driving skills of RV drivers. Every auto driver is supposed to have a license, and there are many car drivers without the skill or sense to drive safely or competently. As much as we would like, we cannot wave a magic wand and regulate and license common sense and motor skills or experience.

Joez, Do you think that if RV Drivers were tested on ability and knowledge tha it would improve the their skills. After all younger drivers of commercial trucks need to pass a test for a speial license.
+Quote Post
RLM
post May 6 2013, 09:07 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8584

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ May 5 2013, 09:13 AM) *

FYI, if you drive a larger motor home, 26000lbs or more......, I wish more states would adopt some special rules like this for drivers of large motor homes and 5th wheels.

What would those "special rules" be? With all due respect, why is 26K pounds a requirement for a special license? Can a driver run over and kill another driver in a compact 3000 pound car? Why is 26K a magic number? From your comments, I assume that your rig is less than that GVWR and that you are very careful in it's operation. That is commendable. Please do me the same courtesy as I carefully operate my rig which is more than that..regardless of the license I have been issued.

Have you ever parallel parked your rig? My state requires that I parallel park my over 26K RV as part of the driving test. Who, in their right mind, parallel parks a RV??? Please know that none of the testing required me to know anything about the RV. A normal CDL license procedure in all states requires a knowledge of the rig systems. I did not have to demonstrate that knowledge for my "special" license. That gives me the defendable opinion that the law makers have never been inside an RV much less driven one and "special rules" for licensing, at least in my state, are BS.

QUOTE(joez @ May 5 2013, 08:27 PM) *

Well said. Until the exams and road tests actually measure competent experience and skill in driving a big rig, with the possibility of failure, then one should be aware that current laws are designed more to get your license fee money than to test your ability to actually be competent to drive a big rig. If that is not a true statement then perhaps readers can point to the many RV owners who have actually failed the "special' license testing procedure.
+Quote Post
B. Kidd
post May 8 2013, 07:21 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55883

Ditto what 'joez' said.
+Quote Post
Galli
post May 12 2013, 04:03 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4833

QUOTE(fpullanosr @ May 5 2013, 05:42 AM) *

Very interesting question and I am bivalent for an answer; basically I am convinced that there is a big difference between driving a car and an RV and at the moment that you start of pulling an RV or driving a Motor home, there should be a preliminary owner’s test to verify its knowledge in what’s doing.
My reasons for opting for this license is that, I noted many person at the driving seat that don’t have a slightest idea in how to backtrack or park the vehicle or make difficult maneuvers, the vehicle’s weight versus the capacity of the truck and/or weight allowance of the RV and not every time there is a guy from the resort to help you in this function.
I don ‘t consider necessary a repeated test but a once time exam that would let you know what is proper and what would be a no, no.
A few years ago, in British Columbia, Canada, the highway patrol were stopping many RVs and Motor Home because carrying more weight than what was allowed and many drivers didn’t have a clue regarding the danger of pooling a weight superior of the unit capacity.
+Quote Post
campergal
post May 13 2013, 03:02 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16795

Hi there

I feel that if you are towing something as long as an 18 wheeler there should be additional training/licensing required re: parking, turning, weight issues, backing up. Commercial truckers are required to take extensive training prior to hauling and I feel it should be ensured that RVers have a basic knowledge about how to handle a rig. Having said that, most people who haul would have no problem getting this implemented but I agree with Dalsgal...we see many people come in to our park and hit things and back over things because they don't have the skills necessary.

I also feel every woman should be able to drive a truck with a trailer on it or their motorhome just in case....I'm guilty of NOT driving mine and a goal for me is to learn. You never know when your partner will be unable to drive and you will have to.

+Quote Post
Lindsay Richards
post May 13 2013, 09:45 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

You never know when your partner will be unable to drive and you will have to.

I have been telling my wife that for years. She says that she will learn real quick then. I did get her to drive about 100 yards in a parking lot once, but no more. I think RV dealer foster the idea that there is nothing to it. We rented a 27 foot Class A before we bought our first motor home and I was scared to death. I looked up some short videos on the internet, but back then, it was not as extensive as today. I think if you had to pay and then take a course of some type, a lot of people would be diswayed. It is not only the driving, but all of the interior systems that folks don't have a clue about.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Pat and Jerry
post May 16 2013, 07:56 PM
Post #14

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 66439

QUOTE(fpullanosr @ May 5 2013, 07:42 AM) *

We agree there should be some additional testing and licensing. We drive a 40' motor coach diesel and pull a travel car. We have seen far too many people who can barely walk and or use walkers, scooters get out of rigs. Then again some very able bodied people who are very poor on the roads and high ways really should be tested and or licensed. Just because folks can afford a rig does not mean they should be driving one..reaction times vary and ther should be some special vehicle license just as there are for big rig trucks. I suppose this might negatively impact the RV industry, but safety on the roads is important.

I have taken the vehicle rig driving course for women at the FLeetwood and FMCA rallies. Just in case although Jerry is the absolute confirmed driver. But it is foolish for any woman to think she doesn't need to know how to drive. On the other hand Good Sam and others offer insurance to cover a substitute driver for emergencies when smeone cannot drive but in an emergency for even a short time, women should be able to drive their rig.
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post May 31 2013, 06:13 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16651

I think it's a good idea, and there should be a differentiation between Class A and Class C or B. However, I will be upset if it actually happens and I have to go through the fol de rol.

--------------------
JJ from Pacific Northwest

Check out my blog on TOADLESS RVing!
http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me some suggestions.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com