Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Truck Stops, overnight allowed?
jim crowl
post Sep 17 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33991

I've used a truck stop only once or twice, and a rest stop a few times over the years- mostly when trying to get somewhere as soon as possible, so driving till fairly late at night. The truck stops had plenty of space, and I did not have any problems. When I thought about the noise I said "hey, it's free".

I've never stopped overnight at a Walmart, but it must be fun....lots of lawn chairs and barbecue's on the lot to use, even little swimming pools you can fill if you have grandchildren! Of course you have to use the adapter when unplugging the coke machine for your power source. Just kidding folks!!! tongue.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
John Blue
post Sep 17 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 214

Keep in mind that the Flying-J will let you park with truck in most places. The TA could block you from parking with trucks in a lot of stops but OK to park in front of store. We see this at lots of TA truck pumps. Some small truck stops will also block you out.

--------------------
John
Brandon, Fl.
FMCA F-248693
Foretravel MH
Honda CRV tow
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Sep 17 2011, 06:28 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16651

QUOTE(joez @ Sep 9 2011, 01:50 PM) *

And the best thing about truck stops are the hard working "ladies" and "gentlemen" going from truck to truck. Fun to explain that behavior to grand kids.

Um, they are delivering coffee? tongue.gif tongue.gif You mean there are now "gentlemen" doing this too? ooooooo-KAY....

--------------------
JJ from Pacific Northwest

Check out my blog on TOADLESS RVing!
http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me some suggestions.
+Quote Post
MCRANE
post Sep 17 2011, 10:38 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 52137

QUOTE(joez @ Sep 9 2011, 04:50 PM) *

And the best thing about truck stops are the hard working "ladies" and "gentlemen" going from truck to truck. Fun to explain that behavior to grand kids.

If Joez would shut the curtains and quit peeking out the Windows , those lot lizzards would quit hanging around his rv. Lol
+Quote Post
campergal
post Sep 27 2011, 03:34 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16795

My husband was a trucker and one challenge he said would come up is that truckers are not allowed to stop at a lot of places (now, this is primarily Canada) so they need the truckstops and if they get to one that is filled and there are RVs in there that's makes it difficult for the trucker. I'm guessing it might not be as much an issue in the States but was an issue in Canada.
+Quote Post
Galli
post Sep 27 2011, 04:10 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4833

QUOTE(campergal @ Sep 27 2011, 02:34 PM) *

My husband was a trucker and one challenge he said would come up is that truckers are not allowed to stop at a lot of places (now, this is primarily Canada) so they need the truckstops and if they get to one that is filled and there are RVs in there that's makes it difficult for the trucker. I'm guessing it might not be as much an issue in the States but was an issue in Canada.

one.Hi campergal, I understand your concern and I am sorry for your husband's problems but being on the road it should be the right of the first come, unless the place is specifically identified as not available for RVers.
I understand that your husband is working and need time to break but even the RVers are travelling long hours and I think they have the right to occupy an available space if they are using the facility to fill up the truck’s tank and the restaurant before going to sleep for a few hours.
Notwithstanding the inconvenience that you described above, I am an RVer, I wouldn't mind if some one , with good manners, would ask me to move in a smaller place of the facility to let a big truck to take the bigger place. It is only matter of good interrelation between adults
+Quote Post
campergal
post Oct 3 2011, 03:20 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16795

Hi Galli - understand what you are saying and totally agree however, a mall operator is less likely to ask an RV'er to leave the premises but will immediately ask a truck driver to leave. This we have encountered first hand. We had pulled over at a truck stop that was filled and ended up having to go to a mall parking lot and were immediately asked to leave. We had no choice but to move on.

Again, probably not so much an issue in the States, but in Canada very much so as there is a noticeable lack of rest stops on the side of the highway which are in abundance throughout the States.

As long as a trucker has a spot to pull over legally and safely it's not an issue but if they are forced to continue driving over the their hours because a truck stop is full then I believe it's an issue.
+Quote Post
Galli
post Oct 3 2011, 04:44 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4833

QUOTE(Galli @ Sep 27 2011, 03:10 PM) *

one.Hi campergal, I understand your concern and I am sorry for your husband's problems but being on the road it should be the right of the first come, unless the place is specifically identified as not available for RVers.
I understand that your husband is working and need time to break but even the RVers are travelling long hours and I think they have the right to occupy an available space if they are using the facility to fill up the truck’s tank and the restaurant before going to sleep for a few hours.
Notwithstanding the inconvenience that you described above, I am an RVer, I wouldn't mind if some one , with good manners, would ask me to move in a smaller place of the facility to let a big truck to take the bigger place. It is only matter of good interrelation between adults

I see but, in my opinion it is more matter of courtesy than real right, I wouldn’t mind if a truck driver comes to me and ask to an other location on the premises where it would be easer for him to part his truck.
The only point at issue, in a similar case it should be, offering some place to the RVer. to park.
It is very difficult to accept is some one comes there and ask your place and no alternate space is available, specially if this is happening deep at night.
In Canada, Ontario, I am commuting frequently between Ottawa and Hearts, I see that there are not many spaces but I always found a corner to park my unit.
Bye Galli
+Quote Post
FranznHilga
post Dec 9 2011, 05:49 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 65254

Always best to call ahead and ask. We have over nighted at truck stops to catch a few winks and had no trouble. Leave the slides in and don't get to settled and you will be fine. As mentioned Flying J and Pilot (same corp. now) are good, Travel Centers of America, Petro, Loves, are some of the majors. I like Flying J/Pilot becasue you can get the RV Club card and scan and fill up without the usual dollar limits. I have to go to the truck lanes so this is really helpful! Once filled I ask at the counter if it's okay to park. I have not had any issues.

--------------------
Blessings,
Franz & Hilga
www.yourfulltimervliving.com
+Quote Post
Don-in-GA
post Jan 22 2012, 08:05 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 64863

My wife and I stayed at a truck stop once years ago in our RV. The constant truck traffic coming and going all night and all the engines running made it impossible to sleep. And on top of that the diesel fumes were choking when they made there way into the RV. I will gladly pay my fee next time in a RV park if I have a choice.
+Quote Post
Fitzjohnfan
post Jan 23 2012, 09:51 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41655

I read through this thread, and I think there is some confusion about where to park at truck stops. We used a Flying J last year and at first we parked in the area where the trucks parked. At first it seemed ok, but then the trucks started to crowd in and it got really noisy, plus I got the feeling we weren't welcome. I went inside to get a few things and noticed a few RV's in an outlying area where the cars parked. I asked if we could stay there and they said fine. It was very quiet there, just like staying in a Wal-mart parking lot.

I would not hesitate to stay there again if it was convienent.

--------------------
Chris G.
Westminster, CO
FMCA: F3508-S
1989 32' Southwind MH
+Quote Post
JBH
post Feb 2 2012, 10:48 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14541

IMO, truck stops have those great big parking lots for trucks...the trucks are why the truck stop is there in the first place. I can't even begin to imagine what an uproar in the RV community it would cause if the truckers started staying at RV parks instead of where they are intended to have what they need...I would imagine the forums would come alive with the complaints. Personally, I get my gas there because they cater to our sized vehicles but I park in places I belong in, not their space. I have seen truck stops where several RV's are parked in the truck area and the trucks have to park elsewhere (I personally think this is rude of us since they are making their living and we are enjoying our travels). The drivers don't like us because we get in their way...there is nothing that gives them more right on the roads, but I feel they have first rights to the truck stop since it is there for them in the first place.
+Quote Post
Bandit23
post Feb 13 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 22436

Hey y'all. I was an over the road drive for a number of years and I can tell you that the rig I now drive is just as long and about as heavy as one of the big rigs. Yes I believe the drivers of the big rigs should have the spaces in the "truck" part but then again the rigs some of us drive aren't exactly out front rigs. I'm right at 65' with the MH and trailer. What truckers hate is to start to pull in to what looks like an empty slot to find a 28' class 'C' sitting there, or even worse a 21' class 'B'. I've used truck stops, but I always go to the overflow area and try to get a spot no driver would want to try to get into. One night we parked next to a refer but in the morning there was a cattle hauler there, wife noticed the odor...

--------------------
x];-}
Mike

2000 Beaver Contessa
2010 Suzuki Vitara
1998 Yamaha Tour Classic
http://greenbeavertravels.blogspot.com/
+Quote Post
MCRANE
post Mar 13 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 52137

QUOTE(JBH @ Feb 3 2012, 12:48 AM) *

IMO, truck stops have those great big parking lots for trucks...the trucks are why the truck stop is there in the first place. I can't even begin to imagine what an uproar in the RV community it would cause if the truckers started staying at RV parks instead of where they are intended to have what they need...I would imagine the forums would come alive with the complaints. Personally, I get my gas there because they cater to our sized vehicles but I park in places I belong in, not their space. I have seen truck stops where several RV's are parked in the truck area and the trucks have to park elsewhere (I personally think this is rude of us since they are making their living and we are enjoying our travels). The drivers don't like us because we get in their way...there is nothing that gives them more right on the roads, but I feel they have first rights to the truck stop since it is there for them in the first place.

Perfectly said. As a truck driver/ rver it makes me crazy when I here these cry babies whining about how the trucks come and go all night, and the diesel fumes and refer noises. I'm so sick of these people thinking life is all about them. It's a truck stop built to cater to the needs of truck drivers. Trucks have to come and go all night long while your spoiled butt sleeps. If you don't want to hear them don't park at a truck stop, instead go to a rv park were you can complain about kids, dogs, and everything else that makes you such a miserable person.
+Quote Post
Cape Codger
post Mar 13 2012, 08:23 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 28215

QUOTE(MCRANE @ Mar 13 2012, 12:52 PM) *

Perfectly said. As a truck driver/ rver it makes me crazy when I here these cry babies whining about how the trucks come and go all night, and the diesel fumes and refer noises. I'm so sick of these people thinking life is all about them. It's a truck stop built to cater to the needs of truck drivers. Trucks have to come and go all night long while your spoiled butt sleeps. If you don't want to hear them don't park at a truck stop, instead go to a rv park were you can complain about kids, dogs, and everything else that makes you such a miserable person.

biggrin.gif

Just to lighten up this forum and add humor I have to add this. I in my former life did drive trucks but this trip took the cake with our new kitten.

We are hated and banned from Pilot Truck Stops (Not Really).
Do not laugh at me, this isn't funny. But for some reason I can laugh now about it.
We stopped at a Pilot Truck stop for the usual Sleep, Food and Fuel in Newburgh NY. I of course took off my hearing aids and went to sleep.
The next thing I know is my wife is getting hysterical because some truck was beeping his horn insistently and another truck was going back and forth only a foot at most along us and had a good loud backup alarm plus his flashers going (you know how tight they make spaces at truck stops).
Took him about ten tries to get in. I went back to sleep for a few hours and got up and did my food and fuel bit and left. My wife was still very upset about those inconsiderate trucks and how she only got a little sleep from it.
Fast Forward to next night in campground. We are all setup this time I have my hearing aids on. All of a sudden we hear a horn beep and we say to each other, who would be blowing their horn in this campground? All of a sudden we hear a continuous blowing and realize it is our rig. Run up front and find Smokey with his front paws on the dash or top of steering wheel and his rear paws, you got it, on the horn. Had to put a cushion across the wheel and tie it off. Then the horn blowing we heard the night before in the truck stop hit us.
Smokey, being the snoop he is and always looking around for something to get into must of seen the truck backing in and climbed up the wheel to watch and throw in his two cents. Of course now I know the poor truck driver thinks I am blowing my horn at him and keeps trying to get in.
I really feel sorry for all the drivers Smokey woke or rattled. Plus I can hear it at the restaurant about the rotten RV driver blowing his horn at the trucker.
Now I have the steering wheel covered at night.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com