2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wi-Fi Ripoffs, Free Modem Connections Being Abandoned
RedHatter_B
post Jul 23 2004, 08:35 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 733

If you want to know more about the portable unit, go to http://maxwellsatellite.com/ or call Glenn or Margo at 1-800-860-6070
Tell them Barb and Don @ Morgan Hill send you...
wink.gif

We have put the system up and down now half dozen times without problems, monthly fee is $59, we love it! We are at Yosemite right now, no cell service but we have the Internet and email.

laugh.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ekpate
post Jul 29 2004, 08:36 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 634

biggrin.gif We just returned home to Fl. after a 6 week cross country trip. We found that most campgrounds have free dial up modem available to all guest, you supply the cable. The few that did have WiFi were almost always in or near large towns or cities. Maybe 2 of the parks we stayed at the WiFi was free, however we were just happy to find parks that had WiFi at all and were more than happy to pay a few bucks a night to check bank accounts and email family.

WiFi is nice to have but we travel with children and when it comes to selecting a campground WiFi free or not will loose over a pool and playground anyday.
+Quote Post
Sal_Workamper
post Jun 16 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 3234

Here's a list of verified, FREE WiFi (yes Matilda, free and in the comfort of your rv) KOAs:

Point South, SC
Anderson/Lake Hartwell, SC

Bristol/Kingsport, TN
Chattanooga South, TN/GA

Fayetteville/Wade, NC

Hagerstown/Snug Harbor, MD

Natural Bridge/Lexington, VA
Staunton/Verona, VA

Louisville South, KY
Bowling Green, KY

Springfield, IL
Chicago NW, IL

Rochester/Marion, MN

St. Ignace/Mackinac Isaland, MI

Hayti/Portageville, MO

Their actual locations can be found here KOA Website

S. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Timelode
post Jun 24 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 1871

We normally prefer rustic, state park type camping. However, we just returned from a two week trip that took us from the mid-west to the Pacific coast. We put on almost 6000 miles. We wanted hotel style conveniences and hookups so we could easily use our trailer's facilities, so we stayed in RV parks along the way. We took our laptop with us, not so much for Internet access, but to store photos. My hobby is photography and I have a nice digital SLR. That translates into many gigabytes of files.

What we did find was that when WIFI is offered, there is a mix of free and nominal charges. I didn't think that the $4 per day or $12 per week charged was excessive. Not everyone needs or wants WIFI so I don't have an issue paying for it. You also have to realize that there is not only a monthly fee that the park has to pay for, they usually have to pay to have the infrasturcture put in. That is the router and wireless access points. Not terrribly expensive, but the cost is there non-the-less.

We really didn't take advatage of the WIFI except to check weather.com, but while making changes to our itinerary, I could see the value in being able to check woodalls.com and rvparkreviews.com. However, having any kind of Internet access is not going to sway our decision to stay somewhere or not. Reputation, general facilities, and cleanliness are the more important criteria.
+Quote Post
Galli
post Dec 12 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4833

QUOTE(seabirdrv @ Jun 15 2004, 08:11 PM)
Well this is an RV Park owner that has always offered a free dial up modem connection for our guests.  Our park also has high speed cable access through our local cable company.  Installation is free and the monthly rate is $34.95.  The only benefit that we see from that is a referral discount for each RV site expanded basic cable TV package that we provide for Free to our guests.

For a while we even offered FREE use of a nice Dell computer connected to a local ISP for people to check email and browse the internet.  Then one of our guests thought they would like to have the computer and ripped the computer, security cable and all right from the wall in broad daylight.  We still provide the free
modem line for guests to use but now all guests must provide their own computer equipment.

Sheila
Sea Bird RV Park
smile.gif

I sympathize with your problem Sheila, unfortunately when dealing with the public, you will always encounter some one not educated or destructive and this, unfortunately, is becoming part of the cost to run a business.
I understand that you were providing the use of a computer at not extra cost and I believe that, this extra facility without a management control on the unit, was not a wise thing to do. An RVier in need of being regularly in contact with the outside world, should be equipped with the necessary tools for it.
I have been staying in different campgrounds in the USA and Canada and most of them provide the Internet wireless service only, yes, most of them do provide access to their own Internet and computer but only under the supervision of staff and within specific time frame.
I hope that this experience will not bring you to the side of those dictatorial RV Resorts..... Just for the record, I was once in Utah and to access my own site, I hate to use and entry plastic card which was coded with 20 minutes delay between passages; when I asked a reason for this restriction, I was told that would prevent people to come in with two or more vehicles with one card only. Furthermore, we were not allow to have non-resident friends on our 5th wheeler for dinner.
There are extremes in every business and in my opinion a reasonable balancing will benefit the Park owner and the Rver.
+Quote Post
Nolan
post Dec 19 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1860

I made the mistake a couple times when calling a campground and asking if they had Wi-Fi. Then getting there and finding out we had to pay to get it. I refuse to pay extra for Wi-Fi. So now we ask if it is "free". If it is the campground gets our business if we have to pay extra we pass them on by.

--------------------
Nolan and JoAnn
2000 Kenworth T600
2004 Hitchhiker Champagne
2009 Toyota Matrix
http://2-on-the-road.blogspot.com/
Have one motorcycle loader for sale
+Quote Post
John Harrelson
post Mar 14 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 4864

Cingular, GC83, ....FREE equipment and setup...
with monthly fee ranging from only $19.99 per month to $59.99 .

With the $59.99 plan you get

....unlimited 24/7/365 access
....unlimited data transfer
....no roaming charges
....no long distance charges

and the data air card can be used like a second cell phone for no extra cost..

And Cingular has the most coverage of all the cell phone/data companies in America.

You never have to worry about looking for or paying for WI-FI..
no need to look for a public library,
no need to look for a coffee shop with WI-FI access

and you can pay your bill online or via snail mail as you choose.

There is no heavy satellite dish to lug around and try to set up in the rain, snow, wind... etc... and you don't have to pay thousands of dollars for the equipment..

Did I mention that the GC-83 air card is FREE ?

I have found only one or two places in America where I could not get a signal.

Generally if you can get a cell phone signal, you can get an air card signal..

Something to think about before spending big time money or being aggravated with having to pay for WI-FI..

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

John
+Quote Post
danshula
post Mar 17 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 5197

Hi,
If you go toMy Webpage
You can check in advance if it is free or what is the fee.
Enjoy

--------------------
F-250 1994,turbo diesel,2wd,auto,7.3 LT,long bed,4.10.
Cruiser 2006 CF29CK 3 slides.
Rving 5-6 months every summer since 2002.
MORNING-IS WHEN I WAKE UP.
My Webpage
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com