Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Traffic/train Noise, Report or Not?
edcornflake
post Aug 1 2012, 11:08 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 42869

You should definitely mention it, and be reasonable about just how loud it is. If you're inside with the AC on and you can't hear the TV over the highway/train noise, that's a little different than hearing engine breaking every 30 or 40 minutes 8 miles away when the windows are open. Provide enough info that folks can make an informed decision based on what they can tolerate.

I've mentioned before, one of the most pleasant evenenings I've had camping was sitting outside with my Father in Law, just listening to I 95 in NC. It was hypnotic. Other folks might take the exact same sound and write that it was an incessant hum from which there is no escape.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Wink
post Aug 2 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26986

I love train noise if it is N & S Corp. It reminds me where my retirment check comes from. rolleyes.gif
As said if it sounds like it is coming Thur the camp ground make a note of it.If you can just hear it there is not to many places you can`t hear a train horn.Also if the camp ground says close to Interstate what ever I would think you would think you could hear traffic on it.Also if it is in a city like Daytona KOA you will hear traffic. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Home is where we park it.
+Quote Post
a.d
post Aug 2 2012, 03:44 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 55860

I believe that noise reporting is very inportant . I personally do not care if traffic noise is or is not the parks fault or if the park can or cannot do any thing about it. I just know while traveling, I need a good night sleep. It helps to protect me and my significant other and others from me on the road, from potential accidents do to lack of sleep. Also makes for a much more pleasent trip. So keep reporting on the noise.
+Quote Post
mdcamping
post Aug 2 2012, 06:11 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14145

If I notice there's a noise issue whether its highway, train, or loud inconsiderate camping neighbors I will post it in my reviews and rate the review accordingly...That being said with just one exception have never had an issue where noise was over the top.

Mike
+Quote Post
jan-n-john
post Aug 3 2012, 12:44 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17691

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Aug 2 2012, 08:11 PM) *

If I notice there's a noise issue whether its highway, train, or loud inconsiderate camping neighbors I will post it in my reviews and rate the review accordingly...That being said with just one exception have never had an issue where noise was over the top.

Mike

I think most would agree that it is not only OK to report train or highway noise, it is the only fair thing to do -- the purpose of reviews is to let others know what a place is like so they have information to make a better decision whether or not they want to use it. Why a certain place has a certain characteristic, such as road noise, is not relevant; all that matters is that others have the opportunity to be aware of the conditions.

I don't think that applies to noisy neighbors, however. Unless it is a place where the noisy neighbors are permanent, then reporting on that experience has little value for readers of that review. IMO, reviews on this website aren't a place to vent -- the purpose is to convey useful and pertinent information to others, and should be kept to that.
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post Aug 3 2012, 02:34 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14080

I agree that the noise should be commented on. With us, noise from trains and traffic isn't a bother at all but for some it can be really nerve racking. The only time I could see commenting about noisy neighbors is if it gets really bad, was reported to management and nothing was done. I am a manager of a CG and people find out really fast that when quiet time gets here it WILL be enforced. I cannot control traffic or train noises but I can, and will, control noisy campers. Any manager that won't do that deserves to have comments made about their lack of attention to quiet time rules.
+Quote Post
MaineDon
post Aug 4 2012, 05:26 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10707

I am happy to see that there seems to be a consensus here: traffic/train noise (or lack thereof) is relevant for posting. Even for those two who noted that some people love to listen to trains/traffic noise, if (when true) we post "the trains honked all night", then the train lovers will know where to stay.....lol! I am glad to see that many others feel as we do. Namely, that a good night's sleep is essential to enjoyable RV travel. Thanks for your replies everyone.
+Quote Post
B. Kidd
post Aug 4 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55883

A retired train engineer that I met a few years ago said that regulations require that the whistle should not be blown for more then 4 concecutive seconds at a time.
Sooo much for regulations................ laugh.gif .
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post Aug 5 2012, 05:33 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Aug 4 2012, 08:07 PM) *

A retired train engineer that I met a few years ago said that regulations require that the whistle should not be blown for more then 4 concecutive seconds at a time.
Sooo much for regulations................ laugh.gif .

For a few months we had an engineer that would start his horn 2 miles before getting near us (no crossings within that area) and not let off of it until he had gone over the crossing over a mile past us. Unless we could give them the engine number they "couldn't" do anything about it. Since it was done about 4 AM those days of the week that he came through it was a bit difficult for anyone to provide them with that number.
+Quote Post
mdcamping
post Aug 5 2012, 12:32 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Aug 5 2012, 07:33 AM) *

For a few months we had an engineer that would start his horn 2 miles before getting near us (no crossings within that area) and not let off of it until he had gone over the crossing over a mile past us. Unless we could give them the engine number they "couldn't" do anything about it. Since it was done about 4 AM those days of the week that he came through it was a bit difficult for anyone to provide them with that number.

Sounds like he had to much coffee!! biggrin.gif

Mike
+Quote Post
B. Kidd
post Aug 5 2012, 05:28 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55883

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Aug 5 2012, 11:32 AM) *

Sounds like he had to much coffee!! biggrin.gif

Mike

Or more like that the engineer knew someone nearby and was just sayin' 'howdy'. An engineer that runs by our winter retreat park in Yuma knows someone in the RV park and lets him and the rest of us know when he is travellin' by.
Sort of a different take on "3:10 to Yuma". But when it is 3:10 a.m., at times I wish that he'd leave us retired people alone and not remind us that he is still working! ohmy.gif
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post Aug 5 2012, 06:12 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

We always thought he might have an ex that he was trying to get back at. Once in a while wouldn't have been bad but several times a week for months got to be old real fast.
+Quote Post
Jerry S.
post Aug 5 2012, 10:29 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10441

Generally, I will comment on train or traffic noise if I notice it. I usually only mention it not because it bothers me, but because it is evidently very important to a majority of the folks here. I have seen many reviews where the noise complaint comes up in a review of a park with which I am familiar and have never noticed the noise in the park. Being a lifelong urban dweller, it takes a higher level of noise for me to notice it than the typical forum member on this site. So, if I mention noise it is probably enough to bother most folks here. That said, shortly after this thread began, I did a review of the municipal RV park/CG in Two Harbors, MN but failed to mention the road noise even though I did notice it from MN Highway 61 (the park sits between the highway and Lake Superior) and all sites are within a few hundred yards of the road.
+Quote Post
RLM
post Aug 6 2012, 09:00 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8584

QUOTE(jan-n-john @ Aug 3 2012, 01:44 PM) *

IMO, reviews on this website aren't a place to vent -- the purpose is to convey useful and pertinent information to others, and should be kept to that.

Amen!
+Quote Post
mdcamping
post Aug 6 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

I certainly agree this web site is no place for venting or flaming.

That said, If you hear or see things concerning campground rules/security not being enforced, something brief should be posted on the reviews to inform other RVers to let them know whats going on at the campground....That way were all helping each other out to insure all our camping experiences are enjoyable and safe.

Mike
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com